Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

New (to me) Pickup Set Inbound...

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by Silvercrow, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Silvercrow

Silvercrow Senior Stratmaster

Nov 6, 2014
    Bucks County, Pa.
    LOL couldn't tell you how many times / how many different Seymour Duncan pickups I listened to last evening via their website and Youtube. Finally got ear fatigue and called it a night.

Started again today and added another set to listen to- the Duncan Hendrix "Signature" set. Now, I'm not a "signature" anything type guy- so that had nothing to do with my selection. BUT- the tonal characteristics in the 2&4 positions and the neck position solo are just great IMO. AND there is that throatiness that I'm looking for.

$279 clams. Good golly Molly Hendrix!

Spotted a set on Reverb, used, excellent condition. $200.00 WITH wiring harness. Spoke to the seller and after some more research pulled the trigger.

We'll see.

LOL I forget the guys name- but Duncan has used him before on videos for their pickups- including the Saturday Night Specials. Love that dudes playing. Yeah- the video and audio are MORE than adequately produced but listening to the audio on the Duncan website without the "backing" band. I LOVE what I'm hearing. Link below- just click "off" the backing band and you can listen to the pickups themselves.

Praying that THIS will be the set I keep in the guitar for a LONG time...:)

https://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup/jimi-hendrix-signature-strat-set

I'll post a review when i get them installed...

Brian

2. sjtalon

sjtalon Senior Stratmaster

>Praying that THIS will be the set I keep in the guitar for a LONG time...:)<

You are serious aren't you ?

:D

Groovey and Silvercrow like this.
  3. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    The EU
    What? Noo, you need the Five-Twos!

Silvercrow likes this.
  4. jrbirdman

jrbirdman Senior Stratmaster

Feb 3, 2016
    Elk Plain, Wa.
    they sound nice - hope they work out for you...enjoy!

Silvercrow likes this.
  5. Silvercrow

Nov 6, 2014
    Bucks County, Pa.
    Desperate would be the operative word...:confused:

Do you have a set? Or just from what you've listened to? THANKS for the well wishes!

Brian

fattboyzz likes this.
  6. jrbirdman

jrbirdman Senior Stratmaster

Feb 3, 2016
    Elk Plain, Wa.
    Just checking the sound bites on the SD site.

It's easy to chase the sound in your head...the hard part is finding it.

Amps are next...LOL

Silvercrow likes this.
  7. Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan Senior Stratmaster

That Hendrix set *is* really special, and that is a great price. Let us know how it works out.

8. Silvercrow

Nov 6, 2014
    Bucks County, Pa.
    YES! I'm gonna 'chance' saying this out loud (sorta;);)) I'm VERY happy with the amp tones I'm getting. My modelers are working extremely well for me; lots of usable models and tones. Initially my biggest problem was endless tweaking; I was spending more time making 'fine tune' adjustments on the computer programming than playing. Got four / five basic models I use regularly and enjoy. But you are right- now that I've had somewhat of a taste of Marshall/ Plexi...I DO BELIEVE the tone will be enhanced by smelling hot tubes / warm amp components by having the "real thing"! LOL:p

THANKS! I will! The seller claims over 20 years as a guitar tech and is a constant experimenter / tweaker. Great 'reviews' too. The set looks pristine and he used quality components for the harness. Praying for the best!

BTW- I know I'm not the only one to say this- but you folks are on my 'short list' for all things pickups! Top notch quality and a plethora of various styles / tonality! I also appreciate the sound clips you have and your videos. There are other pickup designers / makers who, although having great products, have LAME (IMO) audio and video exemplars. Although I realize it's difficult to judge tonality via computer / internet, you folks go a long way toward doing what you can to make decision-making a bit easier. Your "exchange" policy is great and on par with other 'high end' or "Boutique" winders / makers, too.

Brian

9. Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan Senior Stratmaster

Thank you for noticing these things!

Andrew Wasson and Silvercrow like this.
  10. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Strat-Talker

Nov 6, 2018
    Vancouver, Canada
    Really interested in what you think of these when you get them. I’m not really in the market for another set of pickups but I’m curious all the same.

Silvercrow likes this.
  11. Silvercrow

Nov 6, 2014
    Bucks County, Pa.
    I'd be happy to do so! I'll give a 'review' after I get them installed.

