Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

NOS vs. JJ's (tube battle)

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by The Strat Dude, Nov 9, 2017.

1. The Strat Dude

The Strat Dude Duderino Strat-Talk Supporter

I got around to doing a little sample of each for comparison. !952 RCA's vs some pretty darn good sounding JJ's. The difference is subtle but definitely there. Whether or not the monetary difference is worth it is subjective. This is the first time I have spent this kind of money on tubes so I am a bit of a nu-be. Here is the rig, Ampeg J-20 through a WGS G12q, Guitar , a touch of delay then amp. Bridge pickup of course, Same settings . upload_2017-11-9_19-26-57.jpeg

tell me what you think, or can you even tell? NOS first JJ's second.

2. Ebidis

Ebidis Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    I can hear a difference, but to tell you the truth I don't think either was really better, just a bit different. I thought the JJ's sounded a bit cleaner and less compressed.

abnormaltoy and The Strat Dude like this.

3. Ebidis

Ebidis Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    BTW, Love your playing!

The Strat Dude likes this.

4. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    I can hear a difference but do not think either is bad, they are just a little different.

I preferred the NOS, they seemed smoother to me.

5. The Strat Dude

You are too kind, Back at ya :D. And different is a good way to put it, I like both sets. This set of JJ's is the best out of 3 sets I had. I like the NOS set a lot, but will probably slip the JJ's in for jam night.

abnormaltoy likes this.

6. The Strat Dude

After listening a couple times I thought the NOS would work well for rockabilly and the JJ's would kill at AC/DC covers.

henderman likes this.

7. Rastus

Rastus Senior Stratmaster

Jan 1, 2014
    Australia
    Hey Strat Dude,

I'll flip a coin & go with what it lands on !!! Heads = NOS, Tails = JJ's

(Your SG is giving me gas BTW...(No more pictures of it please lol)) !

NOS won the flip...

8. The Strat Dude

Thanks for stopping in my friend:D. Sorry about the SG ;), the 339 and the SG are getting all the play time these days.

Rastus likes this.

9. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Strat-O-Master

Sep 3, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Maybe save the NOS tubes for recording use, and take the more easily replaceable JJs out to experience the rigors of the road?

Tone Guru and The Strat Dude like this.

10. mshivy

mshivy Most Honored Senior Member

I can't make any judgement from iPad speakers.
    I dig your playing, nice phrasing.
    You should be gigging, hope that's in the works.

11. rolandson

rolandson Senior Stratmaster

Jul 13, 2015
    Cascadia
    I thought the JJ's a little darker... softer if you will, while the RCA's a touch crisper...(or should that be crispier ? I don't wish to make comparisons with a refrigerator you know).

I'm not familiar with the details of the Ampeg...is it self biasing? If not, there is a small amount of wiggle room where one can go a little cold, or a little hot and have a noticeable affect on the flavor. I should point out that when I say "a little" I mean a little...

Are you putzing with the preamp tubes too? Depending on what you're looking for, changing them can be dramatic...

But...to my ear, the JJ's were every bit as pleasant as the RCA's. (How's that for covering my ass?)

Rastus and The Strat Dude like this.

12. The Strat Dude

You are too kind, only the occasional jam night. Too busy for a band :( but you know how that goes;).

mshivy likes this.

13. Inverness

Inverness Senior Stratmaster

Dec 24, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    I liked the 1st set better. Thought they had a bit clearer chime to them. Now go out and get you some NOS 12AX7 and mess around with the front end :D

14. The Strat Dude

I think you say "more crispier " :D. The Ampeg is a reissue of all things a very similar circuit to a brown face D-lux. And it is awesome, PTP made in Vietnam 2007. I picked it up for $450. And yes self biasing, the tubes are pretty close on the scale.

15. The Strat Dude

I was planning on it, but these tubes blew the slush fund :whistling:

Rastus likes this.

16. Inverness

Inverness Senior Stratmaster

Dec 24, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    Looks like the SG has to suffer while it waits for it's Bigsby...:sneaky:

17. The Strat Dude

It is going to get some love this weekend as I have been putting off new pots and swapping in that fabulous set of Bodean Buckers. The bigs will have to wait for now.

18. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Feb 17, 2016
    New Zealand
    JJs for me. I went through a stage of boutique tubes but I've used JJs for years now. They're cheap sound good and easy to buy.

Playing was great by the way...

Tomas83 and The Strat Dude like this.

19. rolandson

rolandson Senior Stratmaster

Jul 13, 2015
    Cascadia
    Spent some time looking at the Ampeg J20 manual, and they themselves appear to encourage some experimentation on the front end...
    From page 6:
    Thus it appears (emphasis added) as though you can safely experiment with the "12A's" in shaping the sound. Therefore, you might be in a position to play around without the expense of NOS preamp tubes...

Here, while this is focused primarily on the BlkF Deluxe Reverb, the principles still apply:
    http://fenderguru.com/amps/deluxe-reverb/

And you do know that Eurotubes is your next door neighbor...right? More than once I've saved shipping charges by simply dropping by (after calling first of course).

20. The Strat Dude

Aren't they in Milwaukee?