Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

NGD - Ibanez Semi-Hollow small body

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by RaySachs, Nov 14, 2017 at 8:45 AM.

1. RaySachs

RaySachs Strat-Talker

Jun 25, 2017
    Philly area
    I've always loved strats and teles, but when I have a strat around, a tele rarely gets played given my inability to make good use of the bridge pickup and that's kind of what makes a tele a tele. Since I'm a long-time strat guy, I'm giving up on teles as a #2 at this point.

But what forced the issue was this - an Ibanez AMV10A, with the V standing for vintage, or relic'd. I generally don't like rosewood necks or 12" radius fretboards or humbuckers, but this has all three and I freakin' LOVE this guitar. I sort of had a semi-hollow body in mind as a #2 to my strat, since it would offer me a completely different feel and sound. Most of them I played I didn't really like. Various Epiphones, D'Angelicos, Gretschs, and other Ibanez models but most of them didn't feel very good to me. I find rosewood necks generally too grabby, too much friction when I really dig in and slide and bend. But man, I picked this guy up and I was instantly in heaven. The neck is smooth and fast - feels more like ebony than rosewood to me, the fretboard is clearly spec'd as 12" but looks and feels rounder. It just plays and sounds right.

It's about the size of an Epi 339, which I played and loved the feel of the smaller body but just didn't bond with the neck. I love everything about this guitar except the relic-ing, but it's not nearly as obvious in person as it is in these photos - the staining is but the nicks and scratches aren't - you can see 'em but you have to look - it really jumps out in these photos. The top and back are pretty heavily relic'd, the sides just barely, and the neck is pristine so I don't really mind it. It's kind of slotted in price-wise between the AM73 and AM93. They make a gorgeous quilted yellow-sunburst AM93 that I almost bought for the looks, but it was $150 more and I like the custom elite pickups on this one more than the Super 58s on the AM93. So I went for function over finish I guess.

Perfect companion to my strat - gives me something COMPLETELY different and i could see them sharing time as #1 depending on my mood. I've become more of a blues guy and MUCH less of a rocker as I've gotten older and this guitar has the right feel and sound for blues.

[​IMG]Ibby-1 by Ray, on Flickr

[​IMG]Ibby-2 by Ray, on Flickr

Here's the electric guitar corner of my office / man-cave - I have my Martin hanging on the opposite wall.
    [​IMG]untitled-1-3 by Ray, on Flickr

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 1:57 PM
    circles, Otisblove, felis and 6 others like this.

2. stratman in va

stratman in va Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 27, 2012
    Virginia
    I have an Ibanez AS73 - semi - hollow, a little larger body. Ibanez makes some great stuff! Very versatile guitars and fun to play.

RaySachs likes this.

3. 8T_BoCO

8T_BoCO Aspiring Stratospheric Stratitician Strat-Talk Supporter

Mar 2, 2016
    Colorado
    Nice! Happy completely different NGD.

RaySachs likes this.

4. RaySachs

RaySachs Strat-Talker

Jun 25, 2017
    Philly area
    Yeah, I played an AM73 - the neck was just as nice as on the one I got, I liked the pickups but not quite as much, but I had a real issue trying to play an arch-top with no pickguard. It was a real reach for my pinky to anchor my picking hand, something I'd never have thought of until I played it. I might have gotten comfortable with it, but it felt really weird.

This is my fourth Ibanez. My first one, an LP knockoff with an ebony fretboard, was an amazing guitar, heavy as a battleship, but played and sounded incredible. The next two were nothing special at all - they were kind of placeholders during years when I was barely playing but wanted to have SOMETHING up on the wall to grab from time to time. Frankly, as little and as badly as I was playing then, I doubt I'd have liked any guitar very much. And this one I can tell is gonna be a keeper. Just an instant connection...

5. gwjensen

gwjensen Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Congrats! Almost pulled the trigger on one of those myself. I thought they did a good job with the aged look.

RaySachs likes this.

6. qblue

qblue Senior Stratmaster

Feb 18, 2009
    Clarks Summit, PA
    I have a hollow-body Ibanez AFJ95 and it is an awesome guitar.

I believe the guitars we have are also hollow bodies. Check the website, as I believe Ibanez does not make a semi-hollow.

Technically a hollow body does not have a center block. No Ibanez has one, like Gibson, Heritage, and Yamaha models.

RaySachs likes this.

7. RaySachs

RaySachs Strat-Talker

Jun 25, 2017
    Philly area
    Yeah, it's not bad - I'm just not a huge fan of prematurely aged guitars. If I'd been choosing on looks, I'd have definitely paid the extra for the quilted yellow-sunburst AM93, which is really a beautiful guitar.

8. RaySachs

RaySachs Strat-Talker

Jun 25, 2017
    Philly area
    This one definitely has a solid block running the entire distance you can see from the f-holes. For sure to the very back end where the strap pin is and as far forward toward the neck as I can see. I'm quite sure it runs the length of the body... I'd guess this whole series of AS and smaller AM models (from the 53 up through the 73 and 93 and including these vintage models) share common body configurations, with some using different wood and varying levels of finish and different hardware...

-Ray

9. stratman in va

Jul 27, 2012
    Virginia
    The "73" has a solid center block in the body, and spaces on either side of it under the f-holes - which would make it a semi hollow. I think Ibanez had some hollow bodies in a similar price range to the AS73 a few years ago, but I don't know if they still make those.

I really like the AS73. I looked at a used Epi Dot and the AS73 side by side, used, and liked the Ibby better.

RaySachs likes this.

10. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Lost Soul Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 19, 2011
    red barn, USA

11. spikypaddy

spikypaddy Senior Stratmaster

Jan 7, 2011
    Devon, UK
    Nice - I'm a big fan of the Ibanez semis. Played a really nice AS73 with Bigsby style vibrato a while back. Sounded and played brilliant.

stratman in va and RaySachs like this.

12. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Senior Stratmaster

Dec 21, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Thats an amazing looking guitar,......been gassing for a hollow body and it looks like I may have to check this model out.

Thanks for posting.

RaySachs likes this.

13. RaySachs

RaySachs Strat-Talker

Jun 25, 2017
    Philly area
    They also make a full size version - same model number but starts with AS instead of AM, so if you like an ES-335 sized guitar rather than a smaller ES-339 version, they're both out there.

-Ray

14. radd

radd Strat-Talker

Jun 2, 2016
    Santa cruz
    I had an AM153 for a short period of time. What a wonderful size and shape for a guitar, same as yours.

Ibanez makes very good products, I still kick myself for selling my AS200 back in the early 80’s

15. stratman in va

Jul 27, 2012
    Virginia

I have an old Blazer solid body / super strat and one of their basses too.