Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

NPKD - Optical Compressor

Discussion in 'DIY Effects Forum' started by Chont, May 8, 2018.

1. Chont

Chont Senior Stratmaster

Sep 25, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Picked up a cheapie Pedal Kit on Amazon just to see how I did with a build before I went for the higher end kits.

Opted for the Optical Compressor because I figured it was a pedal I could use but not quite as complex as the Delay. $21 so if it sucks its not big loss.

I have a lot going on this week so will probably be starting this next week.

upload_2018-5-8_9-31-6.png

Triple Jim likes this.

2. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

Feb 27, 2018
    North Central NC
    Very nice. I'll be watching for your progress, and especially for a performance report.

Chont likes this.

3. Chont

Chont Senior Stratmaster

Sep 25, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    After a closer inspection of the parts, the pots seem to be a bit on the crap side but it is what it is. Other than that, how bad can a bunch of resistors and small components be?

I think its based on the DOD 280 compressor but that's speculation.

there is an LED/LDR in place of an Optocoupler in the bag of parts. Seems like those parts should be covered but i'm new at pedal builds. I may rig something up though.

The white box with the white knobs are going to make this the Albino of my little pedal collection

which reminds me... this guy scared the crap out of me when i was a kid.

upload_2018-5-8_11-53-40.png

4. Triple Jim

Feb 27, 2018
    North Central NC
    Yet this guy inspires us. :)

Johnny-Winter.jpg

StillAlive&Well and Chont like this.

5. Chont

Chont Senior Stratmaster

Sep 25, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    So I've started on this and here's the progress thus far. I'm getting pulled away for tech issues here so good place to stop for now. I do have one question. There's a spot I circled where the two caps have to get a jumper wire between one leg. Is there a trick for getting a jumper wire in the hole with the leg of each cap? or do i leave the jumper wire on the surface of the PCB? I tried to test fit and there's no way to fit both the jumper and the lead from the cap.

any help is greatly appreciated.

upload_2018-5-15_13-47-46.png

6. Triple Jim

Feb 27, 2018
    North Central NC
    I'd put the caps in place and form a jumper wire around the two leads. Solder the jumper to the cap leads near the cap bodies, then push the caps down and solder their leads to the board.

Chont likes this.

7. Chont

Chont Senior Stratmaster

Sep 25, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    thanks.

I had a feeling that was going to be the solution. I think i'm going to have to get emotionally prepared for that. Seems like its going to be very tedious.

8. Triple Jim

Feb 27, 2018
    North Central NC
    It shouldn't be hard, just make sure you have good glasses or a headband type magnifier so you can get up close and see what you're doing.

An alternative would be to solder the two caps in but don't cut the two leads that need to be connected yet, bend the two leads together and trim to length and solder them. Whatever seems easier is fine.

9. Chont

Chont Senior Stratmaster

Sep 25, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Actually that wasn't too bad. I ended up taking a clipped lead and making loops at each end to the correct length and mounted the caps in place with the jumper and carefully soldered the loops onto the cap leads then flipped it and soldered the caps into place. All caps are now mounted so just have a few more components to do before start dealing with pots, switches and jacks but I need to get some work done before I head home so good stopping point. It's nice to be able to sit at my desk at work and do this LOL

upload_2018-5-15_16-9-17.png

10. Chont

Chont Senior Stratmaster

Sep 25, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Getting close.

I didn’t realize I was out of thin heat shrink so have to hold off on getting the pots and jacks onto the board til I get some but otherwise all the components are In place. Ended up using a bit of thicker heat shrink to isolate the LDR/LED. I had made a case that my neighbor printed on his 3D printer but it didn’t fit as well as I wanted. Oh well. Working out the enclosure too. Not sure if or what I’ll do for graphics or a name.

CB98021A-5AF0-4E1C-9812-0C0AFA1A308C.jpeg D8D2D029-7EC6-4C04-9443-A2698B822782.jpeg