Join Strat-Talk Today

non band players ...

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by robistro, Apr 14, 2019 at 1:09 PM.

1. robistro

robistro Strat-Talk Member

just wondering how do you non-band players practice or get into playing music?

I do have a looper that I use, but probably not using to its full potential.
    I cant seem to get into it unless I have background beat or a song to follow and even then it gets boring quick...maybe I have a case of a.d.d. and cant stay focused long enough.
    I always end up finding myself noodling pointlessly around on the guitar making up stuff and then forgetting what it was I just played... :)

I dont even know if Im sounding decent or just pulling random notes together and sounding bad.

If playing alone - What are your methods of playing or what do you do to stay focused?
    Any suggestions ?

2. guitarjack

guitarjack Strat-Talk Member

Try to get a recording setup going where you can record your pointless loops, mash ‘m up together, add some drums and end up with something meaningful. :)

For example buy a mic to record your cabinets (shure sm57 is a great start) or use amp modeling software like biasfx and get some daw software like reaper/studio one etc.

Deathray likes this.
  3. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

Looper, backing tracks off youtube and sometimes just me w/ my acoustic

4. circles

circles Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Maybe post a Craigslist ad for other who might want to meet up and noodle/jam/practice/whatever. I answered and ad for musicians who want to do that, and specifically not form a band. There's loose group about 5 of us who meetup every other Sunday. That's as one guy has his kids every other Sunday.

It's nice as although we would all rather be in a band, various thing prevent us at this time. Some of us are more into trying to play accurate covers, some of us (like me) are more into picking up on a riff someone is getting into, and improvising to that. Also you can pound on some originals. And anyone can sing, it's a chance to get more comfortable doing that.

I'm heading out soon, one day we may tape stuff, but it's pretty informal. Short story - it's a lot of fun and you can network, downside, nothing serious gets done lol. I'll dive back in the deep end one day, but right now I'm happy to paddle around in the shallow end.

5. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Record everything. Midi drums (and bass if I can't be bothered to play it).

Stratoskater and JustABluesGuy like this.
  6. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

It's a strategy that takes a long time but I have had some success with actually fathering a drummer/bassplayer kid. YMMV

Groovey, Cerb, Stratomike and 3 others like this.
  7. vid1900

vid1900 Senior Stratmaster

Normally there is a logic circuit in your brain that discovers if you play guitar, no matter how poorly, you can land a chick that is way out of your league.

Soon after, your brain finds that if you are in a band playing guitar, chicks will even pay your car insurance and feed you, because they believe that you will someday "make it" as a big star.

Works the same for drummers. Even a 400 pound, 45 year old guy, covered in Dungeon & Dragon ink, will have a 19 year old rich spinner chick supporting him.

Hot broads MAKE you join a band.

61t+7mYVWlL._UX679_.jpg

ajb1965 and Cerb like this.
  8. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Play along to music. I'm not referring to backing tracks, but to music by artists you love.

You get the benefit of enjoying listening to music you find interesting, but more importantly you get the true feel of being amid the interplay of vocals and real drumming.

For lead, you can just go crazy over the whole thing, inserting fills, working on timing, working on solos, seeing how long you can play before hitting a bum note, etc. Get creative and challenge yourself.

For rhythm, you get to play with another guitarist and real bass and drums.

I find backing tracks boring as hell. Same for a looper.

I have a file of over 500 songs on my computer I put on random and play along to. See how fast you can determine the key. See how fast you can work out the rhythm, whatever.

Good luck!

9. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

There's backing tracks out there that are complete songs minus 1 guitar, or keys. They're really decent

10. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Senior Stratmaster

I’ve always been fortunate enough to have some people around to play with fairly often. When I first started, and was practicing alone, I would play with jam tracks, and or a drum machine.

I also recorded almost everything with a cheap casette recorder. I still use a lot of the better riffs that I came up with way back then. If I hadn’t recorded them I probably would have forgotten them instead of developing them.

Playing with others as @circles mentioned, is one of the very best ways to improve, especially if you can find more advanced players to play with. My problem is that most of the players that are much better than me are out gigging and don’t have time to jam.

I do have some friends that I jam with fairly regularly, but I am the more advanced player in this group. I would really prefer to be the weakest member, but I still enjoy it and it gives me an opportunity to learn how to teach a little.

Speaking of teaching, have you thought about lessons? Like being in a band, having some discipline imposed on you can’t hurt. Either homework from an instructor, or a setlist that needs to be learned before next week’s gig can force one to focus.

And remember, almost all of us spend at least some of our practice time aimlessly noodling, so don’t beat yourself up too much over yours. Good luck!

circles likes this.
  11. robistro

robistro Strat-Talk Member

Good advice listed...
    I think I might be burned out on practicing and just need to play along to something thats actually music. Like a CD or something.
    I'm sick if hearing backing tracks.
    If I play bad it don't matter to me at this point, I'm gonna give it hell! Look out Jimi !!!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

JustABluesGuy and Bowmap like this.
  12. Neilena

Neilena Strat-Talk Member

Play for friends, busk on the street, make up your own stuff, remember it, play it often and hear how it develops. Teach guitar..that will motivate you to really learn songs. Quit playing when you're burnt out. Gotta love music to make music.

13. Nate D

Nate D Senior Stratmaster

My 5 year old is obsessed with learning to play the trumpet. That might make the jam sessions odd

14. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    "I always end up finding myself noodling pointlessly around on the guitar making up stuff and then forgetting what it was I just played... :)"

My entire guitar playing experience in one sentence.

mkgearhead, robistro and Lone Woof like this.
  15. JaxStratGuy

JaxStratGuy Strat-Talker

That's dedication. :D

16. Fakenewts

Fakenewts Strat-Talk Member

Loopers for me are great for getting into a bit of a trance, one of the keys to using them if you're used to playing alone is restraint, because as a lone guitarist in a room you get used to trying to fill as much space as possible. Building multiple layers is considerably easier if you are a disciplined rhythm player and keep it simple. Then start filling it out slowly one part at a time, using different settings on your guitar to differentiate. When you get that down you can finally noodle to your heart's content.

Some people find loopers good as songwriting tools but for me I get too zoned out, so I also recommend trying to write a song - pick a key to start in, pick a tempo, even if you're no good with words maybe write some anyway. Doesn't have to be great, don't have to show it to anyone, ever, but it does give you something to aim for. Also helps me to pick a key that I'm not necessarily used to playing in, like if you're mainly a rock player, force yourself to use a melodic minor mode for a song, not just to expand your repertoire but also because it can break you out of a creative slump. I'd bet most guitar players know how easy it is to lapse into the same old noodles over and over. Shake it up.

The difficulty playing alone is that nothing external is challenging you, no bassist calling a key change, no drummer bringing it to a bridge, no other soloists to make space for. Try to impose some challenges before you start.

In my experience there's no real substitute for bouncing ideas off other talented musicians, but you really can get pretty close if you invent some rules.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  17. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

Find others to jam with. Nothing will make you improve quicker than playing with others.

18. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Strat-Talker Silver Member

Join a band. Get some guys together to jam. I spent 25 years only ever playing guitar on my own productions, jamming alone to tracks I created. Last year a joined a band. I practice, I play for fun, my playing has improved dramatically.

Until you play with other musicians, it’s like playing tennis against a wall.

19. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Strat-Talker

I was in various bands early on (~40 years ago), but nothing since. I have gone through years long periods of not playing at all. In fact more years off than on.

I've managed to keep fairly active for going on nearly 4 years now. I do need something to take it to a better level.

That has been me mostly. I'll learned some beloved old songs from the past via the sometimes excellent YouTube tutorials. Still, I need more.

20. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

That's the beauty of being a non-band player, no need to practice. I just play....:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.