Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

original 62 black strat (heavy relic)

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by Markt, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Markt

Markt Strat-Talk Member

This is my 62 strat, which i got from my uncle. Its had a hard life and been at the side of the same musician since it was new. It plays very nicely, creamy sounds which are far better than my 2007 american standard strat. It needs some work on the head stock, which at some point in its life (i suspect 1978 when LSD went huge) he decided to drill the headstock and swop over the tuning pegs??????

I want to restore that part as best i can in order to preserve its value and originality. There is an old case from the 80's, but thats it. No cover on the back, where the tremola springs have been replaced, but apart from that its standard. I haven't yet removed the neck to see if the date was pencilled or stamped. The frets are good for 62, because it gets played. But a refret would be nice.

He was also kind enough to sell the 64 Fender super Reverb amp with it. They make a great pair. Any advice for me on how best to get it restored and what to do to enhance or maintain its value. Also any ideas what its worth would also be welcome. I have also promised it to my daughter when i'm gone. Hope she appreciates it. I'll take some better shots tonight!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
    Yves likes this.

2. thaus

thaus Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 6, 2007
    London Canada
    Now that's road-worn! Thanks for posting and the info and history of guitars like this is what it's all about............

3. Bruster

Bruster Strat-O-Master

Jul 4, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Holy Smokes!

That is WONDERFUL!! Welcome to the forum. Keep us up to date on how you go, if you do decide to restore it. I think it is awesome either way!

4. Markt

Markt Strat-Talk Member

Will do, I'm taking it in this week to get a peak at the neck dating. And get the intonation sorted. I live in South Africa, and wonder how many came here? I can't imagine many black 62 strats are running around here, even in the road worn condition ;) Is this a custom color then?

5. Bruster

Bruster Strat-O-Master

Jul 4, 2008
    Hong Kong
    You're a jaapie!! that's great! Not many of us around here! Welcome!

6. gcconspiracy

gcconspiracy Strat-O-Master

Jul 21, 2008
    Canada
    beautiful instrument, I love the character that old guitars take on, it just oozes out of them in a way that a "relic" never could match!

7. joeybsyc

joeybsyc Senior Stratmaster

Jan 11, 2009
    PA
    damn! Awesome strat... I love vintage guitars!

8. jmpro

jmpro Strat-Talk Member

May 17, 2008
    So Cal
    Not to be critical but the black seems to be over a blond finish underneath. I suspect the black is not the original finish. Back in old days Fender was known for covering the original finish with a solid color if it did not turn out right. I am not sure if blond was an available finish in 62.

JMPRO

9. Markt

Markt Strat-Talk Member

how do i add more images to this post?

10. Markt

Markt Strat-Talk Member

More pics of my 62 vintage strat

Hope you enjoy these. I need some ideas as to how to restore the headstock?

Attached Files:

11. patl

patl Strat-O-Master

Dec 31, 2008
    North Bend, WA
    Thanks for sharing the story of this guitar. IT's great to see pieces of history like this.

12. Markt

Markt Strat-Talk Member

last shots

Black beauty
    You can see its not a slab neck, which is weird cos the serial is bang in the middle for a pre CBS 62, (not an L series.) So i imagine they fitted a 63 type neck? was this common?

Attached Files:

13. Markt

Markt Strat-Talk Member

I'll upload some closer paint shots, if you look closely you can see it has a white undercoat, white/grey which was the undercoat for the black custom color? Also had the very thin laquer over the black which you can see the stress fractures showing through. It's nice and light, i think its Alder, its not a blond underneath there, its the wood under the undercoat, which has worn off very nicely.

14. Markt

Markt Strat-Talk Member

head stock and paint

as far as i know this is the original paint job, no re-finishing, factory or otherwise. Any advice or insight here? thanks guys.

Attached Files:

15. stratagem

stratagem Strat-Talker

Mar 27, 2009
    College Station, TX
    Markt,

You've got a beauty there. I'm not able to advise you on how to preserve the value of the guitar or amp but my advice on the headstock issue would be to leave it as is. LSD is part of the history of that guitar and I wouldn't change that. I would predict that a fixed headstock would fetch the same value as a holy one but the other folks on this forum would know better.

I would kill for a guitar and amp like the one you have. Congrats, thanks for sharing.

16. Orbit

Orbit Senior Stratmaster

Dec 31, 2008
    New Mexico
    heh... who was it that was just asking how to repair a faint scratch on the back of his a few days ago and we all got into fix it or not ?

----> points to this strat

17. elementlax

elementlax Senior Stratmaster

Feb 4, 2009
    Central Ohio
    haha,
    wow, that is beutiful. too bad modern strats will never be so valuable

18. joeybsyc

joeybsyc Senior Stratmaster

Jan 11, 2009
    PA
    Its junk, sell it to me and buy a new one... Heck, come to think of it I have a 60's series in the same color but in perfect condition I'll swap ya even-steven. haha... seriously though, what's something like this worth as it sits? 10-15K? More/ less?

19. Bruster

Bruster Strat-O-Master

Jul 4, 2008
    Hong Kong
    I tend to agree with what's been said above. Leave it as is...It tells it's own story. Great to see it up close. Whatever you do, keep us posted please. There have been a few similar guitars with owners apparently going to have them repaired, and we haven't heard the outcome!

20. Markt

Markt Strat-Talk Member

Will do, it has to go to Joburg to get sorted, the only thing i want is for the headstock to be repaired and have the decal placed back on. I love the body wear, its the way it is because it has been played its entire life. And maybe a refret, I think its going to Andy McGibbon, the nut is not correct, neither are the screws for the strap, and trem springs. I want the period correct bone nut.