Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Ok whats the Mod you regret doing to an oldie?

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by Fretmeltkid, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Fretmeltkid

Fretmeltkid Strat-Talker

Feb 10, 2018
    United Kingdom
    It's New Years day so time to reflect on the past a little
    I'm struggling to think of my worst regret guitar wise
    maybe fitting a Kahler trem to a pretty mint 57 Strat back in the 80s is up there but the more I think the more I recall worse mods still!!!!

Anyone else have a "seemed a great idea at the time" moment with an original Pre CBS Strat??

Yaralag likes this.
  2. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    A long time ago I got hold of a well-butchered early 60s Fender Musicmaster, which I butchered still further to remove the humbucker & replace it with two Mustang single coils. I didn't like it much before the work & I didn't like it much more after the work! That's when I realised I wanted a proper Strat, not some "budget line" short scale Fender.

It's not that I regret the further butchering of an old guitar, it's simply that the money I paid someone to do all this work was money I never got back when I traded the guitar for something else a year or two later. So I suppose I learned a valuable lesson from the money I lost then - & I haven't repeated those mistakes since. I also haven't wasted any more time & money on short scale Fenders, which I don't like at all.

I did get one short scale Fender many years later when I found a 1966 Jaguar at a reasonable price. I kept it for a few years but rarely played it. But when I sold this guitar, I made a couple of hundred £s profit on the deal. So I suppose I have learned some stuff over the years...

3. Mipstoo

Mipstoo Senior Stratmaster

Mar 18, 2013
    Rockingham Palace
    I fitted a Kahler System on a ‘59 Les Paul Standard. And then I woke up...

Yaralag, rafasounds and Bazz Jass like this.
  4. Fretmeltkid

Fretmeltkid Strat-Talker

Feb 10, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Another mistake!!
    Needed a pair of Black and Gold guitars for a particular show ages back and did this to a 77 Telecaster and an already butchered early 70s Strat
    5.jpg

5. nigelr

nigelr Strat-O-Master

Aug 28, 2014
    Switzerland
    Back in the late 80s I scalloped the necks of all my strats including a Fenix, Fernandes, MIJ reissue and my US 79 hardtail.
    I blame Blackmore and Malmsteen.....

CephasG and AngelDeVille like this.
  6. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

that looks...

hideous.
    between this and the kahler on the 57 ...
    you should be in prison sir.
    but in a good way o_O

eta:
    my worst modification was installing EMG's on a 70's hardtail...which i promptly remedied. fortunately i did not carve out a battery box.

7. Michelotti

Michelotti Strat-Talker

Aug 29, 2015
    England
    Soon after becoming the proud new owner of a (second-hand ‘63) Strat, I was horrified to read that its celluloid guard was ‘dangerously inflammable’.
    So I replaced it with a repro guard. And, after all these years, I still haven’t seen a pre-CBS Strat spontaneously burst into flames...

gusgorman, sikoniko and Mipstoo like this.
  8. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 19, 2014
    Up a lazy river
    A myth perpetuated by Jimi Hendrix, and celebrated in his song: Let me stand next to your fire....

gusgorman and rafasounds like this.
  9. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 19, 2014
    Up a lazy river
    It be like: "Thank God! It was just a dream...I didn't actually fit the Kahler Sytem!!!"

Followed immediately by: "Oh damn! It was just a dream....I don't actually own a '59 standard."

:p

T Guitar Floyd likes this.
  10. ripgtr

ripgtr Most Honored Senior Member

Feb 16, 2012
    austin
    Nothing terrible.
    Well, when I got my strat (in '76) it was just a used beat up guitar. Guy at the store says oh you need to upgrade those tuners, put shallers on it. Pretty common back then, my '60 330 has Grovers on it. Had it doweled and redrilled from vintage style sometime in the 80s.

Pulled the wires out and replaced them with shielded wire, back in the early 80s, to try to get the noise under control. I put it back to (modern) cloth wire a few years back.

