Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

NGD - Squier JV 10/82 domestic Strat

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by MatthewK, Dec 3, 2017.

1. MatthewK

MatthewK Strat-Talk Member

Aug 17, 2013
    Hobart, Australia
    Well - I got a pretty good deal on this so I went for it out of pure curiosity - I have an early A serial Fender Japan JM, and an SQ serial Squier Tele, and now I've crossed the threshold into JV territory (and 1982, the initial run of guitars with the large Squier on the headstock). Next stop Fender JV I suppose, but I'd need to sell my car or something.
    Anyway, this is BEAUTIFULLY made, dark rosewood neck, frets in good shape, but must have been played a lot given the wear on the output jack plate. Basswood body I think, I've seen a photo of the neck pocket (10/82) but didn't open it to check myself.
    When it arrived it sounded kind of weird, with a strange almost distorted overtone to the clean sound. When I switched the strings for my usual 11s / wound 3rd, I discovered the nut was loose. A couple dots of superglue and it's all snug and clean-sounding. Wonder how long it had sounded bad.
    Neck's lovely, body contours are so slick and the only non-original thing is a DiMarzio something bridge pickup. I'm not a Strat guy but I am for this and my '77 Greco.
    One thing I find interesting is that in 1982, this was a replica of a '62 Strat, which was a 20 year old guitar at the time. But now this Squier is 35 years old, even more vintage than its inspiration. And I'd say it was built with the same care and skill as the original.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sooper8

sooper8 Strat-Talk Member

Apr 7, 2012
    UK
    Congratulations. How/where did you pick it up?
    I’m a Tele man but am also on the hunt for a Japanese Squier Strat

MatthewK likes this.

3. MatthewK

Aug 17, 2013
    Hobart, Australia
    Just a seller on eBay - bought something from him and asked what else he had around!

4. sooper8

sooper8 Strat-Talk Member

Apr 7, 2012
    UK
    I sometimes do that too.

How's it sounding?

I have been on the hunt for a few weeks and missed out on a couple, then am pondering to myself why I don't just buy a Japanese Fender for not much more - then started researching Tokai from early 80's and have now come to the conclusion, for what I want it for, maybe a used Squire Classic Vibe would be a 'better' cheaper option.

Viking likes this.

5. nico75

nico75 Strat-Talk Member

Aug 1, 2015
    italy
    Very nice JV, congrats! :thumb:

MatthewK likes this.

6. Rob Moreno

Rob Moreno Strat-Talker

May 28, 2017
    Tokyo
    I have an 82 JV sunburst Squier too. It plays and sounds incredible. Interesting how the bridge pickup on yours escaped the yellowing of the others. Did you check if it had been swapped out?

MatthewK likes this.

7. MatthewK

Aug 17, 2013
    Hobart, Australia
    It has been, yeah - as I mentioned, it's something DiMarzio, which the seller told me. I only lifted the pickguard enough to see that the other two are Japanese alnico pickups and to heck the DM-30 switch etc. I have a 1985 Jazzmaster whose pickup covers went the same shade!

8. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member

Very nice Strat....The old JV's are some of the nicest necks around...

One ?

The Strings with the wound 3rd who makes those or do you know where i can find them?

Thanks mate.....

MatthewK likes this.

9. MatthewK

Aug 17, 2013
    Hobart, Australia
    Hi Percy - I was originally introduced to the wound 3rd by the Dean Markley vintage sets but they're no longer made (apparently the DM Signature 2505C and their Blue Steel 2562A have all the same gauges including the wound G, but they are 7 string sets). These days I use d'Addario EXL115W sets - they are .011 top E, I don't know if they do a .010 set with a wound 3rd.
    http://www.daddario.com/DADProductDetail.Page?productid=24
    The good thing about the wound 3rd (apart from being much easier to get good tuning and chords sounding better) is that vintage pickup stagger is designed for a wound 3rd - a plain 3rd is much too loud with the G polepiece so close to the thick wire.
    EDIT - d'Addario do have a set of .010s with wound 3rd, EXL110W: http://www.daddario.com/DADProductDetail.Page?productid=16

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    Percy likes this.

10. ryapou

ryapou Strat-Talker

May 28, 2012
    Germany
    When I read the description, I expected a Jimmy Vaughn .
    HNGD!

MatthewK likes this.

11. MatthewK

Aug 17, 2013
    Hobart, Australia
    Ha - never thought of that! I'm a bit of a Fender Japan collector so JV only means one thing to me ...

ryapou likes this.

12. guitarman1984

guitarman1984 Senior Stratmaster

Jul 24, 2013
    Italy
    Very nice.... And JV means early fender japan production to me too.

MatthewK likes this.

13. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    A Jimmie Vaughan would be a JLV Strat. Calling a Jimmie Vaughan a JV just causes confusion as the JV Strats were around fifteen years earlier than the JLVs.

14. ryapou

ryapou Strat-Talker

May 28, 2012
    Germany
    I was just joking, referring to another thread where the opposite happened.
    Too subtle, I guess.

15. Fairlane 63

Fairlane 63 Strat-Talker

Dec 12, 2016
    Campbell, CA.
    Very nice looking JV. HNGD!

MatthewK likes this.