Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Noisy Pedals

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by Stormy Monday, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Approaching the Crossroads Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 19, 2011
    red barn, USA
    I added a Boss Angry Driver to my home brew pedal board. And found out that it doesn't like the noise coming from the other pedals. Sounds fine by itself.

The pedals are powered by a 9V adapter and a daisy chain cable.

The signal path is: Guitar > Modtone Wah > TC Spark Mini > TS9 > Fuzzface Silicon Mini Blue Fuzz > Boss Angry Driver > amp.

While it would be neat to have a pedal switcher, some of the articles I have read said that power should be first.

Usage for this is playing at home, in the barn with the band, an occasional playing out.

So any suggestions where I should start first?

gracias

2. heltershelton

heltershelton ROCKIN FOREVER Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    what kind of 9v adapter is it? ive seen where a lot of them are noisy. of course it was a one spot thingy, so naturally the guys gonna say other adapters are noisy.

3. Teddy Watkins

Teddy Watkins Senior Stratmaster

Sep 25, 2009
    Florida
    You can probably start and end right there. Daisy chains can be bad news. Try all of them on a battery and see what the difference is, then try an isolated power supply if that helped.

Dick Blackmore and Stratoskater like this.

4. Stormy Monday

Jan 19, 2011
    red barn, USA
    pretty much generics from MF. Not One Spot

5. Stormy Monday

Jan 19, 2011
    red barn, USA
    tomorrow to publix and get a bunch of 9V bats

6. heltershelton

heltershelton ROCKIN FOREVER Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    yeah.....try a one spot. i run 5 pedals on mine and have no noise.

T Bone Slort likes this.

7. guitarface

guitarface Senior Stratmaster

Nov 11, 2012
    New York
    I've never kept really close track of these things, but more for the purpose of taming the tangled mess, I recently got an mxr iso powerbrick ten and again, without having a super great memory for what it used to sound like, it sounds great and very quiet with six pedals, two of them boss.

8. Teddy Watkins

Sep 25, 2009
    Florida
    It isn't about the number of pedals. It is the combination. You get one pedal that interacts poorly to sharing ground(think that's the issue) with another pedal in the chain and you will have problems. Even if things work ok now, 1 pedal change in the future could mess your whole situation up. Get your power as good as you can afford. Worst case for now, run the Angry Driver off its own supply or a battery, but the problem will probably come back in some new combination.

Deebs3 likes this.

9. Teddy Watkins

Sep 25, 2009
    Florida
    I used an iso brick when I built my board and along with building new patch cables, I felt my sound was much improved.

Good video here. They get into Daisy Chains pretty early.

Stratoskater likes this.

10. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

May 2, 2016
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    When I found my one spot (and a couple others) to be noisey I bought a really cheap caline isolated power supply (about $35). Everything quieted down. Been using it about 8-9 months now

11. Stormy Monday

Jan 19, 2011
    red barn, USA
    I saw this this morning and the little light started to glow. All the noise went away after they assembled the new board.

nhsdpl likes this.

12. guitarface

Nov 11, 2012
    New York
    Haven't finished watching this one yet, but they did another build with Matt schofield and fixed a lot of his noise issues.

13. Stormy Monday

Jan 19, 2011
    red barn, USA
    did you get a chance to compare the Caline to other more expensive power supply?

14. Teddy Watkins

Sep 25, 2009
    Florida
    I saw that today too. I'd like to have some of Dan's products but they are pricey. Every board he does results in basically the same positive responses from the players.

15. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

May 2, 2016
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    No I didn't. I bought the cheapest one I could find just to give it a go. I'm sure it'll die someday then I go for something a little more reputable, but until then $35 is alot less than I would have spent on batteries by now 1515785788565.jpg

16. Stormy Monday

Jan 19, 2011
    red barn, USA
    Yea, I really don't want to go down that rabbit hole

17. Raiders757

Raiders757 Senior Stratmaster

Sep 2, 2016
    Virginia
    I've tried the cheaper power bricks and ended up ditching them for a few quality power supplies. Bought two Truetone 1 Spot Pro CS12 and a CS7 power supplies for my boards. It was well worth the investment. They are easily one of the best on the market right now.

Personally, I would avoid the cheap power bricks and daisy chains. I learned this the hard way.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018

18. guitarface

Nov 11, 2012
    New York
    I've tried to incorporate some of their advice with budget friendly substitutions. The mxr ISO brick has been working for me at 99 bucks. Seeetwater had a deal where it came with a bunch of free patch cables.

19. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    I had this exact same issue when I put a Neo Ventilator on my board. Noisy when used with other pedals; it was a positive-tip 12v that didn’t like the negative-tip 9v on the other pedals and caused ground loops. I put it in the loop and that cured me.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018

20. Stormy Monday

Jan 19, 2011
    red barn, USA
    Well I knew this day would arrive. The cheapo wall wart and daisy chain will be retired. I'll figure out what to replace it with. Budget friendly