Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Ordered a Dumbloid today

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by bloomz, Sep 19, 2013.

1. bloomz

bloomz Senior Stratmaster

Sep 17, 2012
    yer mom's house
    Will take a couple weeks, shipping from Japan. Based on huge recommendations from teleman on TGP, who I think knows D-sound overdrives.

Will report back.

I put my Wiz-Pedal D on ebay to cover it.

circles likes this.

2. bloomz

Sep 17, 2012
    yer mom's house
    Posted this on TGP but damn they're a tough crowd there - a few of them ready to jump on and dis anything it seems.....cest la vie

Had Dumbloid for about a week now.....

Due to it being expensive, and having already another expensive drive pedal (Ethos).....and the fact that I am not and will never be a gigging musician and play only to impress myself and irritate my wife (especially with high gain sounds - she's crazy about those - lol)

I'm trying my best to prove I don't need it, that the Ethos can do it - and it's *pretty* close but just can't find that cigar.

The Dumbloid "drive" just has more "body" to it. So far the ethos drive channel sounds just a bit thinner to me. Don't get me wrong - I strongly doubt I will ever not have the Ethos.

I haven't tried that many like teleman has - but nothing I've heard has that "body" with their gain sound like the Dumbloid.

If I could find that same sound from my Ethos - I'd flip it, and I have seriously been trying. To no avail so far.

It puts hair on notes like King Kong.

Tim Lerch did a Ethos Zendrive comparison that showed me Ethos could get pretty much the exactly same sounds as Zendrive - and there doing saved me having to buy a Zen to prove it to myself. So Zendrive? Got that covered by Ethos.

Dumbloid?

I'm a bit surprised it prices even more than an Ethos preamp cuz Ethos has a lot more circuitry and options in it - but Shin's either stumbled his way into an incredible circuit here or bubble gum gooped some magic or whatever - but damn what a nice gain sound.

Best I've ever heard coming from my stuff.

and sreynolds is way right - when you sound good you play good, and I've never played better in my life than the last week or so

Fettmajik117 likes this.

3. 76 Tele

76 Tele Strat-Talker

Apr 29, 2012
    Asheville
    Yea the Dumbloid is so sweet. I've had a slight, ok maybe more, fetish for the Dumble tone & feel. I've had literally every Dumble-inspired pedal since '99 when Brian released the Howie. The Dumbloid compared to all the rest is night & day. This thing has the feel & tone unlike no other I've played. The harmonics & "bloom" is second to no other. The price is fairly large, I've paid more for Cornish gear, but to me it nails the Dumble sound & feel. I would strongly suggest one to anyone that loves "that" tone. It's pretty special.

Fettmajik117 likes this.

4. D.Allen

D.Allen Senior Stratmaster

Jun 22, 2010
    SF Bay Area
    I agree, I had one for a very short time it was amazing. I let Johnny Duke play it and he asked if he could borrow it on tour for a couple shows. Then he sent me a check for it an said he had to have it and it changed the way he played. I have another one coming. Lots of haters for this pedal I think because of the price but it is really sweet sounding.

Fettmajik117 likes this.

5. 76 Tele

76 Tele Strat-Talker

Apr 29, 2012
    Asheville
    And paired with your P-51 pickups, this has to be the best tone I've ever had. Anyone looking for a great PAF pickup you have to try these P-51 by Dave. I've owned so many but there is something really, really special about these pups. Simply elegant!

6. adamsx

adamsx Strat-O-Master

Oct 28, 2012
    NJ
    It sounds nice. However, someone has recently degooped the internals and the circuit and its values are available on the net. If I had a spare $600 I'd buy one, but im just waiting for the clones to start pouring in.

7. bloomz

Sep 17, 2012
    yer mom's house
    Where?

AFAIK they're not being made public. At least not yet - tho he did confirm that Shin "borrowed a few ideas".

8. adamsx

adamsx Strat-O-Master

Oct 28, 2012
    NJ
    I came across a de-gooped picture of the board the other day.. forgot to bookmark it.

[​IMG]

There it is with goop. Without goop there were very little components on the board. I'll try to find the pic again. And I also came across a wiring diagram with values in the same thread with the de-gooped pic.

9. adamsx

adamsx Strat-O-Master

Oct 28, 2012
    NJ
    wait nevermind.. the picture without goop was a joke.. the board was of another pedal.. but the above picture is correct i think.. the one with goop

I've been reading its just a modded zendrive. Sure does sound nice on the clips I've seen though. But little out of my price range. i mean.. thats half an amp

10. bloomz

Sep 17, 2012
    yer mom's house
    Those that know far more than me claim that it is definitely not a zendrive.

It has been reversed and there are some way nice looking and sounding pedals available that are based on that design.

I don't think he has posted it here yet but in the builders forum at the gear place, with pictures and clips

I sold mine because of the high price and I bought another guitar - not because I didn't absolutely love the sound.

I'll definitely have another one quite soon.

11. 76 Tele

76 Tele Strat-Talker

Apr 29, 2012
    Asheville
    This sounds nothing like either my Zendrive 1 or 2. A tweaked design? Maybe. I'm partial to blue as well. Let the skeptics & cynics hate. I'll keep rocking the 'Loid!!

Attached Files:

12. D.Allen

Jun 22, 2010
    SF Bay Area
    Thank you so much for your kind words 76 Tele

13. D.Allen

Jun 22, 2010
    SF Bay Area
    Why do people use terms like "Reverse Engineer" and "Clone" when they steal someone's design and then they want to sell it, and for less to justify their thievery and think that this behavior is alright????
    I understand if it is a vintage product or one no longer in production/manufacture but when it is a new or current product why do they think this is ok and why would you buy one from someone who did this?
    So do you buy from people or companies that practice this behavior? If so you are rewarding this. To me it's like saying I love this new song but it costs to much so I will buy one and then sell it for half to everyone who wants it.
    Sorry I am on a soap box and will get down now. Just my thought on this subject of stealing.

14. Bad Monkey

Bad Monkey Senior Stratmaster

Oct 8, 2013
    Texas

Simple economics my friend. I'm not a rich man. So why should I not be able to have what I want just because some guy thinks his pedal or amp or whatever is worth X amount?...when someone else will sell you THE EXACT SAME SOUND for way less? I could care less what the brand name says on the box...just give me the sounds I want for a price I can afford. I think it's ridiculous to have to pay $300-$600 for $50 worth of electronics...heck don't even powder coat and stamp the box with a graphic...I really don't care about that either.

bloomz likes this.

15. buffalo0993

buffalo0993 Senior Stratmaster

Jun 16, 2013
    Texas
    I agree with this,

Notice, these kind of things don't happen much when the thing being copied is reasonably priced.

When you put a ridiculous price on your product with giant profit margins, your just asking for these kind of things to happen

bloomz likes this.

16. Bad Monkey

Oct 8, 2013
    Texas
    Exactly!

17. buffalo0993

buffalo0993 Senior Stratmaster

Jun 16, 2013
    Texas
    Plus there's a giant chance that he took an already existing design and modified it. That's what most pedal makers do.

18. Bad Monkey

Oct 8, 2013
    Texas

again...exactly!

19. D.Allen

Jun 22, 2010
    SF Bay Area
    So to steal someone's design is ok then as long as the thief sells it cheap enough for you. So the guy who develops and spends many many hours testing and trying new designs and testing should say his time and cost are free and sell the product for what you feel is affordable? And should the distributor make zero? And how about the store? They should not make anything either? This is not how a market can survive. If someone wants to try an sell a product, pedal in this case, for $600 I say let him. If nobody or not enough people buy it the price will have to drop or they will have to stop making them. I am just surprised that people actually support stealing as long as they get to buy it cheaper.
    This bothers me a lot. If this continues why would anyone want to devote the time and money to create new products?

circles, johnthomas and Fettmajik117 like this.