Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Ok whats the Mod you regret doing to an oldie?

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by Fretmeltkid, Jan 1, 2019.

1. picapoyo

picapoyo Strat-Talk Member

Oct 2, 2016
    South Africa
    Wow, Embossed Gibson logo humbacker on Tele? It's just Lennon's black telecaster! Cool!

2. Zeekrider

Zeekrider Strat-Talker

Jul 14, 2016
    Scottsdale
    I bought this blonde hard tail in 1976 when I was teaching guitar in a music store. First thing I did was replace the tuners with Shallers and install an Alembic Stratoblaster battery powered preamp.

I've since yanked the preamp, but the Shallers remain.

I kind of wish I had left the tuners original, or at least kept them. Oh well. Everything else is original and the guitar is still great after all these years! I don't keep it for resale value; I keep it because it's my connection to my musical beginnings. And it's actually a damn fine, nicely made Strat.

[​IMG]

3. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 19, 2014
    Up a lazy river
    Okay, so not such an oldie (but 30 years-ish!).

Clapton strat. Red. Original release with the lace sensors.

I'd been using Fast Frets on the strings, and being a maple board it seeped under the finish and stained the wood. Yuck, 19 year old me thought!

So I thought - I'll get a bound ebony board retrofitted. At great expense I may add. And the "luthier" had never done that, and was keen to try.

Let me say he went to extreme lengths to make this work. Got the ebony board while visiting another continent. Destroyed the spaghetti logo while "protecting it" with sellotape, and got a replacement from Fender. But when all was said and done....it sucked. Board was too narrow, too thick, all kinds of wrong.

So I spent some more money buying a 62 reissue neck, which I fitted to the Clapton body pretty good. But I thought, I'd really like an ebony board. So got a really good (spelled expensive) luthier to replace the rosewood with ebony. Then thought, I sure wish it was bound. Back to said luthier who said "I wish you'd gone for the binding when we installed the board!!!'"

Anyway, about $4000 invested in the guitar to date, I sold it to a friend at church for $1000.

About 10 years later it got stolen....

Insurance bought him a new Clapton Strat. With maple board.

:confused:

stratman323 likes this.
  4. Jonny Hotnuts

Jonny Hotnuts Senior Stratmaster

Nov 7, 2013
    Portland
    Some may not say the 80s qualify as an oldie but.....

When working at PV guitar R&D back in the 90s I took one of the original Vandenberg protos (with the Kahler 2710 trems) that was in storage and modded it by installing a Schaller Floyd.

I have never forgiven myself for ruining a rare version of a rare guitar.....

~JH

Mipstoo likes this.
  5. spellcaster

spellcaster Strat-Talker

May 12, 2008
    Canada
    Modding my 63 Gibson EB3 by routing in a pair of Precision pickups and adding a Badass Type I bridge comes to mind.

6. Believer7713

Believer7713 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    I mounted a Kahler on my 84 MIA Jazz Bass...But I don't regret that.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Mipstoo likes this.
  7. Mipstoo

Mipstoo Senior Stratmaster

Mar 18, 2013
    Rockingham Palace
    And you had it signed by your friends? ;)

8. Believer7713

Believer7713 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    Only so it would look like it was autographed by the TSO west band from 2006.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk