Join Strat-Talk Today

New Strat - 1st string slipping off fretboard

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by JonnyBGood, Apr 11, 2019.

1. JonnyBGood

JonnyBGood Strat-Talk Member

Below are some pics of my new Fender Deluxe Roadhouse, (upper end of the MIM).

Pretty soon after it arrived (online purchase from main/reputable UK dealer) I took it to my guitar tech for a full setup as there were several things that needed tweaking inc crowning the frets (the black pick guard is a mod).

I got it back a few days ago and notice my first 1st string keeps slipping off the fretboard, in the middle of the neck especially with things like partial barres. Not sure whether this is only occurring after the setup or not as I didn't play it for that long after it arrived before realising it needed some work.

To me it looks and feels like the 1st string is too close to the edge of the board, the clearance between the string and the bevelled edge of the frets is just tiny and the slightest downward pressure means it slips off. Also looks to me like the 6th string is too far away from the edge, so it's like the bridge is in the wrong place or something. Nut string spacing seems fine.

Anyway what do you guys think? If this does look wrong is there an adjustment that can be made?

I'm not a guitar newb (I'm mainly a fingerstyle player and have been gigging with a nylon strung for many years) but this is my first Strat.

strat 1.jpg strat3.jpg strat nut.jpg

circles and 3bolt79 like this.
  2. Belexes

Belexes Strat-Talker

Show us a picture of the bridge from above and from behind at eye level.

mad axe man and 3bolt79 like this.
  3. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Strat-Talk Supporter

loosen the neck screws about 2 or 3 turns each.....grab the neck and try to pull it towards the bigger strings, then tighten the screws back. usually doing this will fix that problem. people here do it all the time.

Ruscio, funkysoul, CeltRocka and 30 others like this.
  4. joebloggs

joebloggs Strat-Talker

Maybe a new nut...

RadioFM74 likes this.
  5. Wrighty

Wrighty Senior Stratmaster

I reckon it’s partly your technique, nylon stringers usually have a wider, flatter neck and it’ll take some getting used to but, heed heltershelton’s advice and tweak the neck relative to the body. Even the smallest shift will make a big difference. Pic of the whole guitar would be good, sure looks nice!

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  6. l88vette

l88vette Strat-Talker

My guess is the problem is at the bridge and the saddle needs adjustment. As Belexes said show us a picture of the bridge above and behind. When you had the guitar set up this should have been caught before returning it to you. When they restrung it I would have thought they would have corrected it but it doesn't look all that bad.

BuffaloHound likes this.
  7. jaxjaxon

jaxjaxon Strat-Talker

leaving the strings under tension loosen the neck screws enough so the neck will seat in to the neck pocket retighten the screws and see if that has straightend out correctly. If it didn't work loosen the screws again and put a thin shim into the area between the body and the neck at the low E side to move the neck down enough before tightening the screws.Another way is to shift the bridge saddle's over in the direction you need to go, but they may not stay in that position. And you can take the neck off and correct it there by sanding a little off the heal of the neck or the pocket route.

8. tschucha

tschucha Strat-Talker

What he said.

9. Belexes

Belexes Strat-Talker

Check the bridge saddles first before doing neck stuff.

KG7IL, 3bolt79 and heltershelton like this.
  10. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Strat-Talk Supporter

yes, check the saddles first. I should have said this.

KG7IL and Stratoskater like this.
  11. ajb1965

ajb1965 Strat-Talker

And maybe have a talk with your guitar tech too?? They shouldn't have missed that

KG7IL, AxemanVR and 3bolt79 like this.
  12. DJGranite

DJGranite Strat-Talker

You have to loosen neck screws slightly, pull neck towards upper horn while holding body, check string alignment, Repeat as needed, tighten neck screws. Takes 3 minutes.
    Its pretty common for this to happen.
    Its an adjustment you make any time you remove your neck.
    Repair skill needed. Beginner level
    Tools required: Screwdriver (Phillips head)

Have someone hold your beer... You got this. :D
    Truly usually NBD

13. Sangetsu

Sangetsu Strat-Talker

As others have said, the neck is obviously not straight. It’s a one-minute fix if you have a screwdriver, but whoever you paid to set up the guitar should have noticed the problem.

Ruscio, Thrup'ny Bit and radd like this.
  14. Lone Woof

Lone Woof Senior Stratmaster

Loosen the strings before you shift the neck to the bass side.

15. BuffaloHound

BuffaloHound Strat-Talker

The nut spacing isn’t perfect, but it doesn’t look awful to me. Although it’s hard to be certain with the limited pic angles you posted. We really need more pictures to be certain, especially the view down the guitar from bridge from multiple angles. You should post said pics before making any adjustments.
    The only thing I’m certain of from your pics is that you badly need your fret ends cleaned up. The low E side beyond the 12th fret looks especially gnarly to me.

16. JonnyBGood

JonnyBGood Strat-Talk Member

Ok first of all big thanks, seems there's a consensus that there is an issue and the way to resolve it. I won't mess with anything yet...
    Here are the extra pics several of you asked for, apologies for duplicates I have tried a few times to delete and upload just one.

20190412_114633.jpg 20190412_114633.jpg 20190412_114734.jpg 20190412_114849.jpg 20190412_114936.jpg 20190412_114950.jpg 20190412_115003.jpg 20190412_114633.jpg 20190412_114734.jpg 20190412_114849.jpg 20190412_114936.jpg 20190412_114950.jpg 20190412_115003.jpg 20190412_114601.jpg

17. guitartwonk

guitartwonk Strat-O-Master

Wow, that top E string is already seated way over to the innermost side of the bridge saddle. If it were seated centrally to the saddle, my guess is the string would be off the board completely. I would definitely consider re-seating the neck to fix this. If that then gives not enough room for the bottom string, then I'd suggest the problem is that the string spacing at the bridge is off - would a bridge with narrower spacing (and hence narrower saddles) be an option?

18. newplayeroldguy

newplayeroldguy in the wind

show the string tree(s)?

19. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Strat-O-Master

I also think that the asymmetry starts already up at the nut. But I tend to think that @heltershelton ’s remedy is what the doctor orders here.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    Groovey likes this.
  20. guitartwonk

guitartwonk Strat-O-Master

Yep. And @DJGranite's too. Especially the part about the beer. Beer always helps. :thumb:

Groovey, DJGranite and RadioFM74 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.