Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Nicholas Lee Custom Shop Guitars - George Harrison Pre-Rocky Sonic Blue Strat!

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by juanjosebh, Sep 24, 2012.

1. juanjosebh

juanjosebh Senior Stratmaster

That's a beautiful one, so what's the story of the guitar?

2. blackstrat

blackstrat Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

This is a great looking guitar, congratulations!!

I just wanted to point out that the sonic blue/maple neck guitar in the video can't actually be Rocky because that footage is from 1970-71 and by that time Harrison's original sonic blue guitar had already been repainted (probaby around 66-67 I think). Also, being '62 strats both guitars should have had rosewood boards and mint pickguards from the factory. My guess is that the strat in the video is probably John Lennon's original sonic blue strat with a retrofitted maple neck (the pickguard is still mint). If that's true, I think that would make the guitar even more special!

3. theactor19

theactor19 Banned

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. GordonRules24

GordonRules24 Strat-O-Master

This is pretty much correct. The Strats John and George bought in 1965 had rosewood fretboards. George gave his the "Rocky" paintjob in 1967 and added to it through the years. John was always abusing and tinkering with his guitars, so it's very possible that something happened to the original neck on his Strat and he replaced it with a maple one at some point. Sadly, John's Strat has disappeared and would be priceless if it ever surfaced again and could be authenticated.