Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

OK now I'm in a bind. Gotta choose between a Squier CV 50s or Fender MIM by the weekend.

Discussion in 'Telecaster/Esquire Forum' started by Burstbucker, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Burstbucker

Burstbucker Strat-Talk Member

Feb 7, 2018
    Moncton. NB. Canada
    I posted something on here earlier today about buying a used Squier Classic Vibe 50s in butterscotch, it's going at a very reasonable price, so I'm supposed to go and pick it up either Friday or sometime over the weekend, whenever the seller is back in town.

But over the course of a couple weeks I had also been looking at a used Fender MIM Telecaster (looks like a Standard) and is selling for $100.00 Canadian ($80.00 USD) more than this Squier CV. This guitar has a black body and white pickguard. Not sure about the year or how big the neck is or what kind of pickups are in it.......

I contacted the guy with the MIM Telecaster a few days ago and he said that he pulled his ad because of low-ballers and I then offered him the amount that he wanted for it, he didn't get back to me until tonight, I had given up on him. He is still up for selling it but will only be back home on Saturday.

Now I have to choose which guitar to go with, I'm at a bit of a loss as to which one to go with. Talk about first world problems! LOL

What do you guys think?

It's kind of like I asked two girls out to the prom and they both excepted.:p

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018

2. railroadman

railroadman Senior Stratmaster

Feb 24, 2012
    N.J.
    The Squier's got a pine body (pretty cool, IMO), a 3 saddle bridge (like a REAL Tele, IMO), and a set of Tonerider alnico pickups.

I think you can prob'ly guess which way I would jump...

Yaralag and nuculer terrist like this.

3. railroadman

Feb 24, 2012
    N.J.
    (posted twice- removed)

4. nuculer terrist

nuculer terrist Senior Stratmaster

Mar 12, 2014
    center of the mind
    If the mim is just stock, id go with the cv

KiwiStratFan likes this.

5. KiwiStratFan

KiwiStratFan Strat-Talk Member

Apr 19, 2015
    New Zealand
    I guess the obvious question for me is is whether you're a Strat or Tele fan? I personally prefer Strats, (although I wouldn't say no to a Tele at the right price!). I've got a Squier Classic Vibe 60's, and have been well impressed with the build quality. Absolutely wonderful neck on it, plays great - my second favourite only to my Clapton signature Strat. I can't comment on the factory pickups for the Classic Vibes, as I was lucky when I bought mine, as the seller had installed a set of Fender 57/62's, although I've heard the pickups in the Classic Vibes are possibly Tonerider pickups - this from another post on these forums:

"I sent an email to Tonerider, and Andrew stated for legal reasons (wink wink) he cannot confirm that his pickups are in the CVs. He did say that if I wanted to get the CV 50s Strat tone, I would be VERY VERY satisfied with the Surfaris."

Having said that, if you're a Tele fan, or have always wanted to add a Tele to your Fender family, and it's a good deal, I guess I'd be tempted that way too...

The other option of course...is to get both... ;)

Ah decisions decisions, either way, at least you'll have a new guitar one way or the other! :)

6. Burstbucker

Feb 7, 2018
    Moncton. NB. Canada
    Hey guys, I really appreciate your opinions on this question.

The seller of the MIM didn't mention anything about mods or upgrades, so it's a safe bet that it's bone stock.

I'm a fan of almost anything by Fender, whether it be Fender USA, MIM or Squier. I love Strats and Teles equally as much. I do have a '79 Strat but it's not worth much due to the previous owner's "mods" but that's alright, it plays and sounds great and I've had it since the early 80s, so I dig it. I have no other Fender's though.

I will admit that I wouldn't mind having another guitar carrying the "Fender" logo but if that guitar isn't quite as good as the Squier Classic Vibe, I can get past the logo on the headstock.

I am just interested in what you guys might do if you were in my place right now. Go with my original plan and get the Squier or shift gears and choose the Fender MIM.

