Join Strat-Talk Today

non band players ...

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by robistro, Apr 14, 2019 at 1:09 PM.

1. Zeekrider

Zeekrider Strat-Talker

Some of you already have this down, but for those of you who are creative/inventive guitarists who are losing your ideas to the atmosphere... this is for you:

First and most importantly, IF you are a creative / inventive musician and you often come up with composition ideas (cool sounding chords, great chord changes, progressions, melodies, rhythms, etc.) then always have a handy digital recorder beside you while you're playing and use it!

Do NOT allow those great original ideas be lost forever to the atmosphere!!! It is SO easy for great ideas to pour out of your creative soul, only to be soon forgotten forEVER.

Next most important thing is to have blank chord chart sheets and a pencil at hand to write down how you played some of those awesome sounding chords and changes that you came up with!

Each of my recordings is date stamped and numbered for that day (Zoom H4N automatically date stamps and numbers each recording that I make), so I use that number on my written chord charts to match up what I recorded with what I wrote down, making it very easy for me to figure out what I did that sounded so cool... that I had long forgotten about!

This is about ALL that I do as a guitarist/composer, and I've got hundreds and hundreds of recordings and countless pages of notes for those recordings. The only 'problem' I seem to have is that I'm so busy coming up with new ideas, that I don't spend much time developing the ideas that I've already come up with - but at least all of my original ideas are recorded for later use and inspiration.

I've long-since forgotten 95% of the ideas that I've come up with over the years, but they're all recorded, so when I listen back to the recordings, I'm amazed at all the cool ideas that are just laying there waiting to be developed, that I had totally forgotten I'd even come up with.

This sure does keep me busy in my retired years! :D

I do, from time to time, use a looper for development of original compositions and sometimes record tracks in GarageBand, adding bass, drums, and samples of various instruments. Always with my original compositions. I don't play anything written by anyone else. In some ways, that's a negative, in other ways that's a positive.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019 at 2:50 AM
    StratSounds likes this.
  2. Stark

Stark Ghost of Johnny Thunders Strat-Talk Supporter

I’m “that dumbass” who bangs out the cowboy chords with Marshall amp distortion and doesn’t practice playing lead guitar....but I can play Hammond organ* and sing.

:)

* I play a Hammond SK2. Dual manual but avg. $2,000 less than a B3 + Leslie

CB91710 and Stormy Monday like this.
  3. Yves

Yves Senior Stratmaster

I work on scores from artists I like. For a number of years now I have those few books with transcriptions from Joe Pass, where he takes you through his approach, techniques etc...

Whenever I feel lost for inspiration and left in a vacuum of ideas I take those books out and work my way through a few numbers.

Doing so I believe has immensely broadened up my vocabulary be it in blues, funk or Jazz.
    I try not too get too much hooked into this though as I also feel that it ends up affecting my thinking, driving me to become too methodic in my approach at the cost of creative.

So I concluded it is about striking the right balance. trying to pick a spoonful of new ingredients and spend some time explore with them.

But yeah, music is boring on your own. You need to get involved with people you share your interest and pull something together. That is what brought us to play the bloody thing in the first place.

4. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

and learn to sing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.