Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

NGD! Peavey Predator

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by Tomas83, Apr 27, 2017.

1. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Strat-O-Master

Oct 30, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
    Is that the one that was on the Denver CL? It cleaned up really well.

Tomas83 likes this.

2. Tomas83

Tomas83 Strat-O-Master

Jul 30, 2014
    NE in the 4 corners
    That is interesting. Maybe it's happening with multiple people, they may not pay enough attention, like me.

3. Tomas83

Tomas83 Strat-O-Master

Jul 30, 2014
    NE in the 4 corners
    Yes, it was on Denver CL. I'm surprised myself with the end result.

mkgearhead likes this.

4. Jigglebone

Jigglebone Senior Stratmaster

Jan 20, 2017
    Southern Idaho, US
    They make some great amps, too.

Tomas83 likes this.

5. Tomas83

Tomas83 Strat-O-Master

Jul 30, 2014
    NE in the 4 corners
    They sure do. I used to have a late 70's Classic VTX for quite some time. Sounded really good. I certainly couldn't use it to the fullest potential being 60 watt and only the power section was indeed tube with SS preamp. Even the seller of the Predator had a ValveKing. I think my Predator sounds much better through my Joyo, but that's personal taste I think.

Jigglebone likes this.

6. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

I have a patriot and a mantis. these 80s era peaveys are really nice guitars. They were some of the first to be made using a CNC machine too, so thats kind neat.

Tomas83 likes this.

7. Tomas83

Tomas83 Strat-O-Master

Jul 30, 2014
    NE in the 4 corners
    Yes they are, I came across 3 or more 80's Peaveys and they were all good guitars. I remember reading about the CNC too.

8. irie

irie Strat-Talker

Jul 15, 2014
    Orange County, CA
    congrats man, these are such sleeper guitars.

davidKOS and Tomas83 like this.

9. Tomas83

Tomas83 Strat-O-Master

Jul 30, 2014
    NE in the 4 corners
    Thank you, they sure are. Good for the rest of us who might want to get one or two...

10. StratSounds

StratSounds Senior Stratmaster

Sep 10, 2016
    Rocky Mountain Way
    I assume yours has the two piece bi-directional neck that is split right down the middle? My first electric was a 1994 Predator that I bought new and still own. I did some research on them a couple of years ago and apparently that neck design was patented for awhile by Peavey. Mine has a patent pending number on the headstock. The thought process was that reversing the grain of the two pieces creates better long term neck stability and helps prevent warping. I read that Fender even did it for awhile on some strats and other guitar companies do it too.

Based on most of the stuff I read while researching these guitars, a lot of people love the necks. I know mine is still dead straight after 20+ years, and the satin finish has worn off leaving the back of the neck smooth as silk. It's got a bit of fret sprout going from 20 years in a dry environment, but it still plays great. I even dropped it in the driveway once and it didn't even go out of tune.

Since it says "Crafted in U.S.A" on the headstock, I was curious how they could produce these guitars here for so cheap. One thing I came across while researching them were some comments made by a former Peavey employee alleging that the necks were made entirely in Meridian Mississippi, but the bodies were made in Asia as well as the electronics and then they were built up in Mississippi. He said that's why it says "Crafted in USA" instead of "Made in USA" and that it was a bit of a secret when he worked there. Again, this is just some alleged stuff I read online, but it seems to make sense as cheap as these were new. My volume knob cuts out sometimes when rotating it so I need to replace it.

Regardless, it's a great guitar that has been with me for years and I suspect it will be for many more. Congrats on the purchase, yours is the exact reverse of mine. Mine has a black body and white pickguard, Clapton blackie style, yours looks great.

Tomas83 likes this.

11. Tomas83

Tomas83 Strat-O-Master

Jul 30, 2014
    NE in the 4 corners
    Hey you made me go and have a better look at the neck :) Yes, it appears to be bidirectional and split right in the middle. I slightly doubt that somebody would have refretted the neck on mine and there's no fret sprout on mine, even though it sure is dry over here. My back of the headstock says "handcrafted in USA" and there is a mention of 2 patents on there too. I've read that story about that former employee somewhere too, but honestly I don't really care if the guitar is made here or in Pakistan as long as it's made good, which the Predator surely is. Just curious since you are the original owner, what value are your potentiometers? All three in mine are 500k which I thought was unusual. Also I might have to do a slight neck adjustment, what type of wrench is it? It doesn't seem to be the typical Allen wrench there.

I'm glad you still have yours and I'm not planning on getting rid of mine neither. It's a great guitar and I was very happy too see the white and black pickguard color combo too. I think that looks a bit unusual compare to "Clapton style"

12. Lone Woof

Lone Woof Senior Stratmaster

Nov 30, 2014
    WI
    Good find! I've been waiting for one of these to show up on a CL near me.

Tomas83 likes this.

13. Dubble-D

Dubble-D Strat-O-Master

Apr 10, 2016
    Berkshire county mass
    He'll yea

Attached Files:

Tomas83 likes this.

14. Tomas83

Tomas83 Strat-O-Master

Jul 30, 2014
    NE in the 4 corners
    I'm pretty confident that you'll find one for a good price. There are few in my area plus pawn shops. Also Guitar Center used section is helpful and not I also like Music Go Round.

15. Tomas83

Tomas83 Strat-O-Master

Jul 30, 2014
    NE in the 4 corners
    That's nice man! Nice to see you have the logo on the pickups too. I haven't seen that yet. But I only seen 2 Predators with the black pickguard and pickups.

Braumeisterblake likes this.

16. aviamsi

aviamsi Strat-O-Master

Aug 31, 2015
    Israel
    HNGD!!

Tomas83 likes this.

17. StratSounds

StratSounds Senior Stratmaster

Sep 10, 2016
    Rocky Mountain Way
    Would you believe I've never had the pickguard off or had to adjust the neck? Ha. I'm afraid I can't help with either of your questions. If I replace the volume pot I'll report back and let you know.

Tomas83 likes this.

18. Tomas83

Tomas83 Strat-O-Master

Jul 30, 2014
    NE in the 4 corners
    Thanks! This guitar really is special...

19. Tomas83

Tomas83 Strat-O-Master

Jul 30, 2014
    NE in the 4 corners

Thanks man. Yeah I believe you ;-) I had to deep clean her, so I took the pickguard off, as I didn't want to risk any damage to electronics. Every time I get to play the Predator I play for hours.

StratSounds likes this.

20. weavert

weavert Strat-Talker

Aug 28, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I got one when I moved back to Az in 1992. After a year or so, it sat in a corner and I wound up selling it in the mid-2000s. Tried to buy it back a couple years ago, but the guy's son couldn't find it. Wound up finding a Raptor II international in a pawn shop for $60. That's my project guitar. Wish I had my old Predator, but it's lost to time.

Nice find!

Tomas83 likes this.