Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

NGD Classic 60s MIJ ‘16

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by eighthstring, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Cuban

Cuban Strat-Talker

Mar 18, 2017
    UK
    Looks a bit like mine, they released 2 models FSR classic 60's. I got the FSR classic 'special' 60's with nitro finish, custum pickups, and alder body.

2. Cuban

Cuban Strat-Talker

Mar 18, 2017
    UK

3. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Well the electrics would certainly count as "budget"! Those are ceramic pickups, certainly, but they don't look the same as the ones on the Mexican Standards which I believe use two bar magnets instead of one (though I have no idea why).

It seems to me to be very misleading to describe them as "vintage single coil" pickups as they are not really anything like the pickups used in "vintage" Strats. You could argue, I suppose, that they are "vintage output", perhaps, but they are not "vintage style".

It depends if you like the sound of them or not. If you do, they're fine. If you don't, you'll need to change them to something you do like. I would probably change them, & I'd be tempted to put a better switch in there while I had the soldering iron hot, though the switch is unlikely to affect the overall sound. Apart from anything else, I find those plastic switches confusing when soldering, compared to the CTS type. Some people on here would also upgrade the pots while they were at it; I'm not sure if I would. But again, I don't believe that fitting larger & better quality pots would change the overall sound of the guitar.

eighthstring likes this.

4. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I assume you used CTS pots? They're imperial, I believe, Alphas are metric & probably would have fitted into the scratchplate saving you some £20 or £30 for a new scratchplate.

5. Yves

Yves Senior Stratmaster

Jan 2, 2016
    London
    Congrats on your Strat. Looks great!
    It's not a problem, it most likely needs a proper setup that's all.

6. Count Glockula®

Count Glockula® Strat-Talker

Aug 16, 2009
    Fenderland, CA

7. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Most Honored Senior Member

May 7, 2014
    UK
    Hi I already had a spare8 mint green guard from who knows how long ago. You are correct, I used CTS pots, I did try the originals in the guard, but they were just a tad loose in , so I went for the bigger size.

8. owenmoney

owenmoney Strat-Talker

Jun 21, 2013
    Really only the D and G are centered, the low E and A and the b and high e are off to the outside of the pole pieces. If it sounds good I wouldn’t worry about it !