Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

NGD American Vintage 59

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Hawk8789, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Hawk8789

Hawk8789 Strat-Talker

Apr 11, 2013
    Las Vegas, Nv
    I saw this one used in the store and had to play it because of the clay dots(I’m a sucker for them). I was initially disappointed in the thinness of the neck, but it was super easy to play and sounded pretty good. Thought about it all weekend and had some stuff to trade, so I went back and got her today. This thing is awesome. I’m not sure if the pickguard is original, and I’m pretty sure the pickups have been replaced. They are rwrp which I don’t think is correct, but this thing has a ton of quack even still. I’m looking forward to the string change so I can investigate...

IMG_3105.JPG
    IMG_3104.JPG IMG_3099.JPG IMG_3103.JPG IMG_3102.JPG IMG_3101.JPG IMG_3100.JPG

2. TomH8

TomH8 Strat-O-Master

May 1, 2014
    USA
    Hope you got a good deal with those changes! Gorgeous Guitar. Glad it sounds great

3. problem-child

problem-child Strat-O-Master

Aug 28, 2008
    Left Coast, USA
    I'm jealous. I have wanted a 59 for a long time. Can you comment on the neck "thinness". Thin compared to what? Also, what is the shape?

HNGD! She is beautiful. I too am a sucker for those clay dots.

4. Hawk8789

Hawk8789 Strat-Talker

Apr 11, 2013
    Las Vegas, Nv
    They call it a D, but it’s probably the thinnest neck I have right now. Feels a lot like my SG Standard. It’s comfortable but doesn’t fill my hand. My 54 and EJ strats are thicker. It’s probably a little thinner than the Clapton even. Might be similar to an American Standard I played 10 years ago that a friend of mine has. Hard to say without knowing what you’re familiar with.

I prefer baseball bat necks so I was surprised to enjoy this one so much.

5. problem-child

problem-child Strat-O-Master

Aug 28, 2008
    Left Coast, USA
    I have a 54, a new AmPro, and a 79 Anni.

The 54 is probably my favorite neck profile on a strat.

Thnx.

6. Murphcaster

Murphcaster Strat-O-Master

Oct 17, 2013
    Huntington, WV
    Keep in mind, the feel of the neck size is a pretty subjective thing. What's thin for one can be thick for someone else.

I've had an AV '59 for four years and think it's a great guitar. The neck profile is what Fender refers to as a "slim D" shape but don't let that fool you. It's got a medium thickness at the nut but has a large taper, getting noticeably thicker as you go up the neck.

problem-child likes this.

7. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Senior Stratmaster

Aug 7, 2009
    austin texas
    Very pretty.I own a few and they are spectacular guitars.You did good getting one as Fender has discontinued them to be replaced with what is now called the American original series.

8. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Hs this been confirmed? I'm pretty sure it's only speculation at this point.

9. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama

10. Funkuncle

Funkuncle Strat-Talker

Jan 6, 2013
    Melbourne
    Congrats. Nice guitar. My 59 is in 'faded sonic blue' in my profile pick.

11. Cesspit

Cesspit Strat-Talker

Sep 4, 2016
    Oxford England
    Lovely Strat. If your happy nothing else matters.

12. Neil.C

Neil.C Senior Stratmaster

Mar 3, 2012
    Surrey, England
    I do like the look of those.

HNGD!

13. Count Glockula®

Count Glockula® Strat-Talker

Aug 16, 2009
    Fenderland, CA
    Beautiful. How much does it go for, may I ask? Thanks for sharing!

14. sonny wolf

Aug 7, 2009
    austin texas
    The signs are there...the whole line is being discounted at all dealers.I have seen some pics of the new models...less year and vintage specific now.The have a basic 50s Strat and Tele and a 60s Strat and Tele.The 60s Strat resembles the now discontinued 65 Strat with a transition logo instead of the earlier spaghetti logo.I saw one in candy apple red with a mint green pickguard and transition 1964-66 era logo with 65 gray bottom pickups...it looks like a 1964-65 transition era Strat.They are going with a 9.5 radius and taller frets.The 50s one I saw was a translucent 2 tone sunburst with grain showing and looked like an Ash body.They spec'd that one with 59 pure vintage pickups.

I am bummed that they are not offering a 1960-63 era type green guard/spaghetti logo type Strat (from what it appears) which is such a classic model so Hawk 8789 did good getting his 59.The options now for that type of Strat are the Mexican classic 60s,roadworn or lacquer which have Pau Ferro fretboards or the more expensive custom shop stuff.

15. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    No one really knows what is going on yet. Just because they have the new line with 9.5 and taller frets, that doesn't mean that they won't still have some kind of more vintage correct model.

We'll just have to wait and see. NAMM is just around the corner.

16. srvsayce78

srvsayce78 Most Honored Senior Member

Feb 15, 2011
    UK
    Gorgeous guitar! Enjoy your NGD.

17. sonny wolf

Aug 7, 2009
    austin texas
    We'll know more in the coming weeks I am sure but I also spoke to a dealer who confirmed to me that the current Pure Vintage line is being discontinued.We had a good run since 2012 with them especially with the earlier wider color options...I am glad picked up my sunburst and black 59s as well as my Dakota red 65.Maybe sales just slowed down so they needed to shake things up with a new series and make them more player friendly as many players like 9.5 radiuses and taller frets.I just wish they would still offer the classic green pickguard/spaghetti logo early 60s look Strat in a USA reissue...such an iconic Strat!!

18. Yves

Yves Senior Stratmaster

Jan 2, 2016
    London
    Beautiful thing, Congrats!

19. dueducs

dueducs Senior Stratmaster

I had an opportunity to play a '59 this past weekend. I liked the feel of the neck (but it was strung with strings that felt like rubber bands to me- maybe 9s?). I was a little less excited by the color of the neck- no vintage tint, very white wood, and by the really yellow portion of the sunburst. They are nice guitars, but the coloring wasn't for me.
    Anyway, HNGD. Enjoy!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018

20. Morgenholz

Morgenholz Strat-Talker

Jan 17, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I have said many times that the American Vintage '59 would be my first choice on a desert island or some hell where I could own only one strat. It is no coincidence that the last guitar I have purchased is a CS '59 Time Machine, all vintage specs, built one month before Fender rolled the new AV line.

To me, the neck is a vintage analogy to a modern compound radius-- slim toward the nut to allow an easier stretch across the widely-spaced frets, and fat up the neck to fill the hand whilst cramming the fingers closer together for the same chord structures. I personally prefer the '68 U-shape, but enjoy the nostalgia generated by the early C necks.