Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

original 62 black strat (heavy relic)

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by Markt, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Markt

Markt Strat-Talk Member

Hmmm thats very nice to hear that. Will the headstock restoration improve that value? Also that £5k is that for the custom colour as well? Or is that a value for the sunburst.

2. jkemmery

jkemmery Strat-Talker

Apr 2, 2009
    Missouri U.S.A.
    I think you got a great deal, considering a brand new custom shop would set you back at least that. Very sweet.

3. Markt

Markt Strat-Talk Member

Thanks Russ, nice to hear that. Any idea if that 5k is the value with the custom color? So I can safely assume it's worth £6-7k?

4. RussV

RussV Strat-O-Master

Dec 8, 2008
    UK
    I think £5000 would be the minimum value of the guitar without a custom colour. I think there's a certain amount of chance in selling these things. If you find the right buyer they will pay a premium to own a guitar they really want, maybe even £9-10K.
    The dealer below does valuations. They are in London but may be willing to do one based on photographs. They might also advise you getting the headstock repaired and it's effect on value. If you don't plan to sell, just treat it as a valuable item and enjoy playing it (that's what I do!)

Services - Vintage and Rare Guitars

5. RussV

RussV Strat-O-Master

Dec 8, 2008
    UK

6. Markt

Markt Strat-Talk Member

Its rocking and rolling in my collection. It's one of those things that you pick up only very rarely in your lifetime so i'm not keen to shift it on anytime soon, even for those big numbers you mentioned. Like yours its a thing of pleasure to pick up and play after a long hard day, and never ceases to make me smile! Russ thanks for the help with this one.

7. casualofender

casualofender Senior Stratmaster

Jan 17, 2009
    Dallas TX
    Nice pics and story.
    you chose your relatives well.

8. gaddis

gaddis Strat-O-Master

Jul 27, 2008
    New York
    Man, what was that guy thinking when he moved the tuning pegs? Not only did he screw up the straightness of the string path, but it looks like the B string would touch the E string tuning peg.

9. Markt

Markt Strat-Talk Member

LOL thanks gaddis ... 3 letters LSD ! And the 70's ;)

10. Markt

Markt Strat-Talk Member

some more pics and a vid

hey guys, i have some more pics and a video which ill post later.Check out my 2.9 yr old daughter having a jam. The vid is of me playing...im no hendrix so just try and ignore me and listen to the tone. ;) Its not on my 66 fender vintage, its through my little (crappy) practice amp, but i still think this guitar sounds AMAZING.

It needs some intotation work, but its still a joy to play. I'm not using any effects, like reverb or others. Youtube link to follow.

Attached Files:

11. Markt

Markt Strat-Talk Member

12. RussV

RussV Strat-O-Master

Dec 8, 2008
    UK
    Hi Mark,
    Glad to see you got the headstock holes filled. The intonation should be easy to fix. Do you have the bridge screwed down? Nice to hear it played, I prefer the neck pickup on mine.

13. Markt

Markt Strat-Talk Member

ya the bridge is screwed down. I like the neck pickup most aswell,( is that toggle switch to the top?) the headstock still needs to be redone with a decal and a full restoration. And possibly the refret.

14. BadBrad

BadBrad Strat-O-Master

Jun 14, 2009
    Maryland
    I'll give you $100 for that old beat up thing. :D

Actually, back in the $70's it probably would trade hands for $100, or less. I met someone who once found a 1920's Gibson F-5 mandolin in a dumpster back then. Someone had broken the neck so they threw it away -- it was just an old broken mandolin back then. The guy who found it was poor so he took it from the trash and repaired it. Those mandolins are now worth more than my house. I've heard similar stories about pre-war Martin guitars being traded dirt cheap back then. And a 1959 Les Paul or pre-CBS strat wasn't worth much back then either. If only I could have bought some of these instruments back then.

15. Markt

Markt Strat-Talk Member

HAHA, na i'll keep it thanks. Its a real story teller, i will put the full history up when i have some time. It's lived a very interesting life, and bizarrly landed in my hands. But that said i had for years been wanting a classis 70's strat, specifically a 78, my birth year, and had heard from my mother in law that her brother had an old guitar. I called him up and he said come see it, its a 69!!! I went straight over and in the outside room he showed me this. At first i was a bit disapointed because i thought it would need to be immmaculate. I now realise its so much more interesting with the battle scars, and each one tells a story. I'll play it through the vintage 66 fender super reverb tonight on over drive... and post a vid.

16. gliderider22

gliderider22 Senior Stratmaster

Jun 13, 2009
    U.S.A
    a real treasure, you're very lucky!

17. bowhunter

bowhunter Strat-O-Master

Mar 1, 2009
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Yes a real treasure,Thanks for posting the video`s I enjoyed them!

18. Malikon

Malikon Dark Cabaret

Sep 2, 2009
    Chicago
    sweet guitar, you got a great deal, especially with that amp too!

19. wht1

wht1 Strat-Talk Member

May 28, 2009
    PA
    The veneer rosewood fretboard is correct for mid-62 and later. I've got a strat neck stamped Jul 62 which is also veneer, so the transition from slab board to veneer fingerboards occured about that time. The serial number for my 62 strat is 840xx, so they probably came out of the factory around the same time. If you ever pull the neck, post the pic. I'll bet it's around July or August 1962.