Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Not so fast

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Stratoman10, May 13, 2018.

1. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 24, 2015
    Va. Beach, Va
    I was all set to return my 339 yesterday. I got it a week and a half ago. It was supposed to be a 2016-17 with the dual volume/tone controls. But it's a 2014. Not exactly what I was expecting. My local store got it from another store in Texas so it was a bit of an effort to get in the first place. Not sure how things got goofy but it's a really nice guitar I cased it up for a few days but pulled it out for one last shot Friday night and really liked it all over again .Saw a newer one the GC site but turned out it was chewed up.

Which got me to thinking that even though this one wasn't exactly what I was expecting it's a really sweet guitar. Not a scratch on it, plays great, feels great, fit and finish are top notch. I'd really like the dual controls but if that's the only thing I can live with it. I decided why take the chance of trying to order a newer one all over again and find it not being as nice as this, sending it back, etc. If later down the line I decide the lack of dual controls bothers me that much I'll deal with it then .I don't ride the controls too awfully much anyway, it's really more of a visual thing for me

So here's the guitar in question, a 2014 Gibson 339 Studio. A step up to the standard would have been nice but this saved me enough to get a new amp. There will be a NAD post soon. Incoming Peavey Mini Classic 20 head to match the cab I just got

20180430_155939.jpg

2. Bcorig

Bcorig Strat-Talk Member

Feb 17, 2018
    Chino Hills CA
    The guy to the immediate right of the guitar in your picture is telling you that your store should be willing to make you whole in trade or lucre after mishandling the deal by coming up with a Studio instead of the Standard. It might explain why you got such a good price. Elvis Costello: “Accidents will happen.”
    It’s a beautiful guitar and I really like the simplicity of the single volume, tone controls - very clean looking. If you can say the same for the tone, keep it and get something out of your local guitar shop.
    “One man’s opinion-without tears”: Lt. Howard Hunter

3. Stratoman10

Aug 24, 2015
    Va. Beach, Va

I knew it was going to be a Studio, that's what I wanted so I could get a new amp head also. It was just volume/tone configuration and the fact that it's a 14, not the 16 or 17 I was expecting. My local shop would have taken it back. I've been dealing with them forever. They were a Gibson dealer up til maybe a year or so ago but they finally couldn't keep dealing with all crap Gibson puts dealers through. So they called around and found this in TX, we're in Va. It was supposed to have been newer but signals got crossed somewhere. So here we are. Shoot, a new 2018 is north of 3K now. I'm good with this one

Bcorig, Robins and Bob the builder like this.

4. rolandson

rolandson Senior Stratmaster

It's very pretty. If it plays to your liking, then that's more better. The electronics can be made to be whatever you want them to be.

I would suggest that if and when that time should come, get back to us...the wiring harness can be....
    Interesting.

Nice guitar.

Bcorig and Stratoman10 like this.

5. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 24, 2017
    Sharpsburg ,Ga.
    If you're diggin it ,then rock on with it !

Stratoman10 likes this.

6. perttime

perttime Strat-Talker

May 4, 2015
    Finland
    Sounds right too?

It is not my color, and I wonder what it would take to get the volume knob where the switch is now.... :)
    I don't really care for lots of knobs but prefer the volume to be within easy reach.

Stratoman10 likes this.

7. Stratoman10

Aug 24, 2015
    Va. Beach, Va

Volume is in front. On my Gibbys I prefer separate volume and tone for each pickup

8. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
    A great guitar is a great guitar.
    I think you already fall in love with the way it feels, plays and sounds.
    That is what matters. You will get used to the look. I like it even better having just the two knobs instead of the 4 knobs.
    It is not a bigass guitar as the 335 and it makes it easier on stage. Well, I never use any tone knobs but that´s me.
    Keep the good ones.

All the best,
    Robin

Stratoman10 likes this.

9. nungesser

nungesser It's so very lonely you're two thousnand light yrs Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2014
    Ireland
    gorgeous guitar! hell you'll have all the knobs you need on the face of your new amp head :cool:

Stratoman10 and s5tuart like this.

10. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    Please do a write up on that new Peavey head...
    Was going to get one a couple years back...

Stratoman10 likes this.

11. Stratoman10

Aug 24, 2015
    Va. Beach, Va
    With any luck I'll have it by Friday

thomquietwolf likes this.

12. Stratoman10

Aug 24, 2015
    Va. Beach, Va

This one plays fantastic. Neck size is great a little bigger than my Fenders but smaller than my SG. it has an interesting contour. And the frets are about vintage Fender sized. Not like the railroad ties on my SG

rolandson likes this.

13. Stratoman10

Aug 24, 2015
    Va. Beach, Va

I'm digging it. After I left GC to check on the one I saw online I got that little voice in my head that told me, " you've got this one already, theres absolutely nothing wrong with it. It must have been meant to be " That was that, mind made up

14. CigBurn

CigBurn Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 22, 2014
    The Shed
    I am actually redoing one of mine. A black walnut Tele style body with control routing in back. Caused a bit of wood working to happen in order to hide the two extra holes. It had an LP harness/two five wire humbuckers and four controls. With which I could never quite bond.

Tested out a new wiring setup and decided I liked it enough to go through the entire process of refinishing the body. Always making work for myself I guess. hope you end up loving whichever you end up with. :)

Stratoman10 likes this.

15. Nate D

Nate D Senior Stratmaster

Apr 2, 2016
    Ohio
    If you paid for something, they owe you the difference.

16. rolandson

rolandson Senior Stratmaster

Then it's a keeper.

I've a similar dilemma, kinda sorta...
    After receiving a new speaker for my DR yesterday, I did one last cursory search and discovered one that I originally wanted was indeed available... at twice the price.

Now then, what to do...return the one I just received and pay a fee because it isn't defective (Amazon) and buy the other at twice the price, or be satisfied with what I have?

Decisions decisions.

Well... I did the third option. Bought both. Spouse is gonna kill me. I hope it's quick.

Mansonienne and Stratoman10 like this.

17. Stratoman10

Aug 24, 2015
    Va. Beach, Va

Yeah, sometimes you just gotta take the pain :oops:

rolandson likes this.

18. tery

tery Most Honored Senior Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Tennessee

19. Stratoman10

Aug 24, 2015
    Va. Beach, Va

For what I paid it's all good. It's still in the fair range. And I've been dealing with them for years so it's not like they were trying to put something up my nether regions.

Nate D likes this.

20. mutato

mutato Senior Stratmaster

Jul 10, 2007
    RI
    I vote keep it. Beautiful guitar and that simpler tone volume controls will make it easier playing live if you do. I have an ES335 and I find it’s a little too giddy when dialing in two volumes for rythym and leads.

johnnymg and Stratoman10 like this.