Join Strat-Talk Today

New Strat - 1st string slipping off fretboard

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by JonnyBGood, Apr 11, 2019.

1. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

For reference, here are some pics of a couple of my partscasters. You’ll see that string spacing varies as does string position on the saddles. Both play fantastically well.

67412778-D59B-4DA6-AC7C-A619F724C133.jpeg ED3A172D-89C1-4E7E-BBB4-FDE6929FDDF1.jpeg E58A37C5-2CE6-403B-88D6-C63BC4E51A25.jpeg C1332303-B507-4259-B410-E00E6A4402A3.jpeg

Thrup'ny Bit and JonnyBGood like this.
  2. JonnyBGood

JonnyBGood Strat-Talk Member

Nutball - Yes I think the greater clearance you have for the 1st string vs 6th would suit me better.

3. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

My Classic Player, the nearest thing I've got.

spacing.png CP50 bridge.jpg

JonnyBGood and nutball73 like this.
  4. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

Auto correct screwed up my first sentence. It was supposed to say see how the low E is shifted. You are the one who is acting ignorant. Plenty of folks have all said the same thing, losses the bolts and shift the neck. You instead propose he do a bunch of other stuff that could as dadocaster said introduce other issues. Many of the folks who have suggested shifting the neck have been playing and working on guitars longer than you have been alive so I’d take thier advice of yours any day of the week plus I’ve done the neck shift thing several times myself.

Maybe it’s the weight of the glue in the OP’s guitar that’s causing the issue ;):D

maqcatt likes this.
  5. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I was a bit curious at the guide cuts on the factory nut on my Fender neck that I used for a Partscaster build. It too did not have the strings evenly spaced across the neck. It didn't bother me because I had intended from the beginning to replace it with a Tusq nut.
    But in my case, IIRC, the nut was offset toward the top of the neck, not the bottom.
    Sounds like my experience (with one MiM neck) is not unique.
    My US-built AmSpec seems to be spaced properly, but the depth of the cuts is far from perfect, and it's a little long on the treble side.
    It will be replaced with a Tusq at the next string change.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019 at 5:12 PM
    RadioFM74 likes this.
  6. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Strat-O-Master

For that matters, my own experience with a MIM nut (on an otherwise great guitar) was: replace.

7. CB91710

Here's the factory nut on my MiM Classic 70s replacement neck.
    Yep... looks like this one is getting replaced too.
    Spacing on the edges of the neck isn't bad, but the A-D spacing is noticeably less than the other strings.

[​IMG]

kris ford likes this.
  8. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

In my experience the replacement necks come with a nut blank, they may have some guide notches but hasn't actually got nut slots. You can probably just cut the correct nut slots and that nut will work - just sand off the guide notches if it bothers you.

Same with the other nut in your pics - you can sand off the overhang on the treble side, and if the slots are the correct depth but you don't like the excess, sand down the top of the nut.

9. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 Strat-O-Master

If returning it for a guitar without this trouble is an option, I’d definitely take that route.

10. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 Strat-O-Master

81ABCA4C-3636-4774-BC68-001B1132E860.gif FWIW, this is how you make windbags the most beautiful thing you’ve ever seen...

11. kris ford

kris ford Strat-Talker

My spacing seemed to be serviceable..
    strat head.jpg
    ...but, I need to knock the height down and round off the corners a tad..plays fine as is and tuning is very stable!

Are you going with one or 2 string trees?

12. CB91710

Oh of course they are easily fixable, and replacement of the AmSpec nut would mean the same would be needed since the Tusq nuts are intentionally long.

But if the production line uses the guide notches, that might explain why we see people unhappy with the MiM nuts.
    I'll have to try to find the blank from my Tele build, but the guide notch spacing on the blank was even worse than the Classic.

13. maqcatt

maqcatt Strat-O-Master

"The Bag"
    by Eric Apoe

CyFan4036 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.