Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Newbie Used Strat Buying Question

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by bear_down_chicago, May 13, 2018.

1. bear_down_chicago

bear_down_chicago Strat-Talk Member

May 13, 2018
    chicago, USA
    Hi all ... i am a still a very new guitar player, but am interested in buying a strat (I already have a Tele as my main guitar). I was thinking of just buying either a Classic Vibe Squier or MIM Standard Strat, but started looking around on craigslist and saw a pretty nice 2008 American Standard pretty close to my office for a reasonable price (have not negotiated at all yet).

A couple dumb questions ...

1. Are there any years that are particularly bad that should be avoided? The one in question is a 2008.

2. The seller has not shared the entire serial # yet (says he will if i am serious but is worried about getting scammed online by a buyer ... which i understand). The seller is about 10 minutes from my office, so i can go see it in person. He did tell me it starts with Z8 .. which i think is in line with Fender standards for 2008 american standard.

Thanks in advance for any help ... i've been lurking (reading, but not posting) this forum for a bit and it's great!)

I can't post the link yet since i'm new here, but here is the item id in CL (i think you can search for it with this ... not sure ... will add link if the site lets me ) 6585568458

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-A-Holic Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Welcome to the forum! Here it is

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/msg/d/fender-american-stratocaster/6585568458.html

It's a legit American Standard with ash body in Sienna Sunburst, it was a bit more expensive I think $100 or so more than the regular ones....a decent deal at $800 if it's got the original case and if it has no problems like dings/dents in the frets, if the neck isn't warped, if the truss rod works, if the electronics all work and are original....

There are no bad years you should avoid...except late 1970s Fender Strats lol

bear_down_chicago likes this.

3. Vindibona1

Vindibona1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Ryan is correct on all counts. Actually that particular Strat is only 15 minutes from my house but I've sold off all my excess Strats, otherwise I'd probably go look at it.

Dents and dings will be obvious. Check the action and relief to make sure it is pretty low. [I always bring my allen wrenches and fine ruler to do a quick setup if one is needed before testing further.] Play all the way up and down the neck. If the action is low and no buzzing anywhere then you can be pretty certain that there isn't anything fundamentally wrong with the instrument. Plug it in. If it functions as it should then you're probably in pretty good shape.

Good luck.

Dougeryb and bear_down_chicago like this.

4. bear_down_chicago

May 13, 2018
    chicago, USA
    Thanks for posting the link for me and the advice. I was just nervous i'd go buy one and then someone tell me ... "oh you got stuck with a 2008 when the tried out those crappy pickups or frets or whatever".

5. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

May 2, 2016
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    Welcome and happy hunting. Don't forget pics if you get it

6. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Stratmaster

Feb 26, 2014
    LAS VEGAS , NV
    While most, if not all years of American Standards are pretty good, it's my opinion that 2008 thru 2011 are the best of the bunch. In 2008 the bridge was upgraded to straight, instead of offset screw saddles, but in 2012 they changed out the pups to (I think) Fat '50s, which don't seem to get as much love as the earlier units. I think this one is right in the sweet spot and if the frets aren't terribly worn and all else is good, including the case, anything $800 and below is a reasonable price. Fairly nicely matched grain and the Sienna burst is more subtle than most of that color. I'd prefer a rosewood fingerboard, but that's just me.

Make sure you post NGD pics when you get back from grabbing it, :D which I would do quickly before it escapes your grasp!

Nice Guitar!
    Gene

7. bear_down_chicago

May 13, 2018
    chicago, USA
    Crap .. he just sold it! Oh well .. back to CL hunting and thanks all for the advice!

8. Dougeryb

Dougeryb Strat-Talker

Apr 18, 2017
    Be sure to check the fret wear. Being an 08, will have some but if it so deep, requiring new frets, either talk him down a couple hundred or pass.

9. Guitarmageddon

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Gotta jump on these deals quick! Sometimes the listing is sold and gone in the first 1-2 hours....

10. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Stratmaster

Feb 26, 2014
    LAS VEGAS , NV
    So true, especially if it's a good guitar at a reasonable price!
    Gene

11. bear_down_chicago

May 13, 2018
    chicago, USA
    yeah, i woke up this morning thinking ... maybe i should go see what i can find on cl ... didn't really think it would go that fast.

Now i'm thinking about the Surf Pearl American Pro deal from Adorama ... did not really plan on buying another guitar today.

Guitarmageddon likes this.

12. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I would continue looking for that Classic Vibe. They are some of the best models out there right now, even better than the MIM's.

Erm, if I subscribed to that philosophy I would have never bought the one in my avatar (for $300 w/ OHSC in 1994).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:mad: :mad: :whistling: :)

13. Guitarmageddon

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    You have a good one, not all of them were - overall quality and neck to body mating / fitting wasn't that great on many of them at that time....

14. Guitaraxe

Guitaraxe Strat-O-Master

Aug 22, 2015
    States
    GC should have plenty of used AmSt in the $800 range. You might check them out.

15. Yogi

Yogi Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 21, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Not an issue if you are buying local. Not a risk at all to go check one out from Craigslist.

Guitarmageddon likes this.

16. bear_down_chicago

May 13, 2018
    chicago, USA

17. Guitarmageddon

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    That is an AWESOME price - Fender branded Lace Sensors are not made anymore since the late 1990s, and they were a better design than the new ones - however they are a unique sounding pickup - maybe listen to some clips of guitars with Lace red/silver/blue pickups and see if you like the sound.....

Those pickups alone can fetch 150-200 US used on the market....

Last edited: May 16, 2018 at 2:06 PM

18. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Senior Stratmaster

Mar 1, 2016
    England & France
    As @Guitarmageddon says.. that's a great deal on that guitar, and the owner sounds pretty straight and honest. An hours ride is well worth it for that guitar. Very rarely does something fall in your lap at the right price, at the right time, at the right place. If somethings good its always worth the effort..

19. bear_down_chicago

May 13, 2018
    chicago, USA
    Thanks to you and @Guitarmageddon for the feedback. I sent an email back to the seller and hope I can connect with him today or tomorrow.

ChukkerNation likes this.

20. Vjerilood

Vjerilood Senior Stratmaster

Jul 30, 2017
    USA
    My ‘98 Am St Tele is a tank, but I’m not sure how they were doing with Strats then.