Join Strat-Talk Today

Old Hobbit hands!

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Mysticguitar, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Mysticguitar

Mysticguitar Strat-Talker

I'm looking for a new guitar, I have posted before about my old and Hobbit like hands. Looking for moderately thick neck, because my thumb hurts on modern c necks and a narrow neck...the 50 Baja tele has a 1.62 inch width at nut and soft v shape, no place to try it on this island....would a soft v be to thick? The classic series 60 tele has a standard C profile but 1.65 inch width....I wonder if that would work better? I know you will tell me to play those guitars to find out but there are none so please humor me, thanks

2. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

I love fatter necks. My EJ Strat has a Soft V that is fairly big, my AO 50's Tele has a real fat U shape and my AO 60's Tele has a decently fat C (much better than the modern C) and I love all three. I have smaller hands (men medium golf glove) but not tiny and I can get along with all three just fine.

Andrew Wasson and Namelyguitar like this.
  3. Mysticguitar

I play with thumb behind the neck, would that work with soft v? I have a Les Paul I like, is there any comparison in terms of thickness with soft v?

4. Wrighty

Wrighty Senior Stratmaster

American Pro? Not sure if the dims. but feels chunky for a Fender to me, at least compared to my MIM, MIA and Squier.

5. jaybones

jaybones Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Hobbit hands?

Never heard of that one. Going to steal it.

I have Hobbit feet- big (for my height) and hairy on the top. Beard starts at my big toe.

My hands are thick- big meaty paws but short stubby fingers.

I prefer the classic C on my '76 hardtail natural (first electric), and judge all others by that.

SAguitar likes this.
  6. radd

radd Strat-O-Master

Soft V is different, very pleasant to hold. My EC strat is a soft V but still thin, EJ strats I have played are thicker.

No problem with the thumb behind with a soft V

You should stop in your local guitar shop and try some soft V’s.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    Stratoskater and 3bolt79 like this.
  7. Mysticguitar

That sounds like good news, thumb behind neck, your getting my hopes up, there is a strat with v neck I will try, thanks.

Stratoskater likes this.
  8. Mysticguitar

Thanks Wrighty..the pro has a thicker neck as you move up the fret board, but it's to wide, 1.68 inch.

9. Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

10. Mysticguitar

Tone Deaf likes this.
  11. Tone Deaf

12. Tone Deaf

I am hopeful that the Strat history experts here will answer you - some of those that have replied previously really know far more about Strat evolution than I do.

13. Mysticguitar

14. Mysticguitar

I hear only the eternal silence of the universe.

15. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

I like the soft V on my Eric Johnson Strat. It’s the only V I’ve ever played. I’ve got hobbity hands I suppose. Kind of a large hand but not in the finger length. The Eric Johnson Strat neck is a handful because it’s got a 12” radius but it doesn’t feel as big as the neck on my Classic Player 60’s which is also a 12” radius. I think that soft V is the nicest feeling neck I’ve ever held on a Strat.

I used to be a thumb behind the neck guy for about 30 years. That was the way I was taught but sometime over the last 10 years I’ve changed my technique where it really depends on the chord or notes I’m playing. A lot of the time I’ll be in the traditional position but as necessary, I’ll shift my thumb right over to fret a bass note or even mute the low e string. Ironically, I think the break from tradition is better for my hands too. All of my fingers and thumbs are double jointed and as a result I think they lack structural integrity. My fretting hand thumb used to get really sore but not it’s not nearly as bad as it used to be.

16. Yves

Yves Most Honored Senior Member

Have you tried a Stevie Ray Vaughan Fender Strat neck?

A thick "Oval" Shape- 21 Dunlop 6105 Narrow Jumbo Frets- 12" Radius (305 mm)- 25.5" (648 mm) Scale Length- 1.650" (42 mm) Width at Nut.

17. Red Bread

Red Bread Strat-Talker

I have same issues
    My favorite neck is my 2000 USA Teley,,9.5 radius soft V
    Personally i think the V Lets me move around the neck at a slightly different angle then a rounder neck and helps my thumb pain
    Also going to 9 gauge strings and practicing proper technique helped alot
    Being lazy and letting bad habits go for years add alot to my thumb and wrist issues
    So forcing myself to keep my hand in the middle of the board,,upright,,and not reaching or streching at a bad angle to get to strings helps alot
    Little things like learning to use my pinky on chords where id use my ring finger etc made big difference

MrNeutron and Andrew Wasson like this.
  18. Mysticguitar

Thanks Andrew, helpful post, you're another person that plays soft v with thumb behind neck.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  19. Mysticguitar

No I haven't, I wish my guitar store carried them. The last guitar I bought was from Sweetwater, I told them since I never played the guitar I might return it, I did return it, they were pissed, thettsaid I can't shopsfor guitars like that. My point is Bounty music, the music store here, has small selection of guitars and I have had to buy online just to feel what the guitar was like, only to return it. The SRV width is 1.65, I'm looking for 1.62.

20. Mysticguitar

Thanks Red Bread, does the neck width make any difference for you?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.