Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Oiling unfinished neck?

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by guitardude24680, Jun 5, 2009.

1. guitardude24680

guitardude24680 Former Member

Can I use lemon furniture oil on for the unfinished neck on my Squier Bullet?
    Thanks for the help.

2. Strat-Man-Do

Strat-Man-Do Senior Stratmaster

Thats used, but more so for fretboards like Rosewood. The neck should be done with a Tung Oil in Satin or Gloss whichever you prefer and then rubbed on with a lint free cloth. Sanded between the coats and with 2-4 coats.

3. dhb2000usa

dhb2000usa Senior Stratmaster

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Iagent

Iagent Strat-Talker

I didn't see what type of wood you have, but if it's rosewood, don't use Tru-oil, or Tung-oil as it may never dry. Just leav it naked and use lemon oil.

Now if it's Maple, you need to know whether the look should be aged vintage, or a whiter maple. If you want an older look, Wipe on poly would be my first choice folowed by Tru-oil, and then finally Tung oil. If you want it to stay light, I would recommend Lacquer, or Water based poly.

Hope this helps, as I have worked a lot with woods of many sorts.

6. Bundini

Bundini Former Member

Now if it's Maple, you need to know whether the look should be aged vintage, or a whiter maple. If you want an older look, Wipe on poly would be my first choice folowed by Tru-oil, and then finally Tung oil.

Never heard of that method before, got any pics? Today I just finished a maple neck using Stew Mack amber (very yellow) warmed up with some reranch butterscotch (very orange) and then Minwax wipe-on poly.

7. dman

dman Strat-O-Master

Guitardude, are you refering to the fretboard or the maple neck itself? I could be wrong (and many times am...ask my wife!) but I was under the impression the Bullet necks were finished in a satin poly. I don't think any kind of oil finish will work well on a poly or laquer finished neck.

8. guitardude24680

guitardude24680 Former Member

Dman, I think the bullet necks are unfinished, but maybe i'm wrong.

Okay, now maybe I'm really confused. I thought you could oil a neck, but not finish it. Is that the same thing? I just got the idea because my dad "oiled" the dining room table and it looked really good, so I thought "let's do it on the guitar"...

Thanks for the help.

9. kurdt

kurdt Banned

if you use furniture polish on a rosewood board, it can crack the wood

10. Bundini

Bundini Former Member

DO NOT put wipe on poly over your tinted coats with a brush. Wipe it on lightly with a cloth per manf. instructions.