Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Noiseless p90 options?

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by strat_attack13, Nov 9, 2018.

1. strat_attack13

strat_attack13 Strat-Talk Member

May 31, 2016
    virginia
    I decided I'm going to mod my first real guitar.

After I finished my mjt/warmoth clapton strat, I am absolutely in love with the midboost circuit. I love the dynamic range it gives, and the boost sound is amazing.

I know a few tele's came with the circuit so I can use the same circuit in my modern player jaguar.

Its a two p90 guitar, so noiseless p90's are a must, because regular p90's would be WAY too noisy with the circuit on.

I know there's

kinman,
    mojo tone,
    fralin,
    barden,
    duncan stacked,

Are there any cheaper options? Most of these are around the $300 a set range, and that combined with the price of the harness and the dusemberg les trem I'm going to install, is worth more than what the guitar was purchased for, so I'm trying to keep the price lower (under 200 if possible?).

Any suggestions?

2. fezz parka

fezz parka Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    ₩¥€£§μГ
    The midboost circuit will sound like ass ( noisy as hell) with any standard pickup...both single coil and humbucker. The Lace Sensors and Vintage Noiseless are what the circuit is designed around.

Omar likes this.
  3. strat_attack13

strat_attack13 Strat-Talk Member

May 31, 2016
    virginia
    I know, that's why I run lace golds in my clapton strat. However, it's not designed specifically around those pickups. It was originally designed for making regular strat pickups sound like humbuckers (the original 80's Elite strats). The noiseless pickups came later. Any set of noiseless pickups will work, as a bunch of people run the boost with things like the duncan stacked single coils, etc.

I wasn't asking if it will work, because I already know the circuitry, it WILL work, I just need the right pickups.

What I was asking was if anyone knew of any alternatives or better options for noiseless p90's.

Thanks!

4. bassetman

bassetman Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 14, 2018
    Pomeroy, WA
    The Mojotone are really nice....really nice.

5. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

Get a cheap ebay P90, $10/pair, remove the magnets and the pole pieces, wire the bobbin in reverse wound to a toggle switch to engage when you need it. Hide the bobbin under the pickguard/control cavity (yeah, a space problem). Make sure the face of the bobbin is pointed in the same axis as the other two coils.

However, if you have a separate pair of wires running to the jack, replace those with shielded cable. I find that's about half the noise floor of a guitar.

6. Nick-O

Nick-O Strat-Talker

Jun 20, 2014
    SC
    I had Fralin noiseless P90's and they were perfect, not tame but not noisy if that adds up. I would get them again if the need arose.

7. fezz parka

fezz parka Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    ₩¥€£§μГ
    Which was designed by Jim Demeter and John Carruthers...two old LA friends of mine. The original MDX boost was 12 dB and had a dummy coil. It was voiced differently than the Clapner model which is double that ( since its based around the Lace sensors) at around 500Hz and will sound like ass in my opinion with standard pickups, even with a bucker or dummy coil. Then again one person's ass is another person's gold. ;)

I'd use your original pickups in conjunction with a dummy coil, just like the original MDX circuit.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    Omar likes this.
  8. SAguitar

SAguitar Senior Stratmaster

Jun 28, 2014
    Oregon
    Go with Kinman, they are worth the money. You can thank me later.

CalicoSkies likes this.
  9. JKjr

JKjr Strat-Talker

Jun 8, 2008
    Raleighwood
    To my ears, the thing that often gets lost when a traditional SC is rendered humbucking is the harmonic content, and that's what's most important to me.I have two sets of Fralin P90 single coils, and they have it in spades. I also have had occasion to play Lindy's hum canceling P90's in his shop, and they don't lose much. There's still more in there than most. It's one of the few I can wholeheartedly recommend.

10. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

Jun 10, 2013
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    I do like Kinmans. I haven't used their P90s, but I wouldn't be surprised if they sound great.