Put a Gotoh trem on because it had a lock thing behind the nut. No routing, though. Put it back stock years (decades) ago, but the holes are still in the headstock.

Put in a boost that required a battery so, changed out the 1/4 jack to stereo one. Original one is long gone.

The rest was just maintenance, replacing stuff as it wore out.

I played with a guy in the 70s, he had a tele (probably late '60s one) with PAFs on it. So, two guitars tore apart, lol. He still has it last I heard a few years back.

rafasounds likes this.
  11. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    not me or mine, but my garage band bud who had a 100% original 50's tele he received from his uncle/father/grandfather - i do not remember it was 1986 - but he painted it with cheap spray can flat black twice that i know of. he could draw and paint art with a brush extremely well but was a horrible spray can painter.

mad axe man and Mipstoo like this.
  12. Fatmaninthebath

Fatmaninthebath Strat-Talker

Sep 27, 2014
    Central IL
    I Grovered a 76 Les Paul Deluxe.

13. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    Floyd Rose trem bridges were just getting real popular in 1982 when the first AVRIs were released.
    I was working in the service shop of a major Fender and Kramer (Floyd Rose) dealership.
    I had a Craftsman router handy.
    You do the math. :eek:

Mipstoo likes this.
  14. WireLine

WireLine Strat-Talker

Apr 20, 2014
    Midland TX
    I’ve seen this on a 58...live and in person. I nearly wept

Mipstoo likes this.
  15. Believer7713

Believer7713 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    On my Jackson Dinky I decided that I wanted to mount a Jackson JT-6 Floyd type bridge. But they were meant to be top mounted bridges and it was before I learned about shimming the neck so the strings were about 3/8" off the frets. So I routed the body with a Rotozip to recess the bridge.
    1546412693018.jpg
    It worked but the block stuck out the back. Then I was on a mission... I made a new block out of solid copper and made it all fit.
    1546412759004.jpg
    Installed a st of EMG pickups with an 81TW which was a lot thicker than a normal 81and I accidentally routed through the body into the spring cavity... at this point I didn't care anymore.
    1546412784577.jpg
    In the end it worked out because I took the 81TW out and replaced it with an 89 which gave me room for the Shadow humbucker ring tuner. (You can see the module in the previous pic)
    1546412911362.jpg
    Looking back at it a can't understand what I was thinking but it is still one of my favorite guitars now.
    1546413066395.jpg

rafasounds likes this.
  16. Mipstoo

Mipstoo Senior Stratmaster

Mar 18, 2013
    Rockingham Palace
    Must have been me. But don’t blame me, I was sleeping ;)

T Guitar Floyd and Believer7713 like this.
  17. RussV

RussV Senior Stratmaster

Dec 8, 2008
    UK
    I sliced off the end of the back plate on my 1962 to make string changing easier. Not a big deal but in retrospect....

18. hornpiper

hornpiper Senior Stratmaster

Apr 23, 2014
    Portland, OR
    I'm glad nobody has my address. In the early 70's I bought a beautiful, stock, pristine, like new '61 Tele with case. Custom color, very, very rare for a Tele then, Fiesta Red. Not too long thereafter, in a clearly moronic move, I routed out the body, enlarged the pickguard hole, and installed a new humbucker in the neck position. Worse yet, it was one of those early 70's humbuckers with "Gibson" clearly embossed on the cover. I also eventually ended up not liking the sound better, wishing the original pickup was back in. Traded the Tele for something else. The lights appeared on upstairs, but I wasn't always home back then, if you know what I mean...

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    The Strat Dude likes this.
  19. Yaralag

Yaralag Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 28, 2014
    Cypress, TX
    Daaaaaaaaang!!! That must still keep you up at night! Lol

20. Yaralag

Yaralag Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 28, 2014
    Cypress, TX
    In the early 90’s I thought my gorgeous 68 P Bass would sound better with active pickups. Years later when I realized my mistake the pickups were long gone. Thrown in the trash or something.