Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Orange crush 35rt?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Morf2540, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Morf2540

Morf2540 Strat-Talker

Nov 8, 2017
    Philadelphia, PA
    I have had negative impressions of solid state amps (I'm not a snob, really), but I played an Orange Crush 35 recently and liked it. Now I'm feeling like it could serve a purpose for me, as a practice amp and grab-and-go for informal jams, etc, something I don;t mind bouncing around in the back of the car. At the moment my smallest amp is a Princeton Reverb, which I prize, and is more serious than I need for some situations. Was leaning toward looking for a used Fender Pro Jr, but then kinda liked this Orange and figured I can get one used for around $150, and benefit from the gain channel, etc.

So the question is: what do people who have these Orange Crush amps think of them? How would it compare to, say, a Fender Champion 40 (which I am not familiar with)? As an aside, I have played both Blackstar and Katana, and really did not care for them. Not looking for a modeling amp. Just simple, good, versatile, small, inexpensive, SS quality. Thanks!

2. Morf2540

Morf2540 Strat-Talker

Nov 8, 2017
    Philadelphia, PA
    OK, then. Guess I'll give that Orange a closer listen before I rush into anything....

3. Morf2540

Morf2540 Strat-Talker

Nov 8, 2017
    Philadelphia, PA
  4. gwjensen

gwjensen Senior Stratmaster

There's a pro on TDPRI who gigs with one and swears by it. My son like his, too. But, not my cup of tea.

5. Morf2540

Morf2540 Strat-Talker

Nov 8, 2017
    Philadelphia, PA
    Actually that first video was very informative. Orange vs Peavey Studio Pro. I had never even heard of that Peavey. And in the video it sounds much better than the Orange. Guess I'll have to learn about that Peavey now, too.

6. Kayden33

Kayden33 Strat-O-Master

Apr 23, 2017
    Knoxville, TN
    I previously owned a Orange Crush Pro 100. It was decent but I don’t think it was anything I’d buy again. I assume the Crush 35RT is just similar but smaller package. Cleans were decently good till I turned them up and at that time it started to sound not so great. The overdrive was so so but nothing I was to happy about using.

As a practice amp it’d be great. If jamming with others or playing live then I’d say forget it.

Again this is just my opinion. I’d rather ride a Fender Champion 40 and use a overdrive/distortion pedal if needed.

7. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

Feb 27, 2018
    North Central NC
    I believe the Peavey was more Fender-style mid scooped. That's why I don't like reviews when the guy says "I've set all the controls to 12 o'clock". It's entirely possible that just turning down the mid on the Orange would make it sound like the Peavey, or that turning up the mid on the Peavey would make it sound like the orange. The only way to really find out which you like better is to try them both, and experiment with the tone controls.

Bob the builder likes this.
  8. Morf2540

Morf2540 Strat-Talker

Nov 8, 2017
    Philadelphia, PA
    Yeah, you're right. All the shootout reviews do that, and it's always bugged me. 6 on one amp might equal 4 on another amp, but you never hear that on the video. I've never played the Champion, but have heard good things about it. Yet for this next one I think I'll stay away from Fender for the sake of variety. Someone told me I should check out the Roland Blues Cube also.

9. Lester H

Lester H Strat-Talker

Jun 6, 2018
    Kansas
    Peavey red stripe envoy 110 40 watt amp was a favorite of mine. Lightweight and sounded even better turned up. It was more tubelike than any solid state amp I ever played. When I bought it I had full intentions of leaving the store with a blues junior. Had it in hand and the store owner said have you tried out the newest peavey transtube amps? Nope, so I plugged in and liked it and a/b'd it with the blues junior and left with the peavey with extra change in my pocket.

Mine willingly got stolen. I loaned it to an old friend/once upon a time guitar student of mine. I hadn't seen him in years and he was down on his luck after a divorce and recovering from drugs. He looked me up and said he wanted to get back into playing to occupy his down time from thinking about his ex wife and doing drugs so I loaned him my envoy. Never saw him again. Probably traded it for a hit of meth somewhere or to pay back a loan for drugs in the past. Who knows but I do miss that little amp from time to time.

10. Morf2540

Morf2540 Strat-Talker

Nov 8, 2017
    Philadelphia, PA
    Good tip on the Peavey, I'll check it out.