Join Strat-Talk Today

NGD - 1962 Strat

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by Phatfrank, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Fat Strat Rat

Fat Strat Rat Iron Maiden fanboy

Very nice indeed...

Happy NGD :thumb:

Phatfrank likes this.
  2. Wayne D.

Wayne D. Senior Stratmaster

Nice strat my friend. :)
    Glad you decided on changing the tuners.;)
    Maybe going back to Sonic Blue is not a bad idea, but either way still a kool strat.:)
    Play it in good health!:)

Phatfrank likes this.
  3. Phatfrank

Phatfrank Strat-Talk Member

Thanks again, guys. My Jag has the correct original single line klusons, so they are going on the strat asap. The Jag will get replacement tuners from crazy parts - they're on the way. Will post more pics when she's done.

That leaves the pots. I found some 62s but they were outrageously expensive (2000 USD), so I won't do any changes there unless I find a much, much better deal:).

Man, I love this guitar:)

Wayne D. likes this.
  4. bossaddict

bossaddict Strat-Talker

Great score. Congrats!

Phatfrank likes this.
  5. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Awesoumundo :)

Phatfrank likes this.
  6. guitarman1984

guitarman1984 Senior Stratmaster

That looks fantastic....

Phatfrank likes this.
  7. flyingd

flyingd Strat-Talk Member

Great guitar. I'll bet she sounds great. Lucky dog.

Phatfrank likes this.
  8. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Most Honored Senior Member

Wow! That's a beauty, congratulations!

Phatfrank likes this.
  9. SaucyJack

SaucyJack Strat-Talker

Love it!! Great looking guitar!

Phatfrank likes this.
  10. Phatfrank

Well, I got the replacement tuners from crazyparts and they are very good - not 100% as the originals but still the closest I found. I was intending to fit the tuners from the Jag, but I decided against it as the Jag is very clean & original, and I didn't want to risk damaging the original painted headstock. Nevertheless, I'll keep a look out for some original tuners - it's no big issue for me.

On another note, I have decided to have her refretted over New Year's. The frets are ok as they are, but the guitar deserves a better set. I'm quite sure this will result in a veeeery sweet playing Strat.

Enough talk, here are some more pics:

DSC04231.JPG DSC04232.JPG DSC04251.JPG DSC04252.JPG DSC04255.JPG DSC04266.JPG

Attached Files:

11. garyhoos1

garyhoos1 Huffing n Puffing. Strat-Talk Supporter

Awesome. love the colours there is one thing that does grow old with grace.

I had a 62 as a teenager, my birth year Strat.:oops:

Phatfrank likes this.
  12. GuitarMechanic

GuitarMechanic Most Honored Senior Member

That's a beauty
    As for the pot, just pop it off and thread another nut on before putting it back in and tightening it down, that should keep it from protruding though too far and you can keep the sweet sounding pot
    Congrats and HNGD

Pete_C and Phatfrank like this.
  13. surfgreenstomp

surfgreenstomp Strat-Talker

Awesome!! I have a weakness for Fenders in White, especially when they weren't clear coated and stay true white like that, paired with a green guard..looks great. Nice acquisition!

14. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Senior Stratmaster

I usually don't visit these pre-cbs threads because of the GAS issues I have when looking at this stuff. It makes me want to sell my entire collection and eat ramen for a few years. But I am glad I checked this thread out. I love that guitar, and while I agree with your sentiment on why would you refinish sonic blue, I think what you have there is beautiful. Thanks for sharing the high quality photos too.

jofish likes this.
  15. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Strat-O-Master

I'm '62 as well, but all I could afford is the FSR a couple of years ago... sounds delicious, but still, you own the REAL thing, man! Keep it played...
    Also, I have an'86 japan Contemporary strat that seems more like yours, same "surprise" with chganged tuners...

Attached Files:

3bolt79 likes this.
  16. Phatfrank

Thanks again. The natural aging is really, really nice, and as I prefer oly white anyway I can't see myself ever changing it. It's only original once, and now this finish is part of its' history anyway. I had to sell a few really nice guitars to get this one, and I have absolutely no regrets.

jofish likes this.
  17. Phatfrank

Finally got the old lady back from a really, really pro refret. It was a long wait, but it was well worth it. She plays absolutely fantastic - even the luthier said it was the best Strat he'd ever played. Love this thing.

Anyway; I bought the guitar as a refin, and was quite certain that the neck had been resprayed (due to the neck date missing) and the decal looked a little off to me. I am by any measures not an expert, but the "d" in Fender looked wrong as well as the STRATOCASTER font seemed a little too thick. Of course the missing pat numbers as well as the Contour Body is not correct, but these could easily have been worn off. BUT the seller (a reputable dealer in Sweden who knows vintage stuff) thought it looked correct, and after examining it under UV light (a first for me, BTW) said it could be original.

I really like the battered look of the Strat, but am thinking about fixing the headstock - the holes for the tuners are slightly oversized, and the small holes (one for the second string tree and the others from something strange) could benefit from some TLC. In this case I'd find a nice repro decal (tips are much appreciated on sourcing this) and be done with it. But if this thing is original I am of course leaving everything as is.

So, my fellow nerdlings, does anyone have any good views on the subject? I really appreciate the feedback! Here are some pictures:

PS: The luthier thought he could see some indications of a handwritten neck date - am I wrong in believing that this makes this an early '62? If so - should the decal have two or three patent numbers??

DSC04727.JPG
    DSC04728.JPG
    DSC04623.JPG

jofish and Percy like this.
  18. sikoniko

sikoniko Strat-O-Master

62 should have 2 patent numbers on the decal.

19. Adam Wolfaardt

Adam Wolfaardt Strat-Talker

'59 strats had decals with no patent numbers and they didn't have a date either. You sure it's a '62?

20. Phatfrank

Admittedly the reason I believe it's a 62 is the info from the seller and the neck plate serial (74XXX). I think I'll have a better look next time the neck is off. I've tried to find info on body dates, AFAIK these were sometimes marked either in the middel pickup cavity (it's been oversprayed) or in the tremolo cavity. Will check.

The pots are not original (changed in '76), but the 3-way is original. Does it have any tell-tale serial numbers / dates?

The neck heel shows two messages hand written. One says "renovated and repainted by [name] 17/8-65" and the other says "repainted by Tords Musik 1976". It is rather strange that a guitar only a couple of years old would be repainted in '65, but it might be because of a desire to change color. Who knows.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.