Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

NGD = Squier classic vibe Stratocaster aztec gold

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by leevc5, Nov 24, 2017.

1. leevc5

leevc5 Strat-Talk Member

Apr 12, 2016
    ventura
    Walked into the music store and saw this CV marked $224???? A new CV for that, something gotta be wrong...looked it over closely, played it until the friendly sales guy wandered over...said will you sell it for this out the door? Guy said probably but let me check...Ooops, price was wrong, they would lose money...check with the boss...OK but I had to pay the tax.

Home now and loving playing the thing through my little 5F1. My first CV and I am totally blown away. Maybe new gear euphoria...Will give it a few days but I don't think so...this thing plays great and sounds better than mims I have played.

Newbie would like some info, like what p'ups; opinions CV vs mim build quality, stuff like that.

ryapou, Mansonienne, Yaralag and 6 others like this.

2. Thin69

Thin69 Strat-Talker

Nov 16, 2009
    Galveston, TX
    What a deal, congrats!

3. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    There is a long standing rule here at strat talk.

Pics, or it didnt happen.

But congrats anyway. Enjoy!

4. Believer7713

Believer7713 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    Great deal!! But we like pics. Where are the pics?
    1511554541446.jpg
    This is is waiting for pictures.

Mansonienne and nederemer like this.

5. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    Congrats on getting such a great deal on the CV Strat.

The general consensus on this forum is that the CV is so good that it doesn't need any "upgrades". The pups in the CV Strats have vintage voiced (lowish level) tones. I really like them myself but they aren't "hot" or "beefy" sounding like the MIM pups. Different strokes!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    Pukiman likes this.

6. alderre

alderre Strat-O-Master

May 1, 2014
    New Braunfels
    I hate these threads where someone pretends to have a new guitar.

Waiting for pics

7. stratcpo

stratcpo Senior Stratmaster

Jan 19, 2010
    south texas USA
    Well I don't see a new guitar. Bring it on. ENJOY!!!

8. dazco

dazco Strat-Talker

Oct 5, 2017
    california
    Pickups depend on the model. Is it a 50s or 60s? Being gold i believe it must be the 50s. I have the 50's in white and the pickups are a mixed bag for me. They use A3 magnets and the bridge has become my favorite strat bridge pickup ever, and thats saying something. The neck and middle i found A3 doesn't do it for me at all and i swapped them out. YMMV, but man o man is that bridge tone perfection ! The 60s models use A5 and i haven't had the CV with those or the tonerider A5 models which is what basically come in the 60s. I have no doubt they're excellent tho from my other experiences with them.

As to build, i have 2 MIM classic series, a 60s strat and 50s tele. Both are great guitars and IMO the CV is as good with some advantages and some disadvantages. The cons being that tiny tremolo block degrades the tone over a full size or full size steel block. Improved mine a lot, Then the cheap switch should be replaced because they are very unreliable. But on the plus side the pickups are far better on the CV's. Of course this is all IMO, tho the trem thing is pretty much universally agreed on by those who can hear it. But as far as CV vs MIM, IMO MIM classic series are great but not really better, and i think MIM stndards aren't as good as the CV's. You have a great strat. I would say play it as is and in the future as you get to know it see if you start feeling it needs improvement in any ways and go from there. To me a fender style guitar is it;s neck and body. the rest is like tires on a car and usually nearly ever fender or squier i get end up with lots of mods, but i'm extremely anal about tonal and playability perfection. And they ARE capable of top notch tone and playability. You made a good choice.

ryapou and leevc5 like this.

9. Eddie H

Eddie H Strat-Talk Member

Nov 11, 2017
    New York, NY
    No need to mod anything. The CV's are great standing guitars. $225 is a steal.

Post pictures or the thread will close. ha ha

10. leevc5

leevc5 Strat-Talk Member

Apr 12, 2016
    ventura
    WP_20171124_15_39_36_Pro[1].jpg WP_20171124_15_39_49_Pro[1]-1.jpg
    It happened! And an afternoon of playing through different amps from clean to raging overdrive it is one killer guitar. WP_20171124_15_39_36_Pro[1].jpg

ryapou, 1980, rudos1 and 22 others like this.

11. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 24, 2017
    Sharpsburg ,Ga.

12. Ronnie12460

Ronnie12460 Strat-Talker

Mar 19, 2014
    Abilene, Texas
    Beautiful, congratulations!!
    HNGD!!!

13. nederemer

nederemer Strat-O-Master

Oct 25, 2017
    Somerset, Kentucky, USA.
    Nice man. Looks classy with the gold hardware. Like maybe the kind of guitar you would play at a wedding reception lol

West Coast Idea, leevc5 and mechanic like this.

14. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    The pickups in your guitar are very good. They are Tonerider pickups. The Surfari model to be exact.

http://www.tonerider.com/surfari

I loved my CV '50s Strat when I bought it, It is IMO better than a MIM Standard. The only thing I did was buy a MIM standard tremolo (direct drop in replacement, no mods needed, $20 on Amazon) because I wanted a bigger, heavier block. It's a great Strat. I've had it for over 4 years, and I still love it.

Pukiman and leevc5 like this.

15. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden

16. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I would rather have a CV than a Mexican Standard any day. With the Mexican Standard you're paying a lot of money for the "Fender" name. The only thing I don't like about the CVs is that the decals look a bit cheap & nasty, with different colour type & a look that just doesn't hang together due to the strange angles used. The Vintage Modified Squiers have nicer decals, IMHO. My CVC Tele seems to be worse in this respect than the Strats.

IMG_7804.JPG

But if that is their greatest fault, that's not a major fault! Is that Aztec Gold? It doesn't seem to have enough yellow in it for Aztec - it looks halfway to Shoreline Gold.

Viking likes this.

17. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Stratocrastinator Extraordinaire Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2015
    Paris suburbs, France

18. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    The EU
    HNGD!
    I could have gotten one of these instead of my Tele - I'd regret buying the Tele if it hadn't become my favorite guitar.
    Still, my next Strat will be golden, so I dig yours!

19. Pukiman

Pukiman Strat-Talk Member

Mar 1, 2011
    London
    Congrats, Happy New Guitar Day

Don't worry what internet gurus say about the size of the trem block, the prettiest girl and all the audience at the gig can't tell or hear what size block is on your guitar.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017

20. sooper8

sooper8 Strat-Talk Member

Apr 7, 2012
    UK
    Totally gorgeous! Congratulations