Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

NPD - Tumnus Deluxe

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by Murphcaster, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Murphcaster

Murphcaster Strat-O-Master

Oct 17, 2013
    Huntington, WV
    Cutting to the chase. Anyone who likes the regular/mini Tumnus will likely enjoy this pedal. It's just what you'd expect. The regular Tumnus with more tonal options. I really like having an active Bass and Mid control. I had planned on getting a Timmy pedal but don't see the point now as you can adjust the eq on this pedal to taste and even get a flatter frequency response if you so desire. You can really take some mids out of it or really ratchet it up. Same with the bass. For me this was the selling point of this pedal.

I also really like the taper of the Volume knob. On the mini, unity gain was around 9 o'clock. With this pedal it's definitely higher which I like.

The buffer switch is pretty self explanatory. Without the switch engaged you have true bypass. Engaged you get buffered bypass.

The normal/hot switch is also a nice option but for me, I'll likely keep it in the normal setting most of the time. Brian mentions this in his video on the deluxe but I'll dovetail and say you really won't hear much difference between the normal/hot settings unless the gain is pretty high. Around noon or lower I couldn't discern any difference. The higher the gain, the more difference you'll hear.

In short, I really like the mini Tumnus but the deluxe version takes the original and makes it better due to the eq controls. This is going to be an always on pedal for me.

2. usul1978

usul1978 Guitar bricolo Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 9, 2015
    France
    Oooow yeah !

Mine is on the way and I don't think I'll be disappointed either (unless it pops and blips and screams "I'm from a batch !").

If you push the gain with the Hot switch what do you get ? Is that usable ? It's not the heart of this pedal but I'd be glad to have a nice punchier OD in there.

3. Murphcaster

Oct 17, 2013
    Huntington, WV
    It's definitely usable. With the hot switch engaged and the gain high/maxed, you could have it work as a stand alone overdrive if you wish. Everyone is different when it comes to sounds they like but for me I really had to bring the mids and treble down as the "hot" higher gain setting can get pretty aggressive. That can be good or bad though depending on what you like, but that's what's great about this pedal (and many other good ODs). The options are there for you to try. But I was pleasantly surprised at how well the eq was able to smooth things out in the hot/high gain setting.

One thing I forgot to mention regarding my short experience with having the hot switch on. One of the things I really like doing with the mini Tumnus is boosting other od pedals with it. It's great at this IMO. The Deluxe version is too but when boosting my JHS @ with the hot switch on it seemed to clip way too much. As soon as I switched the hot switch off (placed in the normal setting) all was fine and great.

This is just my assumption but it could be that the hot switch is there to use as a stand alone od but if you plan on boosting other pedals you have in front of it, it might better to keep the switch in the normal setting. At least this was my experience. I've yet to test my other od pedals with it to see how they play together but they all worked great with the mini Tumnus so I don't expect anything different.

usul1978 likes this.

4. usul1978

Dec 9, 2015
    France
    That makes a lot of sense, thanks.

5. Raiders757

Raiders757 Senior Stratmaster

Sep 2, 2016
    Virginia
    Blasphemy!!

There is always room for a Timmy. Heck I have one stacked with my original Tumnus, and the Tumnus without the wonderful clarity and awesomeness the Timmy provides would sound like poo on it's own. :)

In all seriousness, the Timmy is an awesome OD pedal and I can't imagine a board without one. I use mine as more of a clean boost and when the Tumnus is engaged it adds a little more mid range. Both together stack nicely with my many other OD/Distortion pedals. The Deluxe is on my radar, but for now it's down on the list.

Excellent review by-the-way. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

6. Murphcaster

Oct 17, 2013
    Huntington, WV
    I'm trying to save money man, not get any deeper into the pedal vortex than I already am

I still want a Timmy. That's just my feeble attempt at talking myself out of it lol

Raiders757 and usul1978 like this.

7. usul1978

Dec 9, 2015
    France
    I tried the tumnus. It comes from the first batch so I'm a bit paranoïd.

I have to crank a lot the level to get unity...Do you have to do that too @Murphcaster ?

8. Murphcaster

Oct 17, 2013
    Huntington, WV
    It was definitely designed to have more taper on the level control. More so than the mini Tumnus. Brian mentions that in his video of the deluxe version. Unity on the mini Tumnus is around 9 o'clock. On my deluxe, unity is around noon. Personally, I like this feature. YMMV. My OCD pedal is similar to the deluxe in that regard. I find that it can be more versatile with boosting other pedals in front of it. If I simply want to use it as a boost though you'll have to have the level around noon, possibly a little higher.

Where is unity at on yours? I did get a version with an "M" at the beginning of the serial number. Not sure what that means though. Out of curiosity, where did you hear about the Tumnus Deluxe having issues with their first batches? I've searched online but haven't been able to find anything about this.

Ah...never mind. Found it on Wampler's website

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017

9. usul1978

Dec 9, 2015
    France
    The M means that yours was fixed.

The rest, you read it and there's some more info from the man himself on TGP.

Murphcaster likes this.

10. Murphcaster

Oct 17, 2013
    Huntington, WV
    Thanks. Hope things work out with your new one. I'd like to try the Germanium Oxblood but after trying the regular version and determining it wasn't what I was looking for, I've not really gave the Germanium a second thought. That, and being really happy (so far) with the new Tumnus Deluxe, I'll likely focus on other areas of pedal expansion.

11. gonzo

gonzo Senior Stratmaster

Dec 4, 2009
    POWDERVILLE, UTAH
    it'd be great to actually hear a recording of this thing.

no, not a phone recording.

that way, we could actually gauge the words with the ears.

simoncroft likes this.

12. Dick Blackmore

Dick Blackmore Strat-O-Master

Jan 10, 2017
    San Diego
    Looking forward to some sound samples. I was going to order one after Christmas. I'm keeping my mini though I love that thing.

13. usul1978

Dec 9, 2015
    France
    I understand very much your concern on that matter. So I really recommend this video.

Edit : Oops, wrong thread. That's the oxblood. For the tumnus dlx, Pete Thorne is here for you though.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017

14. Murphcaster

Oct 17, 2013
    Huntington, WV
    All these should cover it.

15. mutato

mutato Senior Stratmaster

Jul 10, 2007
    RI
    I am Sooooooooooo Jonesing for one! Have to sell some junk to get up the $!