Join Strat-Talk Today

NGD or no???

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by sonny wolf, Apr 15, 2019.

Adopt her or sell her for profit???

1. Yes keep and enjoy the guitar and great deal

17 vote(s)
    70.8%
  2. No,take the money and run

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  1. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Senior Stratmaster

So I wandered into Guitar center the other day and this lovely classic vibe Squier 60s Strat caught my attention from afar in the used section.I picked it up and immediately realised this guitar is a virgin...absolutely no signs of play on it.The plastic film was removed from the pickguard but there is not even the faintest pick scratch on it.Not even a subtle indication of play anywhere on the body on neck...shiny like out of the box and still smells new.It is a recent 2018 model and still has the stickers on the back.She is exactly like any other new condition guitar on the wall.It was probably someone who bought a guitar thinking they were going to take lessons and it never materialised so they got rid of it without ever playing it one bit.Anyways,they had it selling at $169!!!The Classic Vibe Strats sell for $399 brand new and usually around $300 used.Guitar Center mislabeled the guitar as a used Squier Deluxe series on the label instead of a Classic vibe...someone on the staff doesn't know their models.Anyways I immediately jumped on it because I can flip it in Craigslist for $300 and make an easy profit.But the problem is that she is an awesome guitar...lovely craftsmanship and she looks,sounds and plays really nice.I always highly regarded the Squier Classic vibe guitars and this one is a perfect example.This one has a really nice burst with no visible wood seams and is really light...maybe even under 7LBS(???)and the body is carved so sleekly like a 1957 Strat would be.I really don't need another guitar...I even have some for sale presently.But this is one hell of a deal that could be a guitar I might come to love and play.I can always play and sell it down the line if I ever needed to at $300 so it's not urgent to sell it.

So what should I do?Keep it and play it despite my sufficient collection or sell it and make a quick buck?

57350458_2431884950373175_2423410806864478208_n.jpg

57113149_287750892176164_8469553410381709312_n.jpg

2. Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Let me ask you...How often do you find a real winner?

Where does this one fit into your sound chest?

Sell off the losers.

JurnyWannaBe and sonny wolf like this.
  3. Otisblove

Otisblove Senior Stratmaster

Keep it for a while. You can always sell it later.

4. sonny wolf

I seem to always find the winners...G.A.S. is a real thing!!

shupe13 and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  5. sonny wolf

So far I think I am going to keep her.Let's see if someone can talk me out of it!!

gwjensen likes this.
  6. btp25

btp25 Strat-Talk Member

The classic vibe series is outstanding for the money already, let alone the deal you got! If the instrument speaks to you and makes you want to pick it up and play I would keep it. Would it be nice to have an extra $100, of course. But who knows when you'll find another guitar that makes you feel that way. Can't put a price on inspiration... and like Otisblove said, you can always sell it later.

sonny wolf likes this.
  7. Yves

Yves Most Honored Senior Member

Take it off that kitchen worktop real quick before it falls!!
    I'd sell it.

sonny wolf likes this.
  8. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member

I would never talk you out of keeping one more.

sonny wolf likes this.
  9. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    Is it worth $120 to you? I'm guessing after taxes and IF you get $300 for it that's about what you'll pocket. As has been said, you'll still be able to get $300 down the road probably so why not keep it now and enjoy it.

Lone Woof and sonny wolf like this.
  10. maqcatt

maqcatt Strat-O-Master

I vote 'other'
    That would make an awesome gift. Know anybody you really like that would be in heaven to receive a nice looking Strat like that?
    That's what I'd do; a young nephew or an old friend. It would be so much fun to do that.

S Mac

11. 808K

808K Strat-O-Master

Wait until you have serious gas for another guitar and sell it then.

Lone Woof likes this.
  12. TimTheViking

TimTheViking Strat-Talker

Keep it. You know that's what you want to do and now you have a bunch of enablers supporting you.
    How did you determine it was a CV and not a Deluxe?

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  13. charby

charby Strat-Talk Member

I think 99% of people on here are going to tell you to buy it for that price... do it!

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  14. Lone Woof

Lone Woof Senior Stratmaster

Keep it for now. You have a negligible investment in it and can always sell for a gain later if you find it's just taking up space.

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  15. sonny wolf

Nah,I'm too selfish and self-centered to do that(ha!ha!)!!!

16. sonny wolf

I am familiar with the CV series and owned the exact one years years ago...they are quite a popular model.

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  17. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 Strat-O-Master

I’d sell it. Btw, I’m not well versed on squires but I would assume that they use a veneer just like the cheaper MIM used to, still(?), do. Might make finding a seam difficult.

18. sonny wolf

Nope...they use the typical 2 or 3 piece body construction of the more expensive USA Strats.They use the same Alder wood too.The Classic vibe series is the high end of the Squier line and are the best value in the entire Fender line for their outstanding quality that rivals the USA stuff.I own many high end USA reissues and the CV Squiers hold their own very easily at a fraction of the price.The bodies are carved so sleekly and they play really well.They also use good quality Alnico pickups with fiber bobbins that sound great.My guitar is a 2 piece body that I can faintly tell by looking at the back of the body...it is really well matched being invisible on the front and barely noticable on the back.Note that I am refering to the Chinese 50s and 60s Squier CV guitars.They just introduced the 70s CV Squiers this year which are made in Indonesia and I have not tried those yet to say if they are as nice as the Chinese CV Squiers.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    CyFan4036 likes this.
  19. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 Strat-O-Master

It's amazing what comes out of China these days. My first Strat style was an ash SX Hawk and it was a damn nice guitar!

sonny wolf likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.