Join Strat-Talk Today

NPD...Helix Stomp!

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by Electgumbo, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Lost Planet Airman Strat-Talk Supporter

Ok fist things first.. “ This Pedal is The Devil!!!” Ok got that out of the way. I picked up this Helix Stomp over the weekend. I’be fooled around with one a few times at the local GC and was impressed with its sounds. Thinking I could down size my pedal board but retain all my sonic fire power intrigued me.

Well out the box I was very intimidated by the unit. The fact that Line6 doesn’t bother to provide a manual didn’t help. I found my self watching videos and reading the manual on line from the Line6 website. So after getting a little information I fired the damn thing up. I clumsy stumbled thru the thing and made a sound or a patch using just effects in to my H&K Tubemeister 36. That wasn’t too bad. But some thing wasn’t right. Back to YouTube I found a video of Tim Pierce demoing the unit. He was raving about the Amp&Cab models. By using just those he was getting some very impressive sounds... so back in I when adding amps and cabs to what I had already made. Holy Crap! My little patch came alive!!! Oh now I was happy! I got a little better at going thru the unit. I made a SLO patch that sounds uncanny like my Decatone. I made a Marshall Plexi patch that sounded like my dear departed stack! Then a Twin Reverb and a sweating Tweed Deluxe! I been around long enough to know what those amps sound like and what they do.

I’ve stayed away from modeling for 20 years. I had the Axsys 212 and the POD. Those things sounded ok but there was a flatness or one dimensional quality to them I found. They sounded like a CD of a amp instead of the real amp. Once you hear and feel it you can’t shake the idea that those things were just toys. They ran me back to real Soldano, Marshalls and Fender amps! “Ain’t nothing like the real thing baby.” is how the song goes. For right now the Helix seems to be a vast improvement over those early units.

Dude! Dude! Dude! The sound and feel of this Devil box is amazing! How it can be used and configured seems endless! In front of a amp, in the loop, direct to a powered speaker, direct to a pa, and as a Digital Interface direct to a DAW!

Well at least I hope to shrink the pedalboard down and use the unit for delay, Leslie, Tremolo, Vibe and POG. That would lighten my board up nicely. I hope to get it down to a Pedaltrain Metro size. I have one with the hard case that would be ideal. The Honeymoon is on for now...

959629C2-891A-4AEC-84AE-45AAC9389E90.jpeg

2. usul1978

usul1978 Guitar bricolo Strat-Talk Supporter

Cool ! I use its cousin the hxfx. Great sounding effects, even the drives.

Electgumbo likes this.
  3. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

That's awesome!! It's interesting to hear this kind of review from somebody with real world experience with the devices being modeled.

I've been a MFX/modeling guy for the last 5 years. I tried gigging with my amp and because of the smaller venues we play (bars, restaurants, and small clubs), my GT-100 is a better fit. It makes it easier for me to manipulate my sound on stage, less gear to haul, less of a tight fit on stage, and it truly sound great! This past weekend, I even said to my bandmates that I don't know how it would work if I had a physical amp...there was nowhere on the stage to put one!

Lovnmesomestrat and Electgumbo like this.
  4. emann

emann Strat-Talk Member

that's great...I am really looking into it but not sure i I can at that budget...

Someone has any idea which sites to monitor for any possible discounts?

let us know how you get on with it...are you plugged directly to your amp or what is your configuration?

Lovnmesomestrat and Electgumbo like this.
  5. usul1978

usul1978 Guitar bricolo Strat-Talk Supporter

The used market is your best bet. When the hxfx went out, quickly you found some units to sell. People want to try and sometimes want to change !

Electgumbo likes this.
  6. JB74

JB74 Strat-O-Master

HNPD! enjoy!

Electgumbo likes this.
  7. Electgumbo

@emann
    Well the idea was to use it in the effects loop of my Soldano. Have it replace the variest units on my pedal board like the Flashback, Mini Vent, Drybell and other limited use pedals that I may use for one song. Like a POG I use for one song. Oh and the HOF Reverb. Just make the board smaller with really nothing much on it.

But the capability of the Helix Stomp has surprised me. It’s seemingly endless possibilities has me rethinking the whole thing. I see were I will be a few weeks until I can actually use it. But that’s ok.

But for right now it’s just plugged in to the front of my Tubemeister 36 in my music room. I guess I’ll have to make some presets for use in a loop and some for the front of the amps without loops. But my intimidation if the Devil Box has faded and I keep learning more and more about it. Like the fact that multiple presets can be assigned to 1 button. What clever engineering!!!

I have limited experience with processors. I have a TC Nova System which I used for a while and I got good sound out of. But it didn’t model amps and cabinets. It couldn’t be configured 4 or 5
    different ways. It is much simpler to use but like all new gear it had its own learning curve. I’m much more of a pedal and amp guy. But that might change for a while.

circles and ZlurkCorzDog like this.
  8. emann

emann Strat-Talk Member

thanks to respond @Electgumbo ... I am new to the fender strat from mainly fingerstyle acoustic playing but the tone of a strat always intrigued me and lately got me an american professional. I am also not fond of a lot of pedals but I do have in mind a single piece of equipment that can give me these various effects by simply connecting it to my blues junior iv.

Does this also come with a built-in looper - like the boss rc-1 or rc 3 type?

Really glad for you and of course HNPD! Please post some examples of your experience and btw what guitar do you have?

ZlurkCorzDog and Lovnmesomestrat like this.
  9. Lovnmesomestrat

Lovnmesomestrat Strat-O-Master

Thanx a lot for this review EG, I have toyed with the idea of trying this pedal, but wasn't too sure about the sound quality.

I always respect your opinion and love the sounds you are able to get outta your Strat, so that makes me want to give this a closer look....(me Mrs is gonna choke me, lol).

Please continue to keep us updated on this one.

LMSS

ZlurkCorzDog likes this.
  10. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Senior Stratmaster

@Electgumbo I can echo some of your sentiments about the early stages of getting into a Helix. My poison is the Helix LT. After a short learning curve, I started to be able to really dial in some great tones. I am now using the Helix LT and a Line6 Powercab as my gigging rig. I really like the snapshot feature and use it to easily switch tones mid-song when I need to get that slightly different feel. And the other added feature is that with us playing more "Some Girls" material I needed to be able to add some modulated sounds to my rig and the Helix allows me to do that without lugging a massive pedal board around.

I sold my Katana, and all of my pedals and use this exclusively. I have a pair of tube amps, but they aren't used for gigging any longer. This is just too darn simple to set up and use and 99% of the audience will never know I am not heating up the tubes to play.

11. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

I've been gigging a mfx unit straight in the PA for 4 years now (GT-100). When I hear recordings of our performances, I'm still amazed at how good it sounds. Especially in a cover band, the flexibility and portability just can't be beat.

Electgumbo likes this.
  12. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Senior Stratmaster

The area where I really enjoy this type of setup is that I can use the Powercab, Helix, one cable between the two, and a one guitar cord and I am set-up and ready to go. I can cover tons of sonic ground and know that if I want to go back to my "base" sound, it is a footswitch away.

13. Electgumbo

@emann
    Yes there is a looper... don’t ask me how it works cause I ain’t got there yet... but it’s in there

Lovnmesomestrat likes this.
  14. Lovnmesomestrat

Lovnmesomestrat Strat-O-Master

Sorry, I meant to ask how you like (or not) the vibe/leslie/roto sound?

Thanks
    LMSS

Electgumbo likes this.
  15. mowatsmith

mowatsmith Strat-Talk Member

Been itching to try one of these. Now more so.

16. Electgumbo

It’s been a tough few days with me frustrated with the Helix Stomp! The little documentation in closed and reading the manual on line didn’t help. The use of the “touch” feature was beyond my grasp. I know what it does and watched a number of videos demonstrating it but I couldn’t make mine work. It’s a way of assigning multiple tasks to one button which is very cool, clever and useful since the unit only has 3 buttons. I finally got it sorted out with the help of Jason at the Line6 help desk. Big ups too Jason.

Now I can toggle from a slightly breaking up AC 30 to some High Gain Amp called Pliacater Lead... with one button. Toggle on and off a TS pedal with another button. And lastly add Chorus and Delay on and off with the last button. That is very clever use of one preset!

I just wish the documentation was easier to understand how to do it!!!

@Lovnmesomestrat
    I been banging my head on this button problem to much to explore the sounds much. I did make a SLO lead sound with a Vibe and Delay that’s pretty scary!

Lovnmesomestrat likes this.
  17. Antman

Antman Strat-Talker

I use the big helix floor unit. Amazing piece of kit. I used to use a hd500x and thought that was good.

I'm a home player so the helix can give me 100s of amp/cab and pedal options i could never have had.

Multi effects have come a long way.

carolinaeasy and Electgumbo like this.
  18. Bluestrat83

Bluestrat83 Strat-O-Master

Congrats! I'm planning to get this eventually. I read in a previous comment you'll be using it in the effects loop but have you tried as a part of the main pedal chain to see how it works???

Electgumbo likes this.
  19. Duotone

Duotone Senior Stratmaster

I want a helix!

The hx stomp seems to be a great solution for a lot of situations!

Electgumbo likes this.
  20. Electgumbo

@Bluestrat83
    The perpose of the Stomp is to pretty much eliminate the pedal chain... but it’s so extensive and more of a Swiss Army Knife then I could have imaged. I want to use it in the loop of the channel switching amps and in front of the non-switchable amps as a all in one thing. I want to use a Wah, Volume
    pedal, Tuner and maybe one OD and have the Stomp do everything else. Right now I’m wanting to use my channel switching amps. I don’t need 3 or 4 OD’s with them... I just need a few effects in the loop now and then... may windup being my problem solver.

Bluestrat83 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.