Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

NGD - American Professional

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by rlogue1, Jun 10, 2018.

1. rlogue1

rlogue1 Strat-Talk Member

Jul 8, 2014
    St Louis
    Hi all, fairly new around here. 47 years old, playing for over 30 of those, and this is by far the nicest instrument I’ve owned. I’ve had Fenders, Gibsons, some I can’t even remember, and even a Bentley Series 10 years ago.... this is a special guitar.

Currently, I have a SG, an American Strat, and this newly purchased beautiful American Professional. I was mostly a Gibson guy, but bought an American Standard a few years back. I fell in love with the clarity of the strat more than anything, but the strat always seemed too thin. I bought this guitar from Sweetwater after a lot of research looking for the middle ground between SG and American Standard SSS. Always liked how easy the SG was to play, but never liked the muddy tone. I liked the American Standard clarity but didn’t like the thin neck...

I’ve spent about 15 minutes with this new guitar tonight, so take this for what it’s worth, but I was completely blown away by this guitar. I’ll try to follow up in a week or two after I’ve spent more time with it.

1. This is a beautiful guitar, I was honestly blown away when I opened the case. The photos don’t do it justice, has a nice vintage look and very well finished.

2. Has a very quality feel to it, seems like a totally different guitar than my American Standard. It reeks of quality for sure.

3. The neck... for just screwing around a few minutes, it’s very a very different feel to me than the Standard. I played around with some of the more difficult solos I’ve been working on, I found that I tripped up initially on a couple things I normally play well, but also played better on a couple things I struggled with on my other guitars. My initial thoughts are that this neck is very good. I’ll adjust to the neck and tall thin frets. My other strat gave me fits on long stretch fingering for some solos, etc. This guitar for whatever reason makes the stretches easier for me. Especially long stretches on the first 5 to 7 frets. I tripped up on the frets further up the neck, hopefully just need to get used to it. Access to the highest frets was way easier for me on this guitar, just got to get used to the tall frets I think.

4. Sound - I plugged it into a Fender HotRod Deville at medium volume. Started out on the Shawbuker, first OD channel and was actually startled on how loud and bold it was. I actually thought I had the more drive setting selected. This Shawbucker is a hot pickup. Even compared to my SG. I like it a lot, very clear. I do think I’ll drop it down in height a little though. The VMOD neck and middle are a little hot for my taste. I need to play more. Dirty, they’re killer, clean, I maybe like my American Standard Fat 50’s more... we’ll see. I have my amp set up for the lighter single coil strat so, I plan to play around a bit more tomorrow and see what kinda tones I can get.

5. Overall, no regrets. The guitar is by far nicer than anything I’ve ever owned. Without a doubt I wanted a hotter strat, and now I have that. My original plan was to sell the Standard to pay for this one.... well I think I’m gonna keep em both. I don’t think I can give up the Fat 50’s sound or the new hotter strat sound... I think I will keep both guitars and have the best of both worlds. I’ll have to figure out how to explain this reasoning to my wife.

In summary, I love the sound of the new strat, but it’s bold, and that’s fine with me, but it’s not sweet sounding like the Standard. The playability (small sample size) is so far beyond my SG and American standard that there’s no way I could send this thing back. It’s a keeper for sure.

Just wanted to share my initial thoughts.

For some reason Tapatalk isn’t letting me attach photos. I’ll try to figure that out tomorrow and put some pics up.

2. lineboat

lineboat Strat-O-Master

Aug 5, 2013
    western ky
    Welcome, and congratulations!
    Beautiful guitar!

abnormaltoy and rlogue1 like this.

3. NewStrings

NewStrings Strat-Talk Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Summerside, PEI Canada
    Congrats!! She is a beauty for sure --- if it looks that good in the pictures, I can't imagine how much better it looks in person! If I could afford another Strat, that would be the one on my list to get!! Enjoy!!!

4. aviamsi

aviamsi Senior Stratmaster

Aug 31, 2015
    Israel
    Lovely. HNGD :)

5. Malurkey

Malurkey Senior Stratmaster

Dec 28, 2016
    Netherlands
    Hi! Welcome!

6. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    Looks great.

7. shovelmike

shovelmike Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2013
    Missouri
    Welcome, and happy NGD to you!

8. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 17, 2017
    Idaho
    Welcome in rlogue, she definitely is a beauty, congrats.

9. circles

circles Most Honored Senior Member

'bout as nice a guitar gets! Congrats!

10. stormin1155

stormin1155 Strat-Talker

Mar 18, 2014
    Iowa
    Beautiful guitar! Congratulations!

I am also a American Professional strat owner. I currently own seven strats, have owned many more over the years, and have worked on hundreds. My AmPro ranks with the very best strats I've ever played. It is like Fender took everything they have learned about building Strats for 64 years, and built that into the AmPro.

11. jrbirdman

jrbirdman Senior Stratmaster

Feb 3, 2016
    Elk Plain, Wa.
    great guitars!

abnormaltoy likes this.

12. TubeStack

TubeStack Strat-Talk Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Canada
    Very cool Strat. Enjoy!

I have a new SSS Am Pro Strat and love it. The neck and overall feel is just fantastic. Love the whole Am Pro series: Teles, basses, it’s all killer.

Thinking I may get a HSS in the future, too.

abnormaltoy likes this.

13. rlogue1

rlogue1 Strat-Talk Member

Jul 8, 2014
    St Louis
    You know, the only thing I don’t like is the volume pot. With the taper and the stiffness it’s a lot different than the standard. It will take getting used to.

abnormaltoy likes this.

14. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    Welcome and congrats on the new Fender Pro. :thumb:

15. PF Twanger

PF Twanger Strat-Talk Member

Jun 4, 2018
    Nashville
    Welcome, and happy NGD. That's a beauty. I'll be watching for your review of the pickups. They are my only reservation about the Am pro. I mostly play clean. Your enthusiasm might be expensive for me! :D

abnormaltoy likes this.

16. RickS

RickS Strat-Talker

May 5, 2013
    Marietta, GA
    Nice looking Strat. I bought an American Pro Tele a couple of weeks ago. I think Fender has upped their game with the Am Pro series. The new Mod-V Tele pickups sound real good.

Saying you have it is useless without a picture.
    DSC00543.JPG

17. TubeStack

TubeStack Strat-Talk Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Canada
    I’ve got my eye on one in a store nearby that’s just like that one. It played and felt great, love the Oly White with RW.

abnormaltoy likes this.

18. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy BushBaby Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2013
    Tucson
    Cool, Congratulations on a beauty!

19. 808K

808K Strat-Talker

Apr 24, 2018
    Philly, USA
    Beautiful, congratulations and enjoy!