Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by Markt, Mar 30, 2009.
Hi Mark, glad to see you back and that you still have the guitar. Looking forward to the pics.
WOW!! Hi all, I have finally after nearly ten years of searching found an exact 62 neck to replace this one with. I have purchased this neck from the states, and now have it in SA with me with a master builder for restoration. What are the chances fo finding a 62 neck with the exact date, year and profile. So happy to finally put this one together in the right way.
Lovely age and beauty marks
Good things come to those who wait I guess!!
BTW, the new neck is from a hardtail strat eh?
not sure, this is the old neck.
If you look at the decal there are no patent numbers for the tremolo system. So probably a neck from a hardtail... Doesn't really matter, you found a neck...
ah yes, but i believe that the decal is incorrect and was a custom shop replacement which will have to go,
Possibly, but as @Mipstoo says, the hard tail logos were exactly like that. I don't know that I've seen a custom shop logo without the "with synchronized tremolo" tagline.
I wouldn't rush to remove that decal....
interesting, thanks for the advice and input, very valuable.
It's been a long time. I'm glad you kept the Strat. The new neck looks fine to me. That old rosewood grain looks just right. My Strat doesn't have the full transfer decal but I know it's an original.
Hi, Russ V. Where have you been? Don't hear from many of the old pre-CBS posters these days.
Good to hear from you!
thanks Russ, the neck is finally in my hands, wow! What a journey. We can start to put her back together.
Hope to see some pics!
UPDATE* After taking the guitar apart we discussed the colour, as you guessed it was refinished in the late 60's to the black. Drum roll, once the paint was stripped we found the original colour, Fiesta Red. The old guitar headstock is also getting repaired, the new 62 neck got the correct decal, and a clean up. Will keep you updated, I am astounded by the quality of the workmanship, the old drilled headstock looks almost perfect and with some airbrushing and the decal will really look the part. More to come....
Impressed by the headstock repair! Looking forward to the end result.
Wow! That's a brave repair to that original headstock!! Personally, I'd have put a paperthin veneer of maple on either side to cover the plugged holes I think
I'd have to see more of the old pics but the black looked good. I did notice in one pic that the worm route didn't appear to be frayed which is the sign of a refin.
As far as the neck they stopped the slab boards in the July-August timeframe of 1962. So, being a rounded fretboard is correct for late 1962.
I would drill out those holes and replace the plugs with some rock maple. One thing I've done and have seen others do as well is to try to match the wood the best that you can. Then, you can even use some very light paint to try to simulate the grain from the original wood going over the plugs. If you don't like the look of that there are two other options. You can try to do a very thin veneer of maple over the front and back of the headstock. That will cover them look great. The other option is a thin veneer of maple on the back of the headstock and having the front sprayed black to match the body. That was an option that was very rarely used back then on strats. I recently saw a 63 dakota red with a matching headstock. It looks pretty sweet.
Late to the party I see. You got it fixed already and it looks good.
Awesome!! Amazing project!
Finally! It is complete. Over ten long years to bring this to a conclusion it deserves. Thanks to Andy for a wonderful job. Not great pics I will take proper ones next week when I collect. Enjoy. Thanks guys.