Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

OD for Vox AC15C1....

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by The-Kid, May 15, 2018.

1. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    i have my options to three.

way huge saucy box.

fulltone OCD.

Mxr Custom Badass Modified Od with the 100hz knob. TS clone.

im leaning towards the OCD and Mxr Modified OD but the Saucy Box is legit too.

am going to stack with a TS9.

ocd and ts9 stacked is great but two TS type pedals is pretty glorius too....

kind of hard....

but the saucy box is a nice Klone and pretty transparent.

what say you?

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Stratmaster

Dec 4, 2009
    POWDERVILLE, UTAH
    there are 3 ways to get to where you want to go....
    and all 3 have their own thing going on.

nobody can tell you which thing,
    is your thing.

try all 3,
    then decide.

some great classic rock has been made by overdriving that particular circuit,
    any one of those would work great!
    and none of those is on your list.

The-Kid likes this.

3. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    what do you mean...

what should I try?
    what 3?

4. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Strat-O-Master

Jun 15, 2007
    CHARLOTTE, NC
    Just play around with the Vox for a half hour. There should be abundant overdrive onboard.

ChaplainMike, Vjerilood and The-Kid like this.

5. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    trust its not that....

i already have two drives....

and by itself its nowhere near the gain I want.

i have plenty of gain with the TS and FF but just looking for a other flavor to put on it.

something nice to stack with the Ac15s tone stack and the other pedals as well.

but yeah the Ac15 has plenty of gain but it helps to have something push it harder.

6. guitarface

guitarface Senior Stratmaster

Nov 11, 2012
    New York
    This might be on point.

The-Kid likes this.

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Stratmaster

Dec 4, 2009
    POWDERVILLE, UTAH
    the 3 you listed, you should try all 3.
    only way to know,

now, as far as the classic rock sound,
    i was thinking more along the lines of a classic treble booster..
    like a rangemaster.

modern versions:
    Catalinbread Naga Viper
    Analogman Beano Boost

but so many good flavors for AC's out there,
    T.Jauernig Luxury Drive, Xotic BB Preamp, King Of Tone,
    i've used a Barber Direct Drive (sort of a super tube screamer) and it sounded great.

a lot depends on which speaker you have with the amp (greenback or blue)

i think the ocd will be too much gain, too blurry....
    but you never know, everybody sets their gains different, it all plays into the sonics, your choices......

some like a good Rat pedal!

but for stacking, i'd say go with a cleaner boost, and then whatever flavor of grind you want.

The-Kid likes this.

8. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    i like to set up the OcD as a clean boost but in this sense the Saucy Box is ganna be better and more transparent for that.

i fell the ocd can get to compressed with an AC15 or small amps.

your right on point.

maybe I do need to try a treble booster?

ganna prob go with the Way Huge Saucy Box or MXR Sugar Drive.....

9. TSims1

TSims1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Wanna save some $ and get a drive that will do virtually anything while stacking REALLY well?

EH Crayon.

10. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    based on videos Im really diging the Way Huge Saucy Box.

I always though it was based of the Klon but its a striped down more super transparent version of the Pork Loin.......

Tried one out with the AC15 today as well at my local GC and am probably going to get one new on Friday instead of getting a delay. Way more transparent than any drive Ive tried, Timmy, OCD, moded TS pedals etc etc.....

Its so clean. I set it up for a "No boost" boost, like a buffer and it was damn quite, no alteration to tone, and when you raise the drive it injects more juice and gain without changing the charecter, just a preamp shaper, perfect pedal in almost every application.

Hats off to George Tripps, a unique circuit, really delivers, not stupid boqtiq price, but you the the bowtiq quality and sound, no cutting corners on this unit as its mostly throughhole production.

Really nice and offers way more for the money than one would expect for the price, definately as good or better than EQD, LovePedal, Fulltone, Zvex etc etc.

Im kind of a no frills guy and need my drive in order before I get into any time based effects.

Thanks guys, looks like im getting the Saucy Box.

