Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Newcomer + NGD Squier SE Special Strat

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by QMTstrat, Aug 17, 2016.

1. QMTstrat

QMTstrat Strat-O-Master

Hello everyone, my name is Jon and I currently reside in S. America. Been a long time player but recently fell in love with the strat sound, and not having any single coil loaded guitars, decided it was time to get one.

I bought a Squier Deluxe Hot Rails in white a few months ago, but waiting for a loaded pick guard to arrive (SSL-1 x3 in white) from the U.S. - until that comes, found a very cheap but beaten up Squier Standard Deluxe QMT in wine burst with pearl pick guard but needed a refret, so sent it for some love and affection and won't get it back until the end of the month.

Having been wanting a stratty single coil sound, I broke down and bought a cheap SE I found a few days ago. I read so much about how good this guitar can be (and how cheap it could be had for) and so I couldn't resist. Girlfriend loves my guitars and appreciates my love for music, but this is the third in less than 2 months... she will not be so happy tonight!

Squier SE back.jpg Squier SE frets.jpg Squier SE headstock back.jpg Squier SE headstock tuners side.jpg Squier SE pearl.jpg Squier SE.jpg Squier SE headstock front.jpg

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
    Mansonienne, Briguy77 and tery like this.

2. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 26, 2013
    So. Calif.
    SE's make great modding platforms, they have a full thickness body, decent tuners, and are solid wood, usually Agathis..I've had a few, and the one area that seems to need an upgrade is the switch, a good CRL, or quality switch will work. Also found that pup's from a fender mim standard sound pretty good in a SE, I also upgraded the trem to a mim standard trem, it drops right in.

QMTstrat and stratman in va like this.

3. QMTstrat

QMTstrat Strat-O-Master

Yes, that is what I read a lot... I also read that people like to switch out the mini 500k pots for full size 250k pots and a .047 cap. I wonder if people prefer the MIM ceramic pups over alnicos... I should do a quick search on the forums for this.

I could have sworn I was sharing pics on this post, but I don't see them anywhere... can anyone else see them?

texred likes this.

4. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 26, 2013
    So. Calif.
    I use 250k pots, but I like the .022uf caps. I found out about the mim pups cuz I had a set, and stuck them in there just to see how they would sound, also, another guy on another site installed some mim pups in his SE, and go the same results..No pic's that I can see.

5. QMTstrat

QMTstrat Strat-O-Master

Ok pictures are up. I read that people like the neck and is more like a vintage Fender neck, nice and chunky? Also, tuners are fine, but do they need to be tightened on the tips?

Thinking about doing the electrical mod first, maybe a bone nut and eventually the full size trem. Usually play 9's, but will try 10's or 11's - if anyone can comment on this, it'd be great!

6. Vindibona1

Vindibona1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I had an SE that I modded so well that I was able to trade it straight up for a mint condition Epiphone Dot. Round the fret ends, roll the fingerboard for feel. Change the trem/bridge and if you feel like it change out the tuners. If you can change the nut and put in some killer pickups you might have something as good as a $1500+ Stratocaster.

QMTstrat, texred and Caddy like this.

7. Dewey

Dewey Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Mar 2, 2010
    Bellingham, Wa.
    Welcome to ST and congratulations on your new Strat!!

QMTstrat likes this.

8. 8T_BoCO

8T_BoCO Aspiring Stratospheric Stratitician Strat-Talk Supporter

Mar 2, 2016
    Colorado
    QMTstrat likes this.

9. tery

tery Senior Stratmaster

Jul 31, 2014
    Tennessee
    Welcome to Strat-Talk :) .... I like the pictures of your Strat !

QMTstrat likes this.

10. QMTstrat

QMTstrat Strat-O-Master

I read I can roll the fingerboard with the round part of a screwdriver... any experience with this? I would have loved to have seen/heard/played that SE you had, sounds amazing.

Thanks Dewey! I am loving the idea of modding it to my heart's delight!

Thank you 8T!! I always liked the pearl on black, the pearl on white is also a rare beauty!

Thanks for your comment! I tried to take some detailed pics for some early week guitar pron!

texred likes this.

11. wildhawk

wildhawk Most Honored Senior Member

Feb 12, 2014
    Here
    First thing I look at on a guitar to see if it's done right is the fret ends and neck edge.

Seen really expensive guitars from famous makers that were a total fail. From the pics that looks like a really nice guitar done right. Congrats. I'd gig it no problem.

Your girlfriend should be thankful she's not with some of the cats around here that that suddenly have a guitar costing four digits show up in the music room without consent. :mad:

QMTstrat and texred like this.

12. QMTstrat

QMTstrat Strat-O-Master

Thanks, I couldn't agree more! After years of experience buying used guitars for cheap, I look at two things: tuners and fret quality. If the tuners are not the feared trapezoids (which I hear can be cleaned and greased for new life) and the frets are in good condition, I'm sold.

From pictures I initially saw, I thought it was nothing too special. But when I saw it in person and finally got it home, I thought it was really well made. I absolutely love the feel of the neck as well as the neck pickup. I have no doubt this will be a keeper after a few upgrades.

13. KEPDOC

KEPDOC New Member!

Apr 28, 2016
    Mars, PA
    Hi Jon,

I posted the video on YouTube. Here are a few pics of another SE strat I purchased a while back. The previous owner put a black pearloid pickguard on it with chrome plastic knobs and pickup covers. I thought it looked really cool. 20160428_084604.jpg 20160428_084610.jpg

QMTstrat likes this.

14. Twelve8

Twelve8 Strat-O-Master

Dec 5, 2015
    Sheffield, UK
    Hi & welcome :)

QMTstrat likes this.

15. QMTstrat

QMTstrat Strat-O-Master

Hey Ken, thanks again for that helpful vid. I am trying to wrap my head around this soldering business to swap out the 500k pots, but its proven to be more frustrating than I thought for a first timer. I need to buy decent wire so i can practice, but I'm not sure if the 250k pots I bought are going to be sufficient. Will try to post a picture soon so someone can chime in on this.

Thanks Twelve!

16. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Stratocrastinator Extraordinaire Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2015
    Paris suburbs, France

17. Hal Nico

Hal Nico Senior Stratmaster

Apr 28, 2012
    JAMOADR
    I bet if you put a Black Scratch-plate/Pick-guard on it it would make those Chrome covered pickups and control knobs shine :cool::D

18. QMTstrat

QMTstrat Strat-O-Master

Thanks!

19. Vindibona1

Vindibona1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Here is a cool little cosmetic mod that I did to my SE. You may not have access to one, but I used a bullet head from a .380 auto pistol cartridge and inserted it into the truss rod well as a "cover" of sorts. I think it looks super cool. The head is from a Winchester silver tip hollow point. No mods were needed for either the guitar or the bullet head, though the bullet head did need to be extracted from the case.

Squire_TRC_1846.jpg 9mm_kurtz.jpg

Ash-Man likes this.

20. Ash-Man

Ash-Man Senior Stratmaster

amazing how "finished" that makes the headstock look, cool idea!

texred likes this.