Join Strat-Talk Today

Old Man vs phone rant

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Stratoman10, May 18, 2019.

1. RaySachs

RaySachs Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Hasn’t been that long for me, but it’s 12-15 - somewhere in there. I wouldn’t know what to do if I still had to actually DIAL numbers again, even with a touch-tone. Let alone rotary, and I remember rotary phones real well from my youth... And longer and longer cords for the handset...

2. RaySachs

RaySachs Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

16 year old teenage girls probably talk on theirs less than you do - they text constantly,but rarely actually talk on them anymore. One of my 30+ year old daughters is like that.

I don’t have a rant about any of it - my phone is my nerve center. I don’t talk on it anymore than I ever did, which was never all that much. But I love having all of my music, books, and live information available at almost any time and anyplace on a device that fits in my pocket. And can even watch video on it on occasion. As a kid, I had a rotary phone and a record player and when I was in my early 40s I carried a cell phone, a “palm pilot” organizer, and an MP3 player, each larger than the smart phone I carry now, and was grateful for all of em. But I dreamed of the day they’d all be combined into one smaller device that was effectively always online. And we’ve had them all on one device for over ten years now and I’d hate to have to go back to the bad old days...

I used to load up a suitcase with books and cassette tapes (later CDs) to take on vacation. Now I take my phone and a Kindle for reading. I love this stuff... To quote Carly Simon, these are the good old days. And BTW, I’m only as available and “on-call” as I want to be - I’m never a slave to my devices - they work for me. But I am dependent on them and grateful to have em...

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    Stratoman10 and s5tuart like this.
  3. dueducs

dueducs Senior Stratmaster

I second this. There is a light sensor on most smart phones that adjust to the lighting, so if the phone was in your pocket it would be auto-set to very low light. Simply turn that feature off and your problem should be (kind of) solved- but you'll need t manually adjust lighting at night or in bright sun.

4. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy not what you think Strat-Talk Supporter

PC for internet (I don't need/want it outside the house). Landline because it's there.
    Flip phone for mobile calling (ordering takeout and calling home while I'm out
    driving, not on the internet). DSLR for photography. Will consider smart phone
    if needed (may also then need to adopt 10-year old Vietnamese kid for assistance).

5. guitartwonk

guitartwonk Strat-O-Master

Wow, one heck of a rant.

What you say about the glass makes sense. I got a Razer phone because it's got great sound quality, being a gaming phone. I padded the bejezus out of it with a silicon case and tempered glass screen protector. So far no major dents or cracks. All good. It's practical. It works for me.

Our oldest son got a Samsung S8(?) and with all that glass all round it's actually beautiful, a work of art. But, you guessed it, less than 2 days after getting it, it has an array of cracks all over the screen, round the sides and across the back.

What's the point of a device you can take anywhere and use for anything if it breaks as soon as you look at it funny?

Incidentally, if you want (need?) A rugged phone, I think Caterpillar make them. They're covered in chunky black rubber of some sort and have extra tough glass maybe you need one of those?

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

6. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Pretty impressive. I liked the 5 too. T picked up a Fre Lifeproof case for this one. So far, so good

7. Stratoman10

I have auto turned off

dueducs likes this.
  8. Grux

Grux Strat-O-Master

Yup, peak performance and usable features way before iphone gets them.

9. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Just because I have a phone in my pocket everywhere I go, it does not mean that I want you to call me, or that I will ever want to call you. That's not what it's for.

Clear?

Textele and Stratoman10 like this.
  10. Biddlin

Biddlin Senior Stratmaster

What's to argue. At 65-1 the fix was in. (I should add I've made and lost a small fortune on the ponies. I quit betting and mostly watching about 15 years ago when I realized what damage gambling causes the horses, the jocks and the small owners.)

11. Supernut

Supernut Strat-Talker

I feel totally the opposite. I hate the devices. I have no problem learning it, just no desire. I was at a stoplight the other day. There were about a dozen whitetail deer about 100 feet off the road and, out of 6 cars at the light I was the only one who noticed them. Everyone else was on their device.

12. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Oh Good

13. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Senior Stratmaster

Well.. after a mate of mine, ex navy weapons/radar boffin, told me to keep my phone out of my trouser pocket if I didn't want to fry my nuts.. I hardly ever keep it on my person, and that's only an old 3g Blackberry. Always use speaker phone now too, I never put it to my ear. Turn it off at night too..

I probably wouldn't have given it a second thought if I hadn't been told about the dangers by someone who was an expert in the field. I fear in years to come, just like asbestos in its day, wireless microwave tech is going to score a lot of victims. French schools are banning wi-fi in the classrooms now apparently..

I'm not trying to be a nanny.. just passing on info told to me by someone I respect, and who really knows his stuff..

14. Stratoman10

Mine is usually clipped to my dash, in a toolbox or on a table. It doesn't go in my pocket for long

Will Lefeurve likes this.
  15. gusgorman

gusgorman Strat-Talk Member

Nokia 6300 FTW!!

16. Will Lefeurve

That's good thinking, and the right way to go I think. I'm always reminding my daughters, who both have young children to be aware of micro-waves they cannot see.

17. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

My grandad used to unplug the freezer before he went to bed, in case it caused a fire. :confused:

Will Lefeurve likes this.
  18. Will Lefeurve

I thought you were going to say.. in case he got cold.. ha ha.. :D

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  19. Swampash

Swampash Senior Stratmaster

in exchange for being milked like a cow for advertising data... thanks, I'll pay extra for privacy

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.