Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Nu Tube Screamer - Marketing hype or SRV in a box ?

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by Jamie, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Raiders757

Raiders757 Senior Stratmaster

Sep 2, 2016
    Virginia
    Indeed I do. Quite a few now that I have retired my PT Pro board. Things will go back to normal in the near future though. I am looking for a new amp. Either a head for the 4x12 cab, or a combo to replace my haze 40. Depends on my tax return, as I would also like to get another @Bodean strap.

2. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    I know, I know... I speak heresy.

Jamie likes this.

3. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 24, 2015
    Va. Beach, Va

I was just looking at amps an hour ago. Being the Blackstar fan that I am I really like the new edition Club 40. But for what I want to do I'm thinking maybe a Katana 50 watt. I want to ABY with the Club 40 in my spare room. I have an old Peavey in there but it needs work. I'm guessing that 219 new the Katana might be a better option

Raiders757 likes this.

4. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 24, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Let somebody demonstrate that thang that's gonna crank it and get down on it !

5. Raiders757

Sep 2, 2016
    Virginia
    I'm wanting a tube head for the 4x12 cab to replace the solid state Marshall 3315 150 watt head I have. Sadly everything that catches my attention is priced out of my range.

Now I'm thinking about a Marshall DSL40 combo amp to replace my Haze 40. Sweetwater has a Creamback version I'm interested in. Sadly the DSL line is being discontinued, but that doesn't faze me at all. They're decent enough for my needs.

6. adiabatic

adiabatic Senior Stratmaster

Jul 2, 2013
    Western Canada
    Brian Wampler (as in Wampler pedals) has done some interesting videos recently comparing TS circuits andsound and also discussed the SD-1.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdVrg4Wl3vjIxonABn6RfWw

That said, at the core of the OP ... the Nu Tube interests me in general as a low-gain tube replacement especially the little Vox amps using this.

dueducs likes this.

7. dueducs

dueducs Senior Stratmaster

Now these are A/B opinions I can get behind. Enlightening I think.
    I especially enjoyed this one...

Strat-Slinger, Raiders757 and Jamie like this.

8. Dan_Q

Dan_Q Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 26, 2016
    NW UK
    thanks for sharing the vid, i'll have a proper watch of that soon :)

i can't comment on the TS808 vs TS9 argument as my 808 is an 808 chipped copy, but i do think there is a distinct difference between a TS7 and a TS9.

I'd love to have a go on the new one! although since having the TS9 i really don't GAS for another. Always said I'd try a proper 808 one day too, and never have.............

I find it interesting ready peoples opinions on the different versions :)

9. gibsonsmu

gibsonsmu Senior Stratmaster

Oct 16, 2015
    Texas
    IMG_1431.JPG I have an original 1980 ts 808 - when you look at it if you don't hear SRV instantly something is either wrong with your computer, your phone, or you. So he is clearly in this box. I still think the amp is way more important than the pedal.Even then you can tweak knobs to probably get yourself to the same place either way. Another new way for Ibanez to touch your wallet again! They're good

10. dueducs

dueducs Senior Stratmaster

LOL- except there are several reports that SRV actually used a TS-9 & I have even read TS-10 before
    "A photo from April 1982 shows Stevie using a TS808, but the 1982 band equipment list shows a TS9 (the year of its introduction). I am not aware of any evidence that Stevie went back to the 808 after he got the TS9 in 1982."
    http://www.stevieray.com/TS9.htm

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018

11. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 24, 2015
    Va. Beach, Va

You guys need a good music store over there. I think the GC here has the Marshall you want. I know I've seen them there before but it's been a little while since I've been there

Raiders757 likes this.

12. Raiders757

Sep 2, 2016
    Virginia
    You're not kidding. We having nothing when it comes to decent guitar stores over here. The few we have stock cheap guitars or used gear. Heck, we can't even get a decent used gear outlet like Music Go Round. Some of the pawn shops near me have a better selection, which is very telling. If I want to check out anything worth a damn, I have to head out in your direction, or Richmond.

I might have to head on over to GC and kick the tires on that Marshall if they still have it. Thing is, I want the Cream back Celestion version that is only sold through Sweetwater. Still, checking the regular version out at GC will give me a good idea as to what it sounds like. Think I'll take my pedalboard and my JHS Little Black Amp Box with me to see if it can get the results I'm looking for.

13. Willie D

Willie D Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

[​IMG]

It's another flavor.
    Some folks are going to love it.
    It will be somebody's favorite.
    Some folks won't like it at all.

Always remember that a pedal is just a pedal. It's neither good nor bad on its own. What's good is what works with your guitar, your amp, and your approach to the whole thing.

14. moullineaux

moullineaux Senior Stratmaster

Jul 11, 2009
    ATLANTA, GA
    Willie D, you summed it up nicely. If the old stuff gives you what you need use the old stuff. If the new stuff is your cup of tea enjoy. It all comes down to what tone your chasing.

15. ripgtr

ripgtr Most Honored Senior Member

Feb 16, 2012
    austin
    I used it in basically the same way SRV did, without knowing it. I got one of the soundtank ones. I was playing a boogie MK IV at the time. I set the OD channel with just a bit of dirt so I had clean, a bit of dirt and distortion. I used the TS to bump up the "bit of dirt" channel when I needed a little more gain but not full out distortion. I actually didn't use the full on distortion all that much. For that it worked well. As a straight out OD pedal into an amp? Yuck.

I actually modded it, changed out a bunch of caps, changed the diodes, I experimented with a bunch (I got boxes of different diodes/leds from other projects) and found a set that really worked ok. I used it a bit, then it stopped working, and it went into the "Im gonna fix these someday" box and has sat there 10 years. I got stuff that sounds way better, so it probably will sit in that box for a long time, lol.

fezz parka likes this.

16. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    You bought the wrong pedal. You should have got one of these.

SRV tone pedal.jpg

17. dbolt

dbolt Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 17, 2014
    NC
    808 used as a clean boost in front of a tube amp is very nice noise. My .02.

18. gibsonsmu

gibsonsmu Senior Stratmaster

Oct 16, 2015
    Texas
    Touché sir, that is SRV in a box!

19. amagras

amagras Strat-O-Master

Oct 26, 2016
    Ontario
    To me this discussion ended in the very first post because 'better' is a very relative term. The reason I would buy a TS is to have that classic TS tone, if the new one sounds 'better' that's not a TS I would want, it might sound good and I might want to have it but not to replace my TS.

20. fezz parka

fezz parka Off.... Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    Undisclosed.
    It's good to see my work still being used. I made that in PS years ago. :)

Electgumbo, amagras and Jamie like this.