Last edited: May 16, 2018

11. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Senior Stratmaster

@The-Kid I just went through this same exact quest for my new AC15C1. I ended up going with the Crowther Hot Cake, and I really like what I am getting in the results category.

I found this article to be helpful, not only in describing the pedals and amp, but also on setting up the pedal to the amp. https://reverb.com/news/five-overdrives-for-your-top-boost-vox

jimyjazz and The-Kid like this.

12. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Id be down but that pedal isnt made anymore and Im not really prepared to not play before I buy. I imagine its great but having tried the Saucy Box I really cant imagine a better pedal to pair with an AC15C1 other than its bigger brother the Pork Loin.

Its just that good.

Have you tried one with an AC15 yet?

Thanks CEasy. Would if it was still in production though.

13. gonzo

gonzo Senior Stratmaster

Dec 4, 2009
    POWDERVILLE, UTAH
    The-Kid likes this.

14. Vjerilood

Vjerilood Senior Stratmaster

Jul 30, 2017
    USA
    The Joyo Extreme Metal pedal sounds pretty extreme but not muddy.

The-Kid likes this.

15. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    I hear so many good things about these.....

Damn.

Just when I had my eyes set on the Saucy Box.

16. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Kind of second guessing the Saucy Box, its good but I feel I already like my base tone in OD and Dirt but just want something to add on top of it to give it more juice without changing the main tone. Adding gain, tightening things up but not changing my base tone.

While I know the Saucy Box is great for this I cant help but think that a simple thing like an MXR Micro amp or CAE Boost Line Driver would serve be better.

Maybe a super hard on by zvex or the 2b by Fulltone.

Just something simple you know.....

17. heltershelton

heltershelton ASKED TO LEAVE THE STAGE Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    im thinking about the timmy for some reason.

The-Kid likes this.

18. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    edit

Last edited: May 18, 2018

19. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    After trying an SD1, OCD, Sugar Drive, Tummnus and a Saucy Box I setled it and am going to get a Sugar Drive.

Aside from being super transparent something I finally know trully is....its also super organic.

The OCD while better than the Usual suspects just blanketed the tone to much and was not all that transparent.

The SD1. Same deal.....though some pretty great tones can be had....had I not already had a TS I may consider it for that juicy no frills OD.

The Tummnus while great and hard to make it not sound good was not as transparent as I was hoping....it some upper lower mids....not like a TS mid hump but ever so slight....pretty nice to fatten the tone up.....but for those nuffer unity gain setting I could feel it adding its Flavor

The Sugar Drive.

Remarkable piece of gear....at 9-10 oclock on Volume, Drive 0 and treble at 12 oclock its a super organic/transparent Boost....

Its really a clean Boost on the volume....the Drive just adds gain without changing charecter.....its like water....it just takes the shape of whatever cup you put it....very flexible...very intuative....very sensitive to you amp without chaning the base tone whatsoever....

Its pretty amazing.....

Ive been out of the Klone loop.....I just never believed a pedal could be so transparent.....

Its also got a little switch on the side to go from Buffer to True Bypass.....

Um.....

Yes.

Mxr and George Tripps, my hats of to them and the team.

I havent gotten it yet but will sometime this week.

I really feel this is a mega winner and having tried other Klones the Tummnus the Soul food etc I never felt any lived up to the hype having never played an original but this one....this one is damn perfect....I dont know if its a perfect replica or if its a good representation of Klon....

All I know is its good....and I like it.....Really made me rethink the way I drive should work and what it should do for my amp.

Lovely.

If you havent tried one....you owe yourself the need to.

The Saucy Boxi was great but I felt the Sugar Drive did much the same in a smaller enclosure.

If you want a throughole traditional made pedal Saucy Box.....if you just want the Saucy Box in Smaller Enclosure Sugar Drive.

Both are great.

20. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    I dug the Sugar Drive for the two days I owned it. Returned it for a JRad Archer which I felt hit the klon vibe a bit better. Also the light for the buffer meant I had to unplug my power supply or it glowed all night on my board.

The-Kid likes this.