Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

NGD - First travel guitar

Discussion in 'Acoustic Soundboard' started by gofmusic, Nov 13, 2017 at 9:47 PM.

1. gofmusic

gofmusic Senior Stratmaster

Sep 24, 2013
    Montevideo
    Hi, just wanted to share with you my last purchase.

Its a Stagg SV209 Viaggio. Its an affordable little guitar, literally little guitar. I bought it to take out on holidays or when I travel to work and cant be bothered to drag my Taylor around, or be worried of what might happen to it when its unattended.

It sounds nice, and it looks nice, apart from the rosette which looks a bit cheap, after some setup it plays nice too. Its really comfortable not just to carry but to hold it and it doesnt feel like a tiny guitar while playing it.

Im happy for now, and hope it makes me play new things when I grab it.

IMG_20171113_224619.jpg IMG_20171113_223024.jpg IMG_20171113_223011.jpg IMG_20171113_223000.jpg IMG_20171113_224603.jpg

2. Borgatomic

Borgatomic New Member!

Sep 30, 2017
    Earth
    When I went looking for a small acoustic it came down to the Little Martin and the Big Baby Taylor. I came home with the BBT. Already had a few Fenders and was looking for a brighter sound.
    Enjoy!

3. gofmusic

Sep 24, 2013
    Montevideo
    Yeah, I thought about a Taylor GS mini, but its 3.5 times the price haha. Not the kind of cash Ill spend for a guitar I can use on the beach, leave in hotels or such...

Small travel guitars tend to sound boxy and differente from full sized ones. Different is good :)

4. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member

Nice!

I have a sort of nontraditional travel guitar myself, except mine's electric.

[​IMG]

Traded a dumpster rescued Johnson acoustic for it. Had that guitar for a year and a half and hadn't played it. Even moved with it, which reminded me I still had it.

Cruising CL and saw a listing for a purple Tokai Telecaster trade for a decent acoustic. After exchanging emails the deal was made. Other than a half hour and some gas money I became the proud owner of a Disney (by Washburn) Secret Star Hannah Montana guitar.

Worked out a rock version of Party in the USA- distortion and power chords, actually a pretty cool song done that way.

stratman in va and gofmusic like this.

5. gofmusic

Sep 24, 2013
    Montevideo
    Haha! now that nontraditional indeed! I kinda like it, do you know if there are many of them around?

6. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member

Seems there are a few.

Since I've gotten this one I've seen auctions and listings for them in other places. Of course its like when you buy a used car then start seeing that model around more than you did before. Probably since you never noticed them.

And they made an identical guitar, with different cosmetics called a Forever Princess. Found the sister guitar for $25 at the end of August.

[​IMG]

There are some specific parts they only used on these, and my plan is to use the best parts on the HM one. Then take a heat gun and strip the pink one (think its vinyl), powder coat the HW, possibly cut the bridge so the single coil isn't there anymore, remove some wood from the horn and mount some mini HB's- make it a mini LP style.

I've seen them stripped and refinished, and the wood underneath doesn't look that bad. Might also see if I can glue a veneer and route for binding.

stratman in va, 2-Finger and gofmusic like this.

7. gofmusic

Sep 24, 2013
    Montevideo
    Sounds like a fun project. Keep in mind that posting your project and uploading pics is mandatory. :)

8. BuckNekkid

BuckNekkid Strat-Talker

Nov 28, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    I have an electric travel guitar, also. It's leaning against the amp. A full-length neck combined with a small body and onboard amp/speaker. Pignose.

[​IMG]

gofmusic likes this.

9. gofmusic

Sep 24, 2013
    Montevideo
    Sweet. Mine had to be acoustic, I plan to use it on the beach, a lot :)

10. BuckNekkid

BuckNekkid Strat-Talker

Nov 28, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    I can use mine on the beach. The amp and speaker are built into the body of the guitar. Powered by a 9-volt battery. And when the volume knob is cranked all the way up, the famous "Pignose feedback" sound is achieved! :p

It's only leaning against the amp. Although it does have a jack, so if I want...

It also has an earphone plug. I use it in hotel rooms. None of my neighbors ever needs be bothered.

2-Finger likes this.

11. gofmusic

Sep 24, 2013
    Montevideo
    Yeah I know, but its the electronics I worry about... maybe its just me being too careful, but sand and salty water can do really bad things to electronics...

12. BuckNekkid

BuckNekkid Strat-Talker

Nov 28, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Oh, don't get me wrong, I wasn't trying to persuade you into buying a Pignose travel guitar. I was actually looking for an acoustic guitar, like the Martin Backpacker when I came across the Pignose. I have two Pignose amps dating back decades, and when I saw the guitar with their name, I knew what to expect.

Sweetwater is showing a Washburn Rover for $175. That could a be a sweet traveler, too!

13. gofmusic

Sep 24, 2013
    Montevideo
    I find it a bit ugly, the Rover :) It reminds me of the Seagull Merlin, which I considered too though its not a guitar, technically speaking. The pignose its the best travel guitar if you can avoid water :) no doubt about it :)

I wanted the Taylor GS mini actually, but its too expensive for me considering I want to use it as a sand shovel if needed hehe.

So... Whats that 12 string in your rack?

14. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Strat-Talk Member

Oct 25, 2017
    Nawth Alabama
    I bought one of these as a travel guitar about 20yrs ago. Still does a great job. It is a "Soloette". The wire outlines pop off and the whole thing goes into a "overhead compartment compatible" gigbag. I've flown with it a good bit. Great for practice with headphones.

[​IMG]

15. BuckNekkid

BuckNekkid Strat-Talker

Nov 28, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Oh, you saw that, did you? ;)

There's a story (for another day). It's a 1971 Framus "Blue Ridge" I bought brand new while I was in college in Germany. The company went bankrupt in 1975, and a lot of the archival paperwork was lost. There is a Framus Vintage page where I traced it down by serial number, but I'm not 100% convinced that it is truly a Blue Ridge model.

This was my first guitar, and I loved playing it. It's got a zero-fret, ebony fretboard with a tiny nut (1-1/16") for a 12-string. There's a ton of internal bracing, so it needs to be mic'ed to project. The action on it is incredible! Last year, I had a luthier take to it and freshen it up to playable standards. :)

Thanks for noticing and asking!

16. gofmusic

Sep 24, 2013
    Montevideo
    It caught my eye instantly haha. The colour of the top compared to the one on the taylor, plus the strange headstock, it was worth asking. Nice one you have there, at least on paper... Its a shame the ultra heavy bracing, though It could be a nice thing if you install a preamp and use it live...

In any case, nice axes, and thank you for sharing and commenting my post. Cheers!

17. stratman in va

stratman in va Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 27, 2012
    Virginia
    There is a purple HM on the Craigslist where I live. Might be fun to have a little Tele. Really tempted, but I already have a Dean short scale (sort of looks like a mando and a LP guitar had a baby) that I use for travel.

You might look at a 4 way switch and some wiring so that you can run the coils in series.

18. BuckNekkid

BuckNekkid Strat-Talker

Nov 28, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Thank you. That photo was taken a couple of years ago when I was just building up my collection. My older guitars have been sadly relegated to the back. Maybe I should pull them out and play them a bit. Show 'em a little love for all the good years of service they gave me.