Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Nitro neck with modern specs?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Jelacile, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Jelacile

Jelacile Strat-Talk Member

Feb 10, 2016
    Norway
    Hi strat friends

I’m in the market for a maple neck with modern specs, i. e: relatively slim C shape, jumbo frets and 9.5 radius. However, I also want one that will show wear relatively quick, i. e nitro finish I assume (see attached photo of a real 1955 neck to get an idea). To be clear, I want to produce the wear myself by playing it. Additionally, the neck needs to be an official american Fender neck.

Any ideas for which neck I should look for will be highly appreciated:) thanks a lot

IMG_5685.JPG

2. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Beer me up Scotty Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 11, 2015
    Sweden

3. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster

Feb 17, 2016
    New Zealand
    Maybe a AV hot rod 57 if you can find one. I think they had modern specs over a vintage finish...

Lots of the wildwood thinskins had modern profiles and frets.

If you want to buy the neck seperate I think you’ll need to get something non fender branded.

I’ve got a couple of maple neck nitro strats with 1000’s of hours on them and they don’t look like that old 55 though... the modern paint doesn’t seem to wear like the old stuff, even the ‘nitro’.

4. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    He said he wants a "relatively slim C shape". Surely the whole point of the Hot Rods was that they had a much fatter neck than the ordinary AVRIs?

5. Guy Named Sue

Feb 11, 2015
    Sweden
    Not the 57 as I recall, the 62 sure that was a beast of a neck but the 57 was about the same thickness of the AVRI soft V.

6. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Well I've learned something new today. :cool:

7. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 10, 2012
    stamford, CT
    Highway one/Special has some of those specs and they're easy to find

8. Mr Dunlop

Mr Dunlop Senior Stratmaster

Nov 30, 2014
    usa
    FSR Fender Deluxe Vintage Player ‘62 Stratocaster® (Base model- American Vintage ‘62 Stratocaster)

Model Number: 017-0047-(Color#)

Series: American Vintage Series

Neck: Maple, “C” Shape,

(Gloss Light Tint Nitro-Cellulose Lacquer Finish)

Fingerboard: Rosewood, 9.5” Radius (241 mm)

No. of Frets: 22 Medium Jumbo Frets

Limited run made in 2005. Cool guitars but have a rosewood fingerboard.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018

9. Guy Named Sue

Feb 11, 2015
    Sweden
    I think he wants a one p maple to achieve the worn out look on the fretboard.

Mr Dunlop likes this.

10. John C

John C Senior Stratmaster

Jul 17, 2012
    Kansas City
    Highway 1 necks were poly (as are American Special necks); only the body was that matte nitro.

These new "Parallel Universe" Fender models are supposed to have nitro finishes; I'm sure we'll begin to see some of them parted out as more of them are released, and most of them are going to have the American Professional neck shape.

11. Skinny Nitro

Skinny Nitro Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 21, 2013
    Merseyside UK
    The new vintage style American Original 50's Strat neck is maple, nitro, 9½" but soft V not C.

Am_Orig_50s_neck_detail.jpg

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018

12. Sinner1980

Sinner1980 Strat-Talk Member

Will be tricky... Sometimes you see CS necks separately sold on Ebay so keep an eye on that. I owned a Hot rod 57 myself but it’s not what I consider a thick neck nor a C shape. Also, although nitro finished it will take a long time and a lot of playing for it to start to show some wear.

I would contact MJT and have them make a neck according to your specs and a thin nitro finish, perhaps even slightly reliced as I believe that’s what you’re actually after.

Guy Named Sue likes this.

13. diogoguitar

diogoguitar Strat-O-Master

Feb 2, 2012
    Northwest US
    There are different solutions for different budget levels. If you get an American original 60's, you'll get a slimmer neck w/ 9.5 radius and medium jumbo frets, but that will cost you like $2,000.

You could also order a warmoth or musikraft neck, which will cost you $250-350 with the exact specs you ask. You could even have them put some fancy woods or other radius profiles, like an ibanez 16" with 20mm at the 12th fret.

These custom ordered necks are really good.

14. Jelacile

Jelacile Strat-Talk Member

Feb 10, 2016
    Norway
    Thanks a lot everyone! Many good suggestions here, quite a few relevant necks I didn’t think/know about. The hunt is on:)

15. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Don't you have that backwards? :)