Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

NGD and strap

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Hash McBrown, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Hash McBrown

Hash McBrown Senior Stratmaster

Mar 15, 2012
    Southern Illinois
    I decided I was never going to be happy with the Squier SE I found on CL awhile back so I stopped at my favorite music store to look at a new American Special HSS. The salesman also recommended a used American Deluxe they had just taken in as a trade. The used one was $100 more than the brand new one so I was a little skeptical. After playing them both, there was no question. I just loved everything about the Deluxe. I picked it up last Friday but didn't want to post pictures till I had my strap finished and didn't get to Tandy leather till yesterday. Figured everyone here has already seen thousands of pics of Strats.

I was really hoping to post some cool looking pics of my hand carved strap but it didn't turn out as good as I hoped. My plan was to stain it sunburst like the Strat. Not only did that plan not work, it didn't even come close to working. I started with dyeing it Saddle Tan. There's where I should have stopped, it looked pretty good. When I tried to blend in a darker color on the edges, it didn't blend at all. It just made an ugly mess.

I did learn a good lesson - if you want to try an experiment with your stain, do it on a scrap piece of leather. Next time I'm in St. Louis I'll probably pick up a couple more strap kits and the one I just did will end up as a hand-me-down to the Squier. My next project isn't nearly as ambitious. I also picked up a leather belt belt buckle kit to protect my guitars from buckle rash.

My leather working skills are still a little crude but that matches my playing pretty good.

Attached Files:

2. Bagger

Bagger Strat-Talk Member

Dec 30, 2011
    Racine, WI
    Welcome to the club. I love my deluxe

3. fenderkev

fenderkev Most Honored Senior Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Back In Blighty
    Cool guitar and cool strap too! You've made a big jump from your Squier! :)

4. stratcpo

stratcpo Senior Stratmaster

Jan 19, 2010
    coastal Maine
    Great looking guitar!!! ENJOY!!!

5. Hash McBrown

Mar 15, 2012
    Southern Illinois
    That's what I thought too. Figured if I was going to have to change everything to get it the way I wanted, I'd just change it all at one time. Including the neck and body.

6. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 Dog WhispereR Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 20, 2011
    Private.
    hey, man
    happy New Deluxe Strat Day!! :) . Love that strap too...I wish I could make something like that,lol.

7. Paulbiz

Paulbiz Senior Stratmaster

Sep 30, 2009
    Northern, Virginia
    Very nice! Congrats!

8. barellano

barellano Senior Stratmaster

May 26, 2009
    MD
    Congrats! What year is it? My deluxe is nearly identical except it's SSS.

9. Kyluckyman

Kyluckyman Strat-Talker

Feb 8, 2012
    Hopkinsville, KY

10. Hash McBrown

Mar 15, 2012
    Southern Illinois
    It's an '04 but in real good shape. It has one little chip in the finish on the front. Doesn't look that bad but it lowered the trade-in value a little bit so I got it cheaper. That's all the relic look I want. The store said I could always get my money back out of it but I can't imagine getting rid of it.

The leather work on the strap looked a lot better before I messed up the finish. It's a fun hobby that I took up when I decided to make my own holsters. I'm still learning but already have a couple of ideas for my next strap. Seems like a good way to individualize your guitar.

11. Tee H C

Tee H C Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 27, 2012
    London
    Very nice indeed. HNGD

12. Dare1

Dare1 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 16, 2011
    Idaho
    Wow, very nice. Love the strap too.

13. Hash McBrown

Mar 15, 2012
    Southern Illinois
    Thank you. My plan now is to finish the leather buckle today. I don't worry too much about buckle rash on the Squier but the other 3 I'd like to protect.

14. jammers5

jammers5 Strat-Talker

Mar 6, 2010
    Mount Pearl NL Canada
    Not sure what is wrong with that strap it looks great to me!

The guitar ain't too shabby either!

HNGD and HNSD!

J5

15. Hash McBrown

Mar 15, 2012
    Southern Illinois
    Thank you. We're always our own worst critic but in this case I really screwed up the stain with my sunburst idea. I started with Saddle Tan and it looked pretty good. Brought out the detail of the leather carving and the grain of the leather. Then I tried Dark Cocoa Brown on the edges, which also looks good when used by itself, but it didn't blend at all. It looked like smeared mud. The only thing left to do was stain the whole thing the smeared mud color. The Super Sheen finish on top salvaged the mess I made but it hides the natural beauty of the leather grain. It was a learning experience.

16. Retroman1969

Retroman1969 Strat-O-Master

May 16, 2010
    Oklahoma City
    Jeez, that's quite a leap from an SE to an American Deluxe!
    That's got to be exciting, congrats!
    Looks beautiful!
    I dig the strap too, but I understand what you're saying. If something isn't quite right it bugs me, even if no one else notices.... You can always make another one for the Deluxe and donate this one to the SE. ;)