Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

NGD American Special

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Strat*Fan81, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Strat*Fan81

Strat*Fan81 Strat-Talk Member

Nov 5, 2015
    Indiana
    Finally took the plunge and ordered one of these. I’ve wanted one for a couple years now but something else always came up. I was hoping to get to try one but every time one came in the shop I go to (they’re not a dealer so a random used trade in would pop up from time to time) it would be gone that day.
    My first impressions are excellent. It plays sooo nice. I love the neck. The satin finish feels really nice. This is the first guitar I’ve owned with jumbo frets and bending is a breeze. Less speed bumpy than my others with narrow tall frets. I was surprised it came stock with 9’s. One knock against it, but really I’ve seen it on so many guitars I’m used to seeing it unfortunately, is the nuts were binding the strings. I knew once I put on 10’s the tremolo had zero chance so I widened them a bit (with a set of torch tip cleaning files in case anyone’s interested, they work like a charm if you only do it once in awhile and they’re 4 bucks) and now it’s fine. Super happy with how dark the rosewood is since I got the sonic blue.
    Plugged in it’s one powerful guitar. I’ve heard some say they don’t hear the high end chime with the Texas Specials but I’m loving the clean tones. It seems like a very versatile guitar I’m sure I’m going to have a lot of fun with. And it’s a beauty. IMG_0441.JPG

LRS!, Mansonienne, Chefbaze and 23 others like this.

2. Otisblove

Otisblove Strat-O-Master

May 20, 2016
    Chicago
    Beautiful! The dark rosewood does look great with the sonic blue. HNGD!

Strat*Fan81 likes this.

3. garyhoos1

garyhoos1 Huffing n Puffing. Silver Member

Jan 28, 2012
    North Wales and Somerset.
    Lovely guitar.:thumb:

Real nice colour combo too.

Strat*Fan81 likes this.

4. Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf Senior Stratmaster

Feb 12, 2009
    New Jersey, USA
    Very nice.
    Good luck with it!

Strat*Fan81 likes this.

5. Yves

Yves Senior Stratmaster

Jan 2, 2016
    London
    Very nice, congrats!

Strat*Fan81 likes this.

6. aviamsi

aviamsi Strat-O-Master

Aug 31, 2015
    Israel
    Great color choice. Congratulations.

Strat*Fan81 likes this.

7. Strat*Fan81

Nov 5, 2015
    Indiana
    Thanks y’all. Had to go with the sonic blue. There’s really no other choice! Lol

sass likes this.

8. arcticstrat

arcticstrat Strat-O-Master

Feb 6, 2016
    USA
    Congrats man, what a beauty! Happy NGD! :)

9. Omar

Omar Most Inquisitive Junior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 9, 2017
    Marbella, Spain
    Great choice! Welcome to Am Special Sonic Blue club ;)

10. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    Very nice!

11. BobbyJames

BobbyJames Strat-Talk Member

Apr 9, 2017
    UK
    Congrats, I've been interested in one of the Specials in Walnut for a long time, always been keen to try the Texas Specials and jumbo frets!

12. BobbyJames

BobbyJames Strat-Talk Member

Apr 9, 2017
    UK
    Actually, just taken another look at yours and then a walnut model. I think I'd probably go sonic blue, too!

13. R00STER

R00STER Strat-Talker

Nov 21, 2016
    US
    Love that big headstock!

jaybones, duzie and Jazzant85 like this.

14. circles

circles Senior Stratmaster

Cool guitar and amp.

15. Lone Woof

Lone Woof Senior Stratmaster

Nov 30, 2014
    WI
    That's a great looking strat. The rosewood looks fantastic.

16. Strat*Fan81

Nov 5, 2015
    Indiana
    I was put off the big headstock at first, but over the last couple years it has grown on me big time. I had to have a guitar with one at this point lol.
    The walnut finish is really nice too. But it’s hard to pass up sonic blue if it’s an option!
    I love this amp! It’s the 10th anniversary 10 watt class A Artisan. It’s like a warmer sounding Vox (I A/B’d it against an AC10C1 for an hour trying to choose and came home with the Artisan) that can get great crunch tones. Highly recommend trying one if you play dirty blues or classic rock.
    Dark rosewood with sonic blue is one of the best looking Strats imo.

17. circles

circles Senior Stratmaster

I had an HT-40 and rather liked it, but it was too much. That would have been a good alternative. (I went for a Supersonic 20)

Strat*Fan81 likes this.

18. Strat*Fan81

Nov 5, 2015
    Indiana
    I know exactly what you mean. I never considered anything from Blackstar because I don’t play anything high gain ever. But when this came in the shop the guy talked me into trying it and I was blown away. It comes with a footswitch to activate the boost. That does get pretty raunchy, but a little tweak of the guitar volume and it smooths out really nicely. This one has a single el34, but they also have an Artist with a single 6l6 that’s more Fender-y. I would love to try out a Supersonic, it sound like it would be something I’d really like.

circles likes this.

19. Wafflein

Wafflein Strat-Talk Member

Apr 15, 2018
    Europe
    Lovely color combination

20. jojo68

jojo68 Strat-Talker

May 27, 2013
    Cydonia,Tx
    Love it man ! I want one . I have the handstained one but really,really want the rosewood fretboard .