Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

NGD: A Japanese Oldie (Teisco/Kawai)

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by RobZ69, Dec 24, 2017.

1. RobZ69

RobZ69 Strat-Talker

Apr 22, 2017
    The Netherlands
    Yesterday I splashed a €100 on a 1960's Japanese built guitar. Been looking for one cheap for a while now and this one (as I correctly suspected from the ad) came from a former colleague of mine, by pure accident I might add.

It's a Kawai or Teisco 3-pu sort of strat-ish guitar.

I like the vibe of the looks. And, as it turns out, I like the sound of the pickups.

The guitar is in fine condition but definitely needs some attention. Probably a shim to allow for the action I like. There is one high fret, but the neck is straight... maybe too straight after the shim...I hope the truss rod works!
    Frets are not sharp at the edges.

Electrics need some work as one of the switches drops out if wiggled. And the Tone knob has a truly marginal impact on sound.

The nut.. well the nut... that is something I need to study first. And maybe experiment on. It is cut deep like an acoustic yet the sustain is not bad at all.
    Intonation is impossible due to the bridge, which shines like it was made yesterday. (Like all the other chrome bits except for the tremolo arm, which has some signs of use.

Tuners are a nightmare, but I can cope for now. I may have to replace them, if I succeed in setting it up as 'a player'.

Polish needed urgently!

Enjoy the pictures, and a Merry Christmas to all of you.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    West Coast Idea, felis and vlxerdon like this.

2. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    The EU
    HNGD and happy holidays!

3. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Captain Crapocaster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    In t'grim North
    Happy new old guitar day. The pictures aren't showing. :(

4. RobZ69

RobZ69 Strat-Talker

Apr 22, 2017
    The Netherlands
    Sorry about that.... should be fixed now....

5. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    In t'grim North
    :D

It's very similar to the first electric guitar I ever had in '70 or '71. Nostalgia almost overcame me for a moment. Perhaps it would have been a better guitar if I'd have known then what I know now. :)

6. Groovey

Groovey Senior Stratmaster

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA
    Thats a beauty!!

Man I love these things. I've been on the lookout for a three or four pickup Teisco. I have two Harmony 802s and two hollowbody.

You may be able to tweak the tuners. Meanwhile some online searches may turn up a set. I replaced the pots and switches and the nut as well. I think they play great. It doesn't feel like a Fender neck mind you. But they play just fine.

Bodean likes this.

7. RobZ69

RobZ69 Strat-Talker

Apr 22, 2017
    The Netherlands
    Indeed the neck is sort of thick, but I like it so far. It's not as clunky as the baseball bat neck on my 1960's Egmond. (Which is fine too, but different)

8. Groovey

Groovey Senior Stratmaster

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA
    I get such good tones out of mine that you'd never guess what it was.

9. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Congratulations. I used to play with a guy who had a guitar like that, & I sincerely hope that yours is a lot better than his was! Which shouldn't be hard, to be honest.

Japan didn't really get their act together with guitars till some point in the mid 70s & some of the stuff from before then (Jedsons, Avons etc.) could be pretty bad!

10. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    In t'grim North
    That one should be pretty nice, I can see the frets stand above the board, mine were amost flush with deep grooves. :D

RobZ69 likes this.

11. Lone Woof

Lone Woof Senior Stratmaster

Nov 30, 2014
    WI
    I love these old Teiscos and Kawaii guitars. Those pickups are great for slide work. A couple months ago I bought a two pickup Kawaii off Reverb. It sounded great, but had a number of issues that resulted in me returning it.

12. RobZ69

RobZ69 Strat-Talker

Apr 22, 2017
    The Netherlands
    I'm sure I'll run into some issues with this one. I already found some "lame" screws holding the pick guard. And the ground wire came loose as soon as I opened it.

No time to fix now, but I will. And post some photo's of the inside, which is shielded... sort-a.

13. Mississippi_Kid

Mississippi_Kid Senior Stratmaster

Crazy looking...congrats!

RobZ69 likes this.