Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

one-owner korean strat, help with color?

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by rachelrox, Mar 21, 2010.

1. rachelrox

rachelrox New Member!

Hello! I purchased this guitar brand new in 1993. I remember picking it out because the color wasn't the usual. However, in recent years, I've become completely stumped, as I've not ever seen another strat in this color. It's definitely not a repaint... every last piece on the guitar is stock except for the strings. The closest Fender color I can compare it to is Maui Blue. Serial on headstock is CN310448. Has anyone else ever seen a squier strat like this?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  2. Stratplayer

Stratplayer Senior Stratmaster

While differences in lighting may have affected how it looks in one picture compared to the other, to me it looks most like Lucerne Aqua Firemist:

Color Chart

3. rachelrox

rachelrox New Member!

I checked out your suggestion, and it's too dark and has a hint of green (mine is blue through and through; what I would call a very deep baby blue). I definitely appreciate the info; I looked through all fender's blue colors and none are even close; all too light or too dark. The pictures I've attached are pretty true to actual color. I'm wondering if the color is non-standard since it is a Korean-made Squier?

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. mijstratsq

mijstratsq Senior Stratmaster

i think your pretty close on the maui blue...i havnt seen one in a while but thats how i remember them from the international color series early 80s...

6. T-Bodz Terry B.

T-Bodz Terry B. Most Honored Senior Member

Looks very close to Maui Blue to me....

Attached Files:

7. Stratplayer

Stratplayer Senior Stratmaster

Wish they would simplify things a little by just calling colors what they actually are...like turquoise for this one...

8. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Senior Stratmaster

I found a Fender Japan color chart from the 80's and they show a blue very similar to yours and it is labeled "CBL" and then some Japanese lettering that I can't read.

The chart is a .pdf file so I can't load up here.

That Maui blue does look like a winner though.

By the by, great looking guitar!!!

9. midwestsurfer

midwestsurfer New Member!

I've been trying to figure out this color too!

I too bought one of these Korean Strats in '93 - same color, except with a rosewood fretboard. I wish I still had it. The best I can come up with is either Taos Turquoise or Maui Blue.

10. 3 chord

3 chord Strat-Talk Member

11. cortley

cortley Strat-Talk Member

I had one in the same color. couldn't do much to improve it, tried new pickups but didn't sound any better, so I sold it on ebay.I just called it baby blue.

12. guitarguy53

guitarguy53 New Member!

Let there be no doubt about what you have. A 1993 Squire Strat made in the Cort Plant the color "Maui Blue"! The color was a very limited run,produced for only one year.

I have one exactly like yours with the exception my has a "rosewood" fret board! Unless your starving or homeless "don't sell it" chances of finding another is very unlikley indeed!

13. rachelrox

rachelrox New Member!

Mystery solved

Guitarguy53, I still have my strat, and I appreciate the confirmation of the color and its rarity! I won't be letting it go anytime soon.

14. marshallfender

marshallfender Strat-Talker

Thanx guitarguy53 for that info. Now I know my Teles color too!! ImageUploadedByStrat-Talk forum1431198983.026795.jpg ImageUploadedByStrat-Talk forum1431199007.745977.jpg ImageUploadedByStrat-Talk forum1431199025.396934.jpg ImageUploadedByStrat-Talk forum1431199058.287621.jpg

15. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Senior Stratmaster

It isn't a Squier either. It is a Squier Series. They were sold as Fenders, not Squiers, according to Fender.
    I have the CN2 model, in both the Squier Series and the Squier, about 6K apart on the serial. The necks are the only thing that is the same between them, and even then, one of them is a one piece slab maple and the other is a Rosewood fretboard type. There are no interchangeable parts unless they are screws between the two.

16. Lonn

Lonn Administrator Staff Member

Admin Post
    They were sold as fenders for marketing purposes. They're a hybrid with "regular" necks and bodies and less expensive everything else. They're awesome because you can usually get them cheap.

17. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Senior Stratmaster

Not correct, and that leads people to think they are Squiers, which they are not.
    There is not a single interchangeable part unless it is a neck or a pickguard. Even the necks and pickguards are different on mine. They are 6000 apart from the same plant. Even the bodies are not made out of the same material.
    The bodies are different sizes and thicknesses. They are made out of different laminates, one of which is heavy, and one of which is pretty light. They don't have the same tuners. They don't have the same electronics or pickups. They have different pickguards usually. They have a different bridge, different saddles, and different string spacing. They even have different tone blocks on the tremolos.
    Maybe they use the same strap buttons and string guides. End of direct comparison with the Squier off the same line, during the same time period.
    There is a whole lot more to them than just a different water slide and a marketing job. I have them sitting side by side. They are not even the same height.

Where someone got the idea that they are the same as the Squiers from the same plant, with a different name, would be interesting to know. They are nothing like the Squier offering.
    They are the Korean Strat, just like there are Mexican, Japanese, and USA strats, all with different specs.
    That is what Fender said about them, and what you will find if you take one of each apart and do a little investigation/comparison.
    I am not trying to bump my guitar up or trying to make my guitar better than anything. For me, it fits me. It doesn't need to do else, and it will never be for sale.
    I just like to keep this one straight. I have of one of each in pretty good shape sitting beside me. I value them pretty much equally, and the Squier is likely worth more, because it is almost like new.
    The Squier Series are a completely different guitar, that if the body had been made of a solid wood product, would be more valuable today than the MIM's of the same time period, IMO. Japanese versions more valuable than either.

Did the Japanese strats of that time use the two magnet MIM type ceramics like the Squier Series and the MIM? If not, what pickups did the Japanese version use?

I like the present day Standard with the two point bridge better myself, but they each have specific strengths. They also all require entirely different amp setups.

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  18. Michael A.

Michael A. Strat-Talker

I'm also glad to finally know the name of the color, and that is was a one year run only. Here's mine, which still has Squier Series on the head stock. The previous owner added the vintage tuners and I added the brass saddles. Even though the body is ply, this is a very resonant and warm-toned guitar. The blue color in the second photo is closer to the true color.

Attached Files:

19. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

According to Woolbright, here are the Squier blue colors:

502 Lake Placid Blue
    504 Daphne Blue
    513 Blue Sparkle
    569 Atlantic Blue Metallic
    587 Cobalt Blue Metallic
    595 Metallic Blue

Please send the Woolbright guy an update for the (583 Maui Blue) color, and he may be able to get it in the next revision.

20. Michael A.

Michael A. Strat-Talker

I think the Woolbright file deals with Squiers, and not the Fender-labeled Squier Series guitars. As stated by Ahnlaashock above. I don't see where the Fender colors would fit within that document.

Guitarguy53, are you aware the original post was from 5 years ago? I'm very glad you dug up this color confirmation however!

21. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Good point about the Squier Series, thanks.

There seems to be quite a few references to Maui Blue on various forums.