Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

NOS vs. JJ's (tube battle)

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by The Strat Dude, Nov 9, 2017.

1. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Thread derailer Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2013
    Tucson
    me neither...I'm on my phone now, I'll try later.

The Strat Dude likes this.

2. Raimonds

Raimonds Strat-O-Master

Mar 28, 2015
    Latvia
    I can repeat myself: tubes do change sound of an amp. Slightly. Speaker do change the sound of an amp much more. Because different speakers are designed to sound different. Tubes are made to specs which are the same between all tubes of one kind, ideally. They are not designed to colour the signal, they are supposed to increase the voltage on the output by x amount if the grid voltage is y and input voltage is z. Sputnik went to outer space with tubes onboard and if they would colour the signal, it would go probably in different direction. :)

BTW, you should record your playing in looper, then play the same signal with various tubes, record and ask someone to play you the files in different order and try to find which is which. I am not sure you will be able to tell which tubes are which :D

p.s. nice playing and great guitar!

3. moullineaux

moullineaux Strat-O-Master

Jul 11, 2009
    ATLANTA, GA
    Have been using JJ’s for years and never had a problem.

abnormaltoy and Tomas83 like this.

4. rolandson

rolandson Senior Stratmaster

Jul 13, 2015
    Cascadia
    Yep! Just( a few blocks) off 99E.

abnormaltoy likes this.

5. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Strat-O-Master

Sep 3, 2016
    Houston, TX
    It's odd to me, being fairly new to tube amps how people seem to either love, or hate JJs. I've also heard the exact opposite about them, that they are among the least dependable.

No one seems to be "indifferent" to them for some reason.

I've never tried them myself, so have no opinion on them. I guess I will have to try them for myself.

abnormaltoy likes this.

6. The Strat Dude

The Strat Dude Duderino Strat-Talk Supporter

I have had a couple go microphonic on me over the years, but no worse than any other brand.

abnormaltoy, JustABluesGuy and Rastus like this.

7. FormerTeleGuy

FormerTeleGuy Senior Stratmaster

Nov 17, 2013
    Oak Lawn, IL
    The late && great Bill Machrone said something along the lines of "tubes are like tires; they're round, wear out, and need to be replaced".

I hear the differences (nice playing BTW) but ultimately two sets of tubers from the same manufacturer could have differences in sound (gain factor, and other factors I don't really understand) which means comparisons between brands can be even more wild.

This is why I love JJ's. They're pretty reliable and inexpensive and what I use in all my amps.

8. Tomas83

Tomas83 Strat-Talker

Jul 30, 2014
    NE in the 4 corners
    Hey that was very nice playing! To my ears the JJ’s sounded overall nicer. Both sounded very good.

abnormaltoy and The Strat Dude like this.

9. Tomas83

Tomas83 Strat-Talker

Jul 30, 2014
    NE in the 4 corners
    That’s true I’ll say this though they are good enough for Angus Young...

abnormaltoy and JustABluesGuy like this.

10. Robins

Robins Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
    Coll comparison - I like the JJs better, tighter, fatter, clearer and more Rock´n´Roll.
    I think you got the point straight - RCA more vintage(Jimmy Page) the JJs more modern (AC/DC).
    I like both though.
    I could buy several JJs for the RCAs so I would be a lucky man xD

All the best,
    Robin

11. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Thread derailer Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2013
    Tucson
    @The Strat Dude

I hear a slight difference. Very slight. The NOS could be called a bit brighter and the JJ a bit mid-ier...fuller.

The Strat Dude and rolandson like this.