It'll be about 2 weeks (!) Taking FOREVER (spoiled new world comment, but it has been SIX days from Iowa) and my Strat is going in for a properly cut bone nut on Monday and I've asked my guy to install the set at that point.

I love reading 'real world' reviews and hearing 'real world' audio of pickups, amps, guitars etc. I NEED to learn how to upload audio. Not that my playing is great or anything, but so much of the audio / video reviews I research are either over-produced extravaganzas, lame (IMO) or otherwise uninformative (for instance recent 'view' on YouTube- guy (?) is playing guitar (close up- all you can see are hands and 3 pickups, part of neck) hand signals rather than words, NO explanation of whats going on. You can sorta determine it's an S style guitar, sorta decipher which pickup is being played by ear only, NO info on amp / effects settings), blah blah blah.

I'm just a crabby old guy...LOL:mad:

I'll let you know when I do a review. THANKS!

Brian

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  12. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Senior Stratmaster

Sep 24, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Thank you Brian for chasing tone via Seymour Duncan . These leftovers are delicious ;0)

I sicereily hope you have found the Grail with the recent purchase ! 20181102_175119.jpg

13. Silvercrow

Nov 6, 2014
    Bucks County, Pa.
    WOW!!

Can't tell you how pleased this makes me!

They look GREAT in your guitar! (Nice pickguard, too!;)) I'm SO glad you like 'em!!

Thanks for posting this!!

Brian

RiverPickups and fattboyzz like this.
  14. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Senior Stratmaster

May 11, 2018
    Illinois
    Good luck, Brian! Looking forward to your review of them!

Silvercrow likes this.
  15. Silvercrow

Nov 6, 2014
    Bucks County, Pa.
    THANKS Brother! So am I!:p

Brian

16. Silvercrow

Nov 6, 2014
    Bucks County, Pa.
    THEY ARRIVED TODAY! (FINALLY- 7 days from Iowa- see thread about putting my mind at ease while USPS S L O W L Y got them to me).

The seller left VERY long leads on them and assembled them to a "harness" with "True Vintage" Fender pots and "Luxe" repro caps, 1uF (or is that mF?) anyway 1 micro farad. Used cloth push back wire and a USA switch too. Looks like good components all through.

Everything looks OK- I'm going to do a hook up "off" the guitar just to make sure all is working. I'm not feeling comfortable enough to un-solder, cut and re-solder all the pickup leads (that could change; maybe I could get comfortable) I don't know HOW I'd fold / tuck all the extra lead wire. I'm glad he left the leads long, but I can't imagine how it got everything to sit correctly.

Anxious to see how the caps will effect the tone roll off. Conventional thoughts, I suppose, are that it will make the pickups top end dark- maybe too dark. But sound samples I've heard have been pretty impressive to my ears and they are an item that can easily be swapped out.

No idea how the "True Vintage" pots will be; to the best of my knowledge I've never played a guitar that had 'em!

Mounted them to an AllParts Mint Green guard; cream knobs, switch tip, and pickup covers. All AllParts except for the covers- STRATosphere. Incidentally- STRATosphere's covers are well made- color is good- seem robust. KNOW though, that the plastic is thicker and the fit to the pickups is firm / tight,compared to most other cover's I've seen (not an expert and have seen only 2 or 3 "Makes" of these parts. AllParts stuff is ALWAYS great IMO- great fit, finish and attention to detail.

The covers that come with these pickups are white with a Hendrix "signature" and "SD" logo. Looks good, but I'm not into the signature thing.

Excited to see how this will all turn out!

If anyone wants to chime in with predictions or info- feel free.

I'll get a pic or two posted tomorrow.

STAY TUNED- at rehearsal :cool: and here, for a review under a separate post!

Brian

17. Silvercrow

Nov 6, 2014
    Bucks County, Pa.
    @fattboyzz - I've directed a few of my friends to the pic you posted. Unanimous decision is: the B-R-B pickguard looks GREAT on a gloss black guitar:thumb: !

Brian

fattboyzz and Andrew Wasson like this.
  18. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA
    Great news ,Brian ! Let's us know...

Strat Jacket and Silvercrow like this.
  19. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 Dog WhispereR Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 20, 2011
    Private.
    @Silvercrow
    Very happy New Pickups Day to you, buddy !!

20. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Lost Planet Airman Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 26, 2010
    Scott La.
    Cool Beans @Silvercrow ! Those sound great on the demo. Now I want a set for the Monty...