Thanks for chiming in!:cool:

7. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Senior Stratmaster

Jul 18, 2017
    The Heartland
    It's like dinner at my favorite local restaurant: a steak would hit the spot, but this place is known for thick, juicy pork chops. I can't really go wrong either way. Neither can you.

For me, working with an easy seller is a definite plus. It sounds like the MIM guy is a little quirky -- he pulled his ad, he didn't reply for a while, he has limited availability.... Given only that info, I'd go with the CV.

Another consideration (way down on the list) is resale value. In the event you want to or need to sell it, will you at least break even?

8. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    Fender every time.

9. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2015
    Mukilteo
    Whichever one feels good in your hands.

10. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    Both are similar quality but they are totally different guitars. Do you want a Tele or a Strat? That's what it comes down to.

Edit: Just read your OP. Are these both Teles or a MIM Tele and CV Strat? Regardless, there's always better value in a like new but used guitar than there is in a new guitar.

11. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama

12. Burstbucker

Feb 7, 2018
    Moncton. NB. Canada
    Yes, these are both Telecasters that I'm looking at.

My basic instinct is to just go for the Squier CV Telecaster since I don't plan on selling whichever Telecaster that I end up with. And at these prices, I would easily break even on either guitar and would surely make a bit of profit if not in a hurry to sell.

I do know that the Squier CV 50s Tele is in mint condition, a gift to a child that had zero interest in it, so dad is selling it. The MIM Telecaster is a bit murky, there was just one picture of it and it wasn't a very good one at that, and the seller gave no details about its condition.

I do agree that I can't go wrong with either guitar at those prices, assuming that they are both in great condition.

At this moment, I think I'll stick with my original plan and get the Classic Vibe, I just love the vintage look despite the smallish neck. My buddy has a super pricey Fender AV '52 Telecaster and she's a beaut but insanely expensive here in Canada, $3100.00 CDN out the door. Yikes!!!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018

13. slowesthand

slowesthand Senior Stratmaster

Oct 23, 2011
    NY
    I like MIM Standards better than CV Squiers , so I would go with that.

altar likes this.

14. gilmourstrat

gilmourstrat Senior Stratmaster

Oct 16, 2012
    Europe
    The Fender logo would get you a better resale value in the future but I did try a CV 50's on a store once and it was a KILLER tele. Much better than the the shop's MIM Tele. But I mean MUCH BETTER.

Tele56 likes this.

15. IronSchef

IronSchef Senior Stratmaster

May 17, 2012
    Flew Here On My Dragonfly
    so, the GOOD news is you really can't make a bad decision here - they are both great guitars!!

CV50s tele is going to be heavy, FYI (mine is over 10 lbs)

16. railroadman

Feb 24, 2012
    N.J.
    Even if I was on the fence between the two, this would carry a lot of weight for me.

As @Nadnitram pointed out above: the MIM seller looks like he might be a little difficult to deal with.

You've also already stated that you don't know the year of the MIM.

Also, no details about condition? Is it a beat up early 90s? Or a mint-ish 2012? Two completely different animals, deal-wise.

For the record, I own several MIM Teles (although: no Standards) as well as a coupla Squier CVs, including a Tele Custom. I'd go for the Squier in this deal, all day long...

Burstbucker likes this.

17. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Senior Stratmaster

Jul 21, 2015
    USA
    I would probably get the classic vibe, they are awesome guitars. Able to outplay the MIM standard every time, to my hands ean ears anyway

Burstbucker likes this.

18. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Like any other guitar, it varies. I've seen many CV's under 8 lbs. Your CV is on the extreme end of the scale.

stratman323 likes this.

19. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Strat-Talker

Apr 3, 2012
    Northern California
    I own both. I love both. Having said that, I did swap out the (ceramic) pickups on the MIM for some Toneriders. I also swapped out the six saddle bridge for a compensated brass saddle ashtray bridge. The guitar's tone was markedly better afterwords.

Based on that, I'd think the CV was a better deal, because it already contains the elements that I personally consider essential to good Tele tone. So I'd advise the CV. It's ready to rock out the door.

Burstbucker and nuculer terrist like this.