Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Orders placed for Bullet mods

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by Uncle Bob, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Strat-O-Master

Jan 5, 2017
    Almost heaven
    I've got orders placed to update my recently purchased Bullet hardtail

From Amazon, a Weller solder station, other piece-parts needed like solder, wick, etc. Having left the items in my shopping cart for a while, it was surprising to me that the price of tinned copper seems to fluctuate on a daily basis.

From Stew-Mac, a Les Paul Jr. deluxe wiring kit and black Gibson style mirror knobs. I checked to ensure the same length wire wires are included in both the LP and Strat kits, so I know I won't come up short on wire.

From Warmoth, a 3-ply white single slanted humbucker pickguard with holes only for 1 volume, 1 tone, no switch.

From Guitar Fetish, a Mean 90 humbucker sized P90 with a nickel cover. I couldn't see any reason to pay more, TBH.

I will build the harness per the demonstration given here, with the knobs on strat spacing of course.

I'm going to try to use a terminal block for the pickup and jack connections, so it will all come back apart in case I change my mind later. Once the harness is assembled I won't have to apply heat to the pots or jack ever again. If it works reliably, that is.

I should be putting it all together this weekend, the last piece should be the pick guard and delivery is predicted for this Friday on that order. It will be a fun way to spend a couple of hours.

Raiders757 likes this.

2. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Strat-O-Master

Jan 5, 2017
    Almost heaven

3. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 17, 2017
    Idaho
    I have a set of Dream 90s in a SG Special and some GFS Gold Foil in a Strat build and they are decent pickups.

Uncle Bob likes this.

4. That635Guy

That635Guy Strat-Talker

Oct 26, 2017
    Delaware Ohio
    Sounds like fun!

Uncle Bob likes this.

5. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Strat-O-Master

Jan 5, 2017
    Almost heaven
    I put the costs for everything involved in a spreadsheet - don't do that.

StillAlive&Well likes this.

6. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Strat-O-Master

Jan 5, 2017
    Almost heaven
    More today, the rest tomorrow, fitting the pickguard and soldering this weekend.

IMG_1782.JPG

7. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Strat-O-Master

Jan 5, 2017
    Almost heaven
    The parts are all here now. I've got to do some trimming on the pickguard and also on the body (due to the angled bridge pickup).

Is the easiest way to open up the routing just to drill holes until the wood to be removed is gone? In the photo below it's in the upper left side of the opening, but can't be seen because I took a sharpie and marked it off for removal. Also note the mark where I need to open up around the bridge some more.

IMG_1783.JPG
    IMG_1784.JPG

This shows the wood I have to remove

IMG_1786.JPG

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    Raiders757 likes this.

8. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 17, 2017
    Idaho
    Looks like a fun weekend Bob.

9. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Strat-O-Master

Jan 5, 2017
    Almost heaven
    Ugly but functional.

IMG_1788.JPG

I should've taken the ground for the braided shield down to the tone pot instead of soldering it to the volume pot.

I found some sort of an end mill in my Dremel case, so I'm going to try to use that to trim the body for the pickup. I've also got abrasive wheels for it to cut the little bit needed off the pickguard.

Raiders757 likes this.

10. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    Hmmmmmm

No tuners??? :eek:

11. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Strat-O-Master

Jan 5, 2017
    Almost heaven
    First attempt, the pickup is magnetized but no sound. At least I tested it before stringing it up.

12. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Strat-O-Master

Jan 5, 2017
    Almost heaven
    I don't know for sure what was wrong, but it's fixed now.

IMG_1793.JPG

I was using the shielded wire that came with the kit between the volume pot and the output jack. Since that didn't work out so well, I switched to using a terminal block, all the grounds come together there, along with the output to the jack. There is a velcro patch there in the route to hold it.

With that, and the GF QuikPlug on the pickup, I can take it all apart without resoldering anything.

Raiders757 likes this.

13. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Strat-O-Master

Jan 5, 2017
    Almost heaven
    IMG_1797.JPG

Another potato.

Raiders757 and That635Guy like this.

14. That635Guy

That635Guy Strat-Talker

Oct 26, 2017
    Delaware Ohio

15. Bkmn5

Bkmn5 Strat-Talk Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Martinez,Ca

16. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Strat-O-Master

Jan 5, 2017
    Almost heaven
    It just sort of sounds like a P90. Full tone, it sort of sounds like a telecaster, turn it the other way, it drops down and starts to sound like a humbucker (that hums). Somewhere in between is the sweet spot where it starts to get the punk sound I'm after.

17. Raiders757

Raiders757 Senior Stratmaster

Sep 2, 2016
    Virginia
    Very true. I modded my Bullet Tele for fun. Completely gutted it. The cost of pups, pots, wiring, and tuners cost more than the guitar is worth. Sounds and plays great, was a lot of fun, and in the end, well worth it.

By-the-way, nice guitar.