Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

NGD Classic 60s MIJ ‘16

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by eighthstring, Dec 2, 2017.

1. eighthstring

eighthstring Strat-Talk Member

Nov 19, 2017
    Indonesia
    Hello guys! So this is my first strat and I should say, I regret not buying strat since a long time ago.

From the finishing, everything looks beautiful and on point! Japan sure does know how to handle their craftsmanship

Sadly I got a little problem, the string spacing between 2nd and 1st somehow difference from the other. Any guess how to fix this? I could still play it normally tho, aesthetically speaking it does concern me

Anyway here’s the pic:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also I heard japanese electronic sucks, anyone could tell me how far the tone difference if I upgrade all the electronic (except pickups ofc)?

Cheers!

Bellingjam, Pukiman, Tomas83 and 2 others like this.

2. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Were those Fender Japan 60s type Strats called Classic 60s? I thought that name was used just for the Mexican version?

As I understand it, Fender Japan guitars can come with anything from cheap & nasty electronics & pickups to quite good pickups & electronics. If you show us the electrics we might have an idea what you have in that. If it has ceramic pickups it might be worth upgrading them & that will certainly change the sound. If what you have is tiny sized pots & a cheap plastic switch, it might be worth upgrading them to improve reliability, though it's unlikely to affect the sound to a noticeable extent.

Cerb and eighthstring like this.

3. artgtr

artgtr Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 18, 2013
    WURTSBORO, NY
    Very nice enjoy & congrats!

Fendereedo and eighthstring like this.

4. Ronnie12460

Ronnie12460 Strat-Talker

Mar 19, 2014
    Abilene, Texas
    It's hard to tell on my cell phone but it looks like the second string coming over the bridge is not in the center of the saddle
    edit Looking at second pic. Beautiful Guitar by the way

eighthstring likes this.

5. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Certified Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    Very nice guitars, I played one a while back. :) It could even have been the one that @Fendereedo bought. I think he changed the pickups, it all depends if they work properly and you like how it sounds.

eighthstring likes this.

6. BradL

BradL Senior Stratmaster

Jun 1, 2010
    Sussex, UK
    Congrats, happy new guitar day and a super looking Strat!

I had something similar a while back. A 2016 FSR Classic Series it was called over here from Fender Japan (made by Dyna Gakki). Usual high quality Japan craftsmanship but cheap Chinese Electrics as if often the case with export models. Not a problem though with such a nice base to work from and so for about £30 I changed the electrics out and put in CTS pots, Orange Drop cap and Oak 5 way switch. The pickups were changed out too as it came with Ceramics which aren't my particular cup of tea and I happened to have another set lying around.

eighthstring likes this.

7. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    If you do need to change the pots (and I'm not at all sure that you do) try Alpha pots rather than CTS. They are every bit as good, at around half the price, they are less stiff to turn than CTS & they are made to metric sizes, like the Japanese guitars are. Sometimes CTS pots don't fit into metric specced guitars.

CTS pots are vastly over-hyped, IMHO. And they won't affect the overall sound of the guitar one little bit.

eighthstring and Thrup'ny Bit like this.

8. BradL

BradL Senior Stratmaster

Jun 1, 2010
    Sussex, UK
    I'll give them a try next time, thanks!

eighthstring likes this.

9. eighthstring

Nov 19, 2017
    Indonesia
    Yes it’s called Japan Exclusive Classic 60s aka ST62 after 2015 which probably you guys more understand what happened to fender japan.

Is it possible to open without removing neck or string?
    I’m still on honeymoon phase rite now :)

edit: lol, just realized all emoticon I put from iphone didn’t show up.

All of them is on middle except first string. Tried to move it, but it moved to right again when tuned. Nut looks fine as far as I understand.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For now, I like how to pickup sounds! From the site it said vintage single coil, so probably same as one on MIM Classic Series.

When I got more budget surely I wanna try some Lollar, it sounds really awesome from what I heard on youtube :cool:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017

10. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I always remove the strings to remove the scratchplate. And I very much doubt that a Fender Japan Strat will have the same pickups as a Fender Mexico Strat. Fender's pickup descriptions have a tendency to be vague & generic.

11. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Certified Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    I'd give the saddles a little push, then push the strings back to the middle again.

push.png

The G saddle looks a little out of square on it's adjuster screw.

Yves and eighthstring like this.

12. eighthstring

Nov 19, 2017
    Indonesia
    I’ll show inside of it when I re-string then ;)

[​IMG]

Just tried but seems the 1st string didnt move. It still move lil bit toward right side.

Well it doesn’t affect the playability tho, might let professional setup it later when I got time. :)

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

13. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Most Honored Senior Member

May 7, 2014
    UK
    I certainly did!
    I bought mine this year iirc. I swapped out all of the electrics for cloth wiring, new 250 pots, a new switch and a set of Fender AV65 pickups. I also had to find another pickguard, as the stock MIJ guard wouldn't take the new bigger pots, and so luckily I had a spare Fender one in mint green, so I used that instead.
    The stock electrics got dumped, and still have the original bridge and neck pickups.

14. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    The EU
    Tell me... why would you buy an AVRI when you can have this one?

HNGD!

Yves, eighthstring and Folk_Hogan like this.

15. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Most Honored Senior Member

May 7, 2014
    UK
    The pickups are fairly OK IMO. These are not the same as the ones used in MIM classic series though, as they use alnico pickups. The MIJ 60s set are ceramics.

Edit: Forgot my manners there - Hngd to you! :)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    eighthstring likes this.

16. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Slimmer neck, nitro finish & much better pickups spring to mind straight away.

Neil.C likes this.

17. TangerineDog

Sep 5, 2015
    The EU
    Aaand all the romance is ruined by realism :D

Still a darn sweet looking guitar though!

Yves and Fendereedo like this.

18. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I was expecting you to reply with:

"Ah yes, but is that worth the vastly higher price?"

Which would have been a fair question. ;)

19. TangerineDog

Sep 5, 2015
    The EU
    Is it worth the vastly higher price?

I once (last month) bought a whole guitar just because I needed the neck for another project.
    All my guitars but one have aftermarket pickups to nail one specific sound.
    I don't buy some Stats just because they have two-point trems while I can't stand their look.
    If I wanted a Nitro finish, I'm know that only a Nitro finish would do for me.

If I realize want something on a certain guitar and the guitar doesn't have it and will never have it, I'd never be happy with it and then, no matter how much or little the guitar had cost me, it wouldn't have been worth the price.

So if a 'slimmer neck, nitro finish & much better pickups' were important to me, I could either buy all the parts separately to upgrade an MIM, which would probably cost me 1800$ or more altogether, or I could buy an AVRI for 1800$.

So is it worth the vastly higher price?
    In terms of sound and playability, no way. But that might not be all you need in a guitar to make you happy.
    So if you want it and are willing to pay what it costs, then hell yeah, it's worth it!
    I'm really not one to tell anyone to be content with what they have if it's not exactly what they want with a straight face...

In my case however, the Slim C of the MIJ is more than slim enough for my taste, I don't care about poly vs nitro and I don't even know if I like the pickups that come in the AVRIs - if not, I'd get new ones for probably 200$ or more.
    So for me, if I wanted a guitar like that, the MIJ would do absolutely fine and clock in at 800$ less than the AVRI even if I get new pickups.
    In the end, and that's all I can say for certain, the slimmer neck, finish, and pickups wouldn't be worth 1000$ more to me.
    And I probably sound as mediocre on a 500$ guitar as on a 5000$ guitar anyway.

Hell, now my stating-the-obvious-style-realism has ruined all there might have been left of any romance for certain :whistling:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    Raiders757, Yves and Cerb like this.

20. eighthstring

Nov 19, 2017
    Indonesia