Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

NGD Wooooooohoooooooo!

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Nickyboy261, Jan 6, 2019.

1. thxphotog

thxphotog Strat-Talker

Aug 22, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Scrolling through the 1st pic I thought: "American Special? Looks a lot like mine." Then I saw the neck. (drooool) Gorgeous guitar! Congrats!!

2. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Strat-O-Master

Nov 6, 2018
    Vancouver, Canada
    I haven’t had much time to play mine through an amp. I played it for about half an hour at the seller’s hoke through a 5E3 type Tweed amp. Straight in, no effects. I was on the bridge pickup but wouldn’t have known. It was full and not thin or brittle. Middle sounds fantastic and also not too bright and the neck of course is outstanding,

Way different than anything I’ve had before. The pickups are set pretty high and higher than I have them in my other guitars, which would usually make them a little unruly in my experience but these ones are really well controlled. I’ve read a lot of opinions about the pickups really making this guitar and yeah, they are that good. I’m hoping to carve some time out this afternoon to really get an idea of what they’re like.

Hey @Nickyboy261, what do you think of the pickups? Have you had much time to play yours since you bought it?

3. Nickyboy261

Nickyboy261 Strat-Talk Member

Dec 30, 2018
    UK
    Hey. I haven't done anything else accept play it since I bought it, can't get enough of it. The pickups are what I expected, full and clear when on a clean amp and superb with a tube screamer added in front. The only thing to be aware of is the middle pickup which needs it's height balancing with the bridge and neck pickups as it is quite hot. Also be aware that without the tone control on it, it can be quite edgy when using drive. Other than that it's happy days all around.

Forgot to say, switching to the bridge is a joy now, no "arghh where's the tone control!?".

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Andrew Wasson likes this.
  4. Nickyboy261

Nickyboy261 Strat-Talk Member

Dec 30, 2018
    UK
    The other thing I've done is to lightly take off the top of the lacquer on the back of the neck with very fine wire wool. I was a bit worried to start with but it has made the neck a lot better. I don't get the sticky feeling that was building up with extended playing.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  5. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Running with Scissors
    The middle is hotter so EJ can keep it lower but have balanced volume. EJ has said he tends to hit the middle pickup as he picks right over it often. Also since there is no tone control the middle is hotter than the neck and bridge.

I used Gibson pump polish on another members recommendation and played it for two weeks and have had no problems with either of mine in two years. Pump Polish is basically nitro and it slicks the neck up nice. It also keeps it from going sticky again and you don’t have to sand it.

6. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Strat-O-Master

Nov 6, 2018
    Vancouver, Canada
    I plugged mine in today and I couldn’t stop playing. I mean seriously I didn’t want to put it down. I brought in my Telecaster which always sounds spectacular amplified and I brought in my maple neck, black 94 MIM Strat which is my best set up Fender (prior to the EJ Strat). I was planning to switch the guitars to give me some reference points regarding the tone, pickups, etc... I did switch guitars a little but 90% of the time I was on the Eric Johnson Strat. The tones it’s capable of are astounding. It has a presence and growl that is similar to what I get from my P90 guitar and again, that neck is so playable! I’ve got really good callouses. I play at least an hour every day but right now my fingers are kind of sore from playing. I haven’t felt that for a while.

The reason that middle pickup is so hot is because it’s not inhibited by the tone circuit. My other Strats are wired that way too and I just keep the middle pickup lower than the outside ones. I haven’t adjusted the heights on these ones yet. They sound so good I probably won’t. They’re a little higher than I usually set mine but I don’t care. It sounds too good to mess with. Love this guitar!

Hey, if you hadn’t bought yours last week, I’m not sure I would have bought mine. Thanks for that!