Join Strat-Talk Today

Newbie w/ Questions

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by JCreasy, Apr 9, 2019.

1. JCreasy

JCreasy Strat-Talk Member

I will be inheriting a '99 American Standard in natural, maple neck. I am guessing that is ash. What can I expect? I am assuming a solid player, but nothing special. (It does have nice grain and appears to be unmolested). I am also expecting around $800.00 in value? (Appears very good condition).

Is there much variance from guitars of this period? I keep hearing about "good" ones and "bad" ones, but this seems pretty solid in the middle of the American Standard run (timewise). Frets look unworn. The guy I am getting it from picked it up in some kind of trade 10 years ago and never fooled around with it much.

Any help?

Also, does anyone want to share PICs of their natural finish with pickguard options? There is one out there that looks like a Chevy fin that is cool, some pearloids or patterns? I'd probably change that if I keep the guitar (instead of sell it).

Thanks,

JKC

2. EAllen

EAllen Strat-Talker

Sounds like a good find. Any guitar of decent origins can be a sweet player with a proper setup if unmolested.

Post pics when you get it!

Eric

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  3. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  4. guitarface

guitarface Senior Stratmaster

My brother has one of those. I love it.

5. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Senior Stratmaster

I think like any period these will vary somewhat from one to another because of the wood. In my experience necks have made more difference than bodies on Fenders. If you have a good neck that plays well and feels lively you'll be happy. If the neck isn't good for you, move the guitar along and find one that feels right to you.

To me, mint green looks good on just about any color Strat, natural included. The tailfin pickguards are mighty nice looking but bear in mind that the point is right where your forearm rests against the guitar, and it's sharp. They can be filed down a bit though, doesn't show except from very close up. Some of the Decoboom mid-century style patterns are very cool. I also like tortoise on natural, but for Heaven's sake avoid the red tortoise - to me it just screams cheap. This Decoboom would go well on natural:

[​IMG]

They have a really cool black one too:
    [​IMG]

6. JCreasy

OK. Funny you are posting DecoBoom. I am looking at them for a Tele style pickguard (Western or Native American motif) for an old Strings and Things Custom... If you can remember those things. Shaped a lot like a Les Paul, Tele style Pick-ups. Originally made in Memphis, now dilluted to St. Blues and imported.

I have a '97 Strato that I love, and an '03 that is OK but just never bonded with, but it may just be because the '97 was my first. It is Shoreline Gold with Parchment Pearloid guard and chrome dome knobs. The '03 is Sienna Sunburst (over Ash) with Parchment Pearloid and chrome dome knobs. I am wondering if DecoBoom would do that on a Pearloid guard. Now, that, would be cool.

Thanks for comment on neck and I'm surprised to hear of much of any variance in American Standards except for grain patterns and an occassional foul-up. All CNC machined, right? And slected by American Standard levels while the "... factory seconds" would seem to go to the lesser models, but I must admit that '03 just doesn't "... feel" quite the same. (Maybe because it is heavier).

In any event, thanks for the reply. Here is Shoreline Gold... "Number One." The Rosewood looks like Pau Ferro... Which is great on that color. There is a "... battle scar" near the end pin you cannot see, but adds to the vibe. Long story but fell while standing on a chair! Tweed G & G case with Red Poodle.

upload_2019-4-10_12-2-30.png

JKC

Alan Crossley likes this.
  7. banjaxed

banjaxed Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Hi and welcome to ST.

8. Alan Crossley

Alan Crossley Senior Stratmaster

Welcome from Ireland

9. JCreasy

Oh, and thanks for all the welcomes. I've been playing Stratocasters since '97 along with Ricks so I am hoping to build on my knowledge/experience and hopefully share something helpful with other folks.

10. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Senior Stratmaster

The difference between one Strat and another of the same model isn't in the carve - as you say, they're all computer-cut these days. But there are differences in the wood, not just weight but also liveliness and perhaps resonant pitch. Even in the same kind of wood they vary from one to another. I've sometimes felt as if they could've been cut from the same tree and still wouldn't sound or feel exactly the same.

Shoreline Gold definitely looks great with parchment pearl. My only gold Strat was tangerine gold when I got it in 1980, but it's darkened now to the point that it almost looks like metallic brown. Its single ply pickguard began as white but has turned to parchment over the years.

[​IMG]

11. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

Yep cnc. But as eclecticsynergy points out, wood being what it is, differs. And even cnc doesn’t mean they all have same tolerances. But the neck/fret/fretboard is also what makes or breaks a guitar for me.
    However, no matter how good or expensive a guitar is, I’ve always ended up paying later for a fret level/crowning on a new instrument. Takes them to a whole new level (good pun, too).

12. JCreasy

See my recent reply to my other post. It is going for a full set-up. I never could hear much difference in species of the same wood. Every Stratocaster I've played seems to be right about the same... Maybe my ear is not that sensitive. However, as mentioned before, the Shoreline Gold is, litterally, the Truth. I have a very nice Sienna Sunburst from '03 that I never bonded with... Maybe I am not getting the sound I am used to and subconsciously recognizing the guitar as "... not quite right." Will post PICs when done with this one. Good cleaning last night and it is beautiful. Practically a "new" guitar.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.