Join Strat-Talk Today

New Strat - 1st string slipping off fretboard

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by JonnyBGood, Apr 11, 2019.

1. maqcatt

maqcatt Strat-O-Master

What is wrong is having th OP going through all those actions when the problem is simply solved by aligning the neck properly. Not guessing.
    I know this by looking at the photos and from over 50 years of experience setting up and working on guitars.
    it's a very common misalignment issue.

Other seasoned guitarists/techs on this forum agree with me (check the 'likes') and have given the same advice about realigning the neck.
    I dont give a rat's a$$ if you don't like my "thought process".

S Mac

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019 at 2:07 AM
    nutball73 and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  2. BuffaloHound

BuffaloHound Strat-Talker

How could realigning your saddle positions to true straightness of string tension possibly introduce new problems?

3. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

"true straightness of string tension" ????? Never heard that term before. Please expound and also please expound on how if the neck is misaligned you will even be able to straighten the saddles.

4. BuffaloHound

Apologies, but it appears you have had a misguide approach for 50+ years. I truly hope that you can learn from this process, even if you can’t listen to or address other perspectives.
    I believe Hendrix once said, “knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.” It would seem you are not wise.

5. maqcatt

maqcatt Strat-O-Master

You're describing yourself. No apologies.
    If you read back through our posts, see that i simply called your advice to the OP wrong and offered the solution.
    You took offence and attacked me; more than once now. Give it up.

S Mac

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019 at 2:45 AM
    nutball73 likes this.
  6. BuffaloHound

A string under increasing tension will produce an increasingly straight line. I’m not sure that that’s a term people are familiar with, but it’s a sound idea.

I never said that straightening the saddles under string tension would be the end game. But it’s a good start.

7. BuffaloHound

And yet you have not addresed any of the reflective questions I proposed to you. Or any of my questions about your argument for set-up preferences. At this point I’ll assume you’re just talking about things you have experienced, and not listening to others...
    When you develop a question about my POV please ask away. Until then you’re just talking. Your responses appear basic at the moment.

8. guitartwonk

guitartwonk Strat-O-Master

[​IMG]

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

9. Lovnmesomestrat

Lovnmesomestrat Strat-O-Master

"Most every kernel pops!" Orville Redenbacher

LMSS

guitartwonk and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  10. JonnyBGood

JonnyBGood Strat-Talk Member

Whoa guys, please lets stick on topic.

Ok I tried loosening screws/reseating the neck and wanted things to settle before reporting back with photos. Firstly I could feel the neck move after loosening the screws, no problem, but as soon as I let go of the tension to hold it here it would spring back with a creak to where it was, I tried this several times and ending up loosening the screws quite a lot see if it made any difference.

I decided to move the neck, hold it in place and reach round to screw back in one of the screws to hold it there before screwing the rest of the plate screws back down.

This seems to have helped some, though looking at the position of 3rd and 4th string relative to fret markers its not quite resolved my issue fully. New pics below, last one is @ 5th fret.

12th fret markers against 2nd and 5th string perhaps even more revealing, though my eyes tell me the nut spacing between 6th and fifth is larger than others, I don't have anything fine enough to measure the differences though.

20190414_103509.jpg 20190414_103556.jpg 20190414_103645.jpg 20190414_103741.jpg 20190414_103758.jpg 20190414_103818.jpg

nutball73 and RadioFM74 like this.
  11. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Strat-O-Master

Well, it looks a lot better than it was. Has it solved the issue? You’re not looking for perfection in alignment to the fret markers, you’re looking for a well-playing neck. So if it plays well, I’d say it’s good to go.

If you’re still unhappy, I had the impression that the nut spacing was a bit uneven. To measure, you can get a cheap caliper at the closest store. And if the measurings are off, you may want to replace the nut. Pretty cheap, and solved a lot of problems with one of my guitars.

PS: I can’t believe this got so heated. OP asks for advice. He gets plenty. He will decide what to do based on it. No reason to “yell" at him – even if he had just given up and taken the guitar to a tech. I do my own setups but remember well a time when touching the bolts made me nervous. Anyone disagrees with advice given by others? No reason to disrespect one another. Chill, gentlemen.

12. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Loosen all the screws a couple of turns. Pull the neck over. Hold it there and tighten all the screws. Rinse and repeat until you get it in the right place.

After doing the first 20 or 30, you'll get it right first time.

MIM nuts tend to be badly spaced in my (albeit limited) experience. I've replaced them on several.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019 at 6:49 AM
  13. JonnyBGood

Yes that's exactly what I did, sorry if my post wasn't clear. It seems to be as far over as it will go, I don't want to force it.

I take your point about the nut, not surprised by your experience - TBH I kind of expected I might need a new nut cut when I bought the guitar. Really nice spec for the money but I'm sure American build/quality control is a little better.

I just wanted to be sure this neck issue wasn't a 'return and ask for refund' (from the dealer) situation before I got a new nut cut.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019 at 8:19 AM
    nutball73 likes this.
  14. Thrup'ny Bit

It's like building wardrobe kits, sometimes you have a good day, others...

15. Yves

Yves Senior Stratmaster

Could you have a misplace shim in the neck pocket?
    Though I doubt the presence of a shim to be common feature for a MIM.

16. Thrup'ny Bit

Any factory shim in the pocket would be under the neck heel, not either side of it...

17. maqcatt

maqcatt Strat-O-Master

If you read back through our posts, see that I simply called your advice to the OP wrong and unnecessary and offered the solution.
    You took offence and attacked me; more than once now. Give it up.

S Mac

nutball73 and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  18. guitartwonk

guitartwonk Strat-O-Master

It all looks much better already, certainly no worse than some of my guitars. I tend to lube my nuts (I just know this will be taken out of context) with 3-in-1, just a tiny drop. It really helps with tuning stability.

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

JonnyBGood likes this.
  19. JonnyBGood

I think it's improved the issue, I need to have more playing time to see for sure and make sure I'm not unconsciously 'looking for the problem' feels like I occasionally (not as much) fall off the board round about the 9th fret area (where the string is least taut) with *some* techniques (eg partial barres on top strings, thumb wrapped a la Hendrix). Playing 10s @ concert pitch BTW.

Thrup'ny Bit and RadioFM74 like this.
  20. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

It looks good to me. Note that on my personal guitars I tend to give myself more room on the high E because I bend it, whereas the low E I don't. This is especially true with vintage spaced bridges where the strings are very close to the width of the neck.

I"d suggest now just slackening the strings, wiggling the saddles a bit (technical term) and then returning to pitch. You may find the saddles shift a little but and the strings come into line with the dots. Or not, it doesn't really matter much if the guitar plays well.

Thrup'ny Bit, maqcatt and JonnyBGood like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.