Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

NPD - MXR Prime Distortion

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by papergoblin, Nov 10, 2017.

1. papergoblin

papergoblin Strat-Talker

Sep 21, 2017
    Alabama
    Went to buy new strings and made the mistake of looking around, lol. Low and behold in the used case was the little MXR for $25. I have been looking for an overdrive but when I saw the price, I had to at least try it out.

The knobs tone, output and distortion are fairly responsive. The tone covers a decent swath without getting to extreme (unusable) in either direction. The output isn't as big a gap from one end to the other but small changes are noticeable. The distortion goes from a light crunch with more sustain (similar to an overdrive or some compressor pedals) to just noise. It stays pretty tight and focused all the way up, not as loose or harsh as say a Rat can get.

It may not do (newer) heavy stuff but some early Metallica and/or Cro-Mags, it's not a problem. I ran it through a Bugera T5, which is fairly bright and a good bit of headroom. The Bugera has to me, always sounded somewhere between a Fender and Vox clean. Since it uses bass and treble knobs, Marshall type sounds aren't really happening, but this pedal does give a good Marshall-y mids boost. So it might not work as well on a darker sounding amp, then again tone is subjective.

All in all I am fairly pleased so far and at least it saved me some money, helped squash the GAS for a Super Badass. Don't get me wrong the Super can cover more ground, however I think this Prime may just fit the bill for my needs, right now anyways (until a new precious comes along).

Sorry no pics but phone camera sucks anyways. I know pics online show it different colors, the one I have resembles that Rustoleum brown/red primer and has cream markings. The markers on the knobs are cream and green glow in dark.

mshivy and circles like this.

2. mshivy

mshivy Most Honored Senior Member

Congrats! Is it a distortion or an overdrive?

3. papergoblin

papergoblin Strat-Talker

Sep 21, 2017
    Alabama
    It's labeled a distortion but does a really good job of